Are Magic Bands worth it anymore?

We buy fresh new ones for every visit. It's a tradition that we use to commemorate each visit. I tend to choose bands in a grey color scheme. whereas DW likes to stick with variations of pink. Adult children march to their own style beat and we're hoping that when the grands finally arrive we can get them into the same tradition.

But since tap-based MB doesn’t require a battery, it never needs to be replaced to work & is much quicker …at least for now).

Actually, it does. I've taken one apart and there is a battery inside. That's why then indicate that the MB may not work forever. It's simply not user replaceable.

As far as the MB vs phone question - I prefer the MB even though I have the phone available. For me it's the K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Scott ) principle and it's the least intrusive method to achieve the task. I work in and enjoy "tech" but it has to make my life easier or be better than other available options and for me my phone + app does not accomplish that as well as the MB alone. I only wish they made the puck smaller because I would actually like to wear it as a ring. That way I could channel my inner "Green Lantern" at the turnstile 😁.

KAngela - have you considered what I call a "vacation phone"? I had a similar job as far as communications. My response to that was to have my own personal phone that the company did not pay for and was never given the number for. When on vacation the company phone stayed on the counter at home, left on. That was it was dead by the time I returned and couldn't even be used till it was charged again. For me it was worth it. If having ANY phone in your pocket reminds you too much of work I would fully understand.

Last edited:
Actually, it does. I've taken one apart and there is a battery inside. That's why then indicate that the MB may not work forever. It's simply not user replaceable.
My understanding is that the battery is for the long range functions, such as linking ride photos to the MB’s associated MDE account, which is the reason an old MB won’t work for that. The Mickey to Mickey touch functions such as tapping into the parks or a ride LL use power from the tap point, not from the MB, and will therefore work “forever.”

BTW I too prefer using my MB rather than my phone. I have a slider that holds a MB puck and slips easily onto my watchband. Not only does it give me all the functionality of a MB, it has saved me quite a lot of money by curing me of my addiction to buying cute MBs! :cutie:

Last edited:
My understanding is that the battery is for the long range functions, such as linking ride photos to the MB’s associated MDE account, which is the reason an old MB won’t work for that. The Mickey to Mickey touch functions such as tapping into the parks or a ride LL use power from the tap point, not from the MB, and will therefore work “forever.”
Exactly 👍

And from all the reports, trying to use one phone for multiple people is agonizing. So many people have reported that it takes FOREVER to toggle to each person's account and scan them through. Each person having a MB is so much quicker.

That is why I won’t load anyone onto my MM pass.

I have a slider that holds a MB puck and slips easily onto my watchband. Not only does it give me all the functionality of a MB, it has saved me quite a lot of money by curing me of my addiction to buying cute MBs! :cutie:
i had to search for that. Thank you, I learned something new today! I'll have to order one for a future trip.

You are assuming everyone will stay with each other at all times.

Okay and everyone then has their own phone in that instance. Point is there is no requirement to have everyone have their own phone if you don't want to.

And from all the reports, trying to use one phone for multiple people is agonizing.

I had done it once on our trip and its dead easy as long as you understand how the Pay app works on Android. Additionally you want to make sure to change the style of each card so you can easily identify each person without needing to click in.

Magic bands are easier but many are making it sound worse than it is. I suspect part of the issue people have is they have cases that are too thick so the reader can't read the phone easily if at all making it harder.

The magic band color choices aren’t great right now. Does everyone think they’ll improve? My husband wants a plain black one that he can use with a watch band slider, and I can’t find plain black.

Magic bands DEFINITELY worth it.

A million times better than again dragging out your now limited battery phone. Ridiculous that an aux battery charger now a total necessity.

As far as the MB vs phone question - I prefer the MB even though I have the phone available. For me it's the K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Scott ) principle and it's the least intrusive method to achieve the task. I work in and enjoy "tech" but it has to make my life easier or be better than other available options and for me my phone + app does not accomplish that as well as the MB alone. I only wish they made the puck smaller because I would actually like to wear it as a ring. That way I could channel my inner "Green Lantern" at the turnstile 😁.

KAngela - have you considered what I call a "vacation phone"? I had a similar job as far as communications. My response to that was to have my own personal phone that the company did not pay for and was never given the number for. When on vacation the company phone stayed on the counter at home, left on. That was it was dead by the time I returned and couldn't even be used till it was charged again. For me it was worth it. If having ANY phone in your pocket reminds you too much of work I would fully understand.

This this and more of this. I've used this approach for a decade now. Specifically I used Google Voice and have always given out that number to any and all employers and have always said I would simply use that number as my work number. I have never ever given my personal number to an employer or put it on my resume.

When I take time off, even for a day, I mean it. I put on DND, turn off all notifications for work email and the work number, and do not turn them back on until I'm back actually working. Separating work time and family time is extremely important and something people struggle with, especially with a fair amount of people joining the WFH club now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter