• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are Seltzers Counted as Beer for Cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISNEYNY

DIS Veteran
Hello,

We are going on our first Disney Cruise Wednesday and trying to plan everything out! Can anyone confirm if hard seltzers (Truly or Whitelaw etc.) are allowed to be carried on the boat for our 6 pack? In my mind, they are the same as beer, but not sure if Disney has rules on this?

TIA!

Hello,

We are going on our first Disney Cruise Wednesday and trying to plan everything out! Can anyone confirm if hard seltzers (Truly or Whitelaw etc.) are allowed to be carried on the boat for our 6 pack? In my mind, they are the same as beer, but not sure if Disney has rules on this?

TIA!
As with most DCL "rules" it varies. It depends on the person screening your bags whether they'll let it through or not. It's been reported that some people haven't had a issue, while others were denied.

Technically, the policy says "beer" or "wine/champagne" is allowed. If the item doesn't say "beer" on it, it's not allowed, but, as I said, it's been allowed .....

Based on what I've read on these boards, it sounds like they are more lenient at Port Canaveral than other ports. But, that's very anecdotal. As Shmoo said, YMMV, so brining it is a risk as it could be confiscated (and you won't get it back).

I had friends who brought 3 12 packs of Seltzers for 4 people when we were on the Wish in November last year and security said nothing surprisingly.

Security might just think it's soda. I've never had a security officer open my carry on to see what the bottles were.

Based on what I've read on these boards, it sounds like they are more lenient at Port Canaveral than other ports. But, that's very anecdotal. As Shmoo said, YMMV, so brining it is a risk as it could be confiscated (and you won't get it back).
I don't think they would steal it. I believe you can get anything they confiscate back at the end of the cruise.

I don't think they would steal it. I believe you can get anything they confiscate back at the end of the cruise.
Some confiscated items can be claimed after the cruise. Not alcohol. This is from the website:
  • Alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and not returned and no compensation will be offered.
  • All alcohol brought on board must be in an original unopened container. Partially used bottles and those in which the seal is broken are prohibited.
  • Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers is prohibited and must be discarded prior to entry and no compensation offered.
  • Liquors or spirits or excess wine and beer purchased in ports of call will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Guests must retrieve stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be discarded and no compensation will be offered.
  • Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

It's not stealing if you brought something you were not supposed to and they had to confiscate it. As @bigAWL noted above, the rules clearly state what you can bring, and what happens if you bring something you are not supposed to.

It's not stealing if you brought something you were not supposed to and they had to confiscate it. As @bigAWL noted above, the rules clearly state what you can bring, and what happens if you bring something you are not supposed to.
A lot of people bring stuff they aren't supposed to. They have a place where you can pick it up after the cruise. It's not a big deal.

A lot of people bring stuff they aren't supposed to. They have a place where you can pick it up after the cruise. It's not a big deal.
Yes, I know, and the policy clearly states those items will be held. And the policy also explicitly states that alcohol is treated differently (it is confiscated and not returned/no compensation).

Yes, I know, and the policy clearly states those items will be held. And the policy also explicitly states that alcohol is treated differently (it is confiscated and not returned/no compensation).
Not a huge monetary loss either way. People can determine their own risk.

Since the OP got the answer with the the official policy being posted here, and we are venturing into how to break DCL's rules territory, I am going to close this thread now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter