Are my Magic Bands still good?

anorman

Greetings from The Great White North
My family went to WDW 2 years ago and stayed onsite and therefore received Magic Bands as part of the package. This year we are returning to WDW again for the first time since then but staying offsite.

I was wondering if the batteries in the Magic Bands would likely still be good for our upcoming trip. Is there any way to test them to see how much battery power is left? I would hate to link tickets to the Magic Bands only to discover on arrival that the bands are no good. Also, if we link tickets to the Magic Bands, will the tickets still be valid without the Magic Bands?

The magic bands will work for contact points like FP+ and the entry gates. The battery may or may not work for long range scanning like for ride photos.

You don't actually link the tickets to the magic band, you link them to you in MDE. The ticket itself or the magic band will work when you link it.

I know of no way to check the batteries in old magic bands, but again, unless you are considered about long-range scanning they will work fine.

First off, NOTHING is ever stored or linked to your Magic Bands. Bands are merely a key that accesses your MDE account. EVERYTHING is stored/linked/managed in your MDE account.

All magic bands, provided you have not intentionally deactivated them, will work wherever you have to touch the band to a Mickey head - i.e. park entry and FP. There are 2 RFID chips in each MB. A passive one that does not have a battery (used when touching the hand to the tappoints) and should work forever - and a long range chip that does have a battery, which is how you get certain ride videos in your PhotoPass account. That battery should last 2-3 years. There is no way to test it beforehand.

To your question about tickets. If you add your tickets to your MDE account, you'll be able to use your old hands to enter the parks and FP. You'll also be able to get a plastic ticket card that can also be linked to your MDE account and used for entry and FP. Both are just keys to access the MDE account. You can have multiple keys and they are all interchangeable.

Steve

You are not understanding how magic bands and tickets work.

You magic bands will definitely work for any thing you have to tap for such as park entry and entering FP+ lines.
The long range battery is for features like capturing photos on rides that don't have a touch point to capture them such as 7DMT or FEA.
That battery is said to last 2 years so it may or may not be good still.
If you are concerned and your party will always be together on those attractions then I may recommend that one person gets a new magic band.
Also your tickets don't link directly to your magic bands.
You tickets link to you on MDE.
Your magic bands link to you on MDE.
Your magic bands are just a way to access your tickets.

You can check MDE and see if your bands are linked to your account (they should be). If they are, you can link your current ticket to them. Make sure that you always link any tickets or reservations you have through MDE. As far as I know, there is no way to check the battery.

Another question along these lines - we are also going this year after a 2 year hiatus. I just want new bands - do I have to do anything to let Disney know this when we make our reservations? Or do they just automatically send out new bands?

Another question along these lines - we are also going this year after a 2 year hiatus. I just want new bands - do I have to do anything to let Disney know this when we make our reservations? Or do they just automatically send out new bands?
For every on site stay they send you a set of magic bands. You don’t need to request them! But you might want to customize them after you set up your reservation.

For every on site stay they send you a set of magic bands. You don’t need to request them! But you might want to customize them after you set up your reservation.

Thanks - this is what I thought! And hoped, since I couldn't tell you what became of our old bands!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter