Are extra magic hours worth it?

That doesn’t work for people with little kids who can’t stay up late.

Yesterday’s close was at 8 pm with the short wait posted around 7:30. That doesn’t seem unreasonably late for families.

All kids are different. I’ve posted here many times about riding Space Mountain right at midnight with my 3 year old daughter several years ago.

It would be impossible to get my bunch up and to a park early, which is fine with me since that wouldn’t be the most efficient use of our time.

Yesterday’s close was at 8 pm with the short wait posted around 7:30. That doesn’t seem unreasonably late for families.

All kids are different. I’ve posted here many times about riding Space Mountain right at midnight with my 3 year old daughter several years ago.

It would be impossible to get my bunch up and to a park early, which is fine with me since that wouldn’t be the most efficient use of our time.

Hey I’m with you. My family declared they would rather go late and so we will. My kid can finally hang until midnight. I just know some people are early birds and so rope drop is easy and more fun for them.

I like to do both honestly.

There are lots of ways to tour the parks. I just like to sometimes point out that the most popular option isn’t always the most efficient.

It's been a few years since I've been to Disney World. I'm thinking about going again in either January or February of 2020 and I have some questions about EMH.

First, I was looking at a calendar for this month (January 2019) and trying to see what the parks hours are and which parks have EMH on certain days. I didn't see any PM EMH hours listed. Do they not have PM hours in January and February, or am I just not seeing it?

Also, how do the parks handle closing the rides? If the park closes at 9:00 PM and we are in a long line at 8:45, do they just cut us off and send us away? Do they make sure everyone in line gets on the ride? Just curious as to how they handle this.

Want to make sure you get an accurate answer here. The more or less 'regular' schedule of EMHs is as follows:

MK - Friday AM EMH / Wednesday PM EMH
Epcot - Thursday AM EMH / Tuesday PM EMH
DHS - Sunday AM EMH / No regularly scheduled PM EMHs
DAK - Saturday & Monday AM EMH / No regularly scheduled PM EMHs

The above is pretty much how it is all year round, with the exception of holidays and certain events where the days of the week may get mixed around depending on the situation. But always check the park calendar because there are exceptions.

There have been periods where Disney has offered more EMHs than the schedule above. Eg, they had near nightly PM EMHs at DAK for around 3 months after Pandora opened summer 2017. DHS saw a two month run of daily AM EMHs after TSL opened. There have been a precious few DHS PM EMHs on the calendar since TLS opening... like only a handful - they are rare. MK will often have daily AM EMHs around Christmas, Easter, etc.

If the park closes at 9pm and has EMH's from 9-11pm, for example - anyone can get in line for any ride right up until 9pm. After 9pm, only EMH-eligible guests can enter a line. CMs will have scanners and/or touchpoints in use to verify EMH eligibility.

That is one of the 'downsides' of PM EMHs. For major headliners that have longer lines still in place at regular park closing, EMH guests don't necessarily have any advantage during the early portion of that EMH time.

But you're comparing apples to oranges. The ONLY parks I advised to get to early were AK and HS and ONLY if they wanted to do FoP or TSL rides. Right now, both of those parks are regularly opening 15-30 min (sometimes even more) BEFORE said 8:00 a.m. opening. So those that are already there are getting in and riding more than one ride before Person B even gets to the park. AND the headliners at these two parks have one hour or more waits all throughout the day, so if Person B wants to ride them without a FP+, they will be standing in that long line while Person A rides two or three MORE rides that Person B won't have time to do.

Then that's not an 8:00am opening, that's a 7:30am opening. ;)

Yes, I know they've been doing that. We actually were at HS for opening day of TSL. We're not rope drop people, not even for opening day of TSL, so we figured we'd show up at 10am and just deal with the insane crowds trying to get into HS. We had a FP+ for SDD, so we weren't worried that we wouldn't get in at all, just figured it'd take an eternity. We showed up at the parking lot around 9am (I forget exact times, but it was a solid hour before the start of our FP+ window) expecting the worst. Imagine our surprise when there was literally nobody in line at the parking ticket booth. We were stunned, but figured certainly we'd hit the mob at security and tap point. Nope. Again, we walked right up and through...even faster than we would on any other regular day. We asked a CM what was going on and that we were expecting a mob. She said "Oh, you should have been here at 5:30am when they opened the gates". :earseek: When we were there, it was still an amazingly massive line just to get into TSL, I think they said it was like a 2-3 hour wait. Thankfully, they did a great job with the FP+ line of getting people in. We waited maybe 10 minutes.

We have enjoyed morning EMH at MK a few times. The only thing to be aware of is that they do keep you moving in the queue. For example at Haunted Mansion, we didn't even get to view the pre-show which makes sense since it is just one way to keep you in line without being in line. But if you like that stuff, just something to be aware of.

As for evening EMH, if you plan to stay until the end I think you can get a lot of use out of them. We particularly enjoy evening EMH at Epcot.

This is incorrect. They don't close the lines early except for very rare occasions like after hours special events and those are publicized well in advance.

If you're there before closing time, you can get in line and will be allowed to ride no matter how long the line is. Most of the waits for the attractions are very short right at closing time, but headliners like FoP may have a 20-30 minute wait.

My timing was off then, but the main point stands - if they let you in line, you can ride. They aren't going to allow folks in line and shut down the ride with folks that waited not being able to ride.

Then that's not an 8:00am opening, that's a 7:30am opening. ;)

Yes, I know they've been doing that. We actually were at HS for opening day of TSL. We're not rope drop people, not even for opening day of TSL, so we figured we'd show up at 10am and just deal with the insane crowds trying to get into HS. We had a FP+ for SDD, so we weren't worried that we wouldn't get in at all, just figured it'd take an eternity. We showed up at the parking lot around 9am (I forget exact times, but it was a solid hour before the start of our FP+ window) expecting the worst. Imagine our surprise when there was literally nobody in line at the parking ticket booth. We were stunned, but figured certainly we'd hit the mob at security and tap point. Nope. Again, we walked right up and through...even faster than we would on any other regular day. We asked a CM what was going on and that we were expecting a mob. She said "Oh, you should have been here at 5:30am when they opened the gates". :earseek: When we were there, it was still an amazingly massive line just to get into TSL, I think they said it was like a 2-3 hour wait. Thankfully, they did a great job with the FP+ line of getting people in. We waited maybe 10 minutes.

It wasn't opening day, but we were there 4 days after 7DMT opened in 2014. The word was that the line had exceeded 300 minutes for most of the day. We arrived about 10 pm after hopping from Epcot. The mass of guests leaving after the fireworks show was unreal.

We got in line about a half hour before closing time. The posted wait was 140 but it didn't seem like there were that many people around. We were on in 20 and had enough time to ride it again before they closed. That wait was 10 minutes. I couldn't imagine waiting 5 hours earlier that same day just for 1 ride.

@Klayfish
"Not picking on you, but to me that's just something I don't understand or see value in. Waiting in what is basically a "line" for 45 minutes just so you can get on one more ride than the person who shows up right when the park opens. Isn't that the same as just waiting in line 45 minutes for that ride without showing up extra early?"
Nope,no, and absolutely no...
While you DO wait in that line before RD, when you get to FOP and are off within 15 minutes, you can then take advantage of the low crowds for all the other attractions in the park.
If you chose to show up right at EMH RD, you'll be waiting 45 minutes to an hour for ONE attraction, and will then be behind everyone else (including general public) the entire rest of the morning. Trust me that line builds quick and there have been waits of 120 - 180 minutes just a few minutes after RD. So, you actually save enormous amounts of time by getting up with the birds!

Yes it is worth the effort but for FOP, yes get there at least 30 mins early on an EMH day. We made the mistake of getting there a few minutes before 8, made the dash and were in line for more than 2 hours.... Could not believe it.

Evening EMH generally isn’t all that helpful. It gives you more time in the park but is unlikely to reduce crowds and may actually increase the crowds throughout the day, on net.

Morning EMH at Magic Kingdom is hugely helpful if you’re interested in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland rides.

I’d say EMH is generally not necessary at all at Animal Kingdom or Epcot. Can’t soeak for Hollywood Studios.

While you DO wait in that line before RD, when you get to FOP and are off within 15 minutes, you can then take advantage of the low crowds for all the other attractions in the park.
If you chose to show up right at EMH RD, you'll be waiting 45 minutes to an hour for ONE attraction, and will then be behind everyone else (including general public) the entire rest of the morning. Trust me that line builds quick and there have been waits of 120 - 180 minutes just a few minutes after RD. So, you actually save enormous amounts of time by getting up with the birds!

I checked FoP recently and found posted wait times of 240 minutes shorty after the park opened then 30 minute wait times shortly before the park closed. It just seems easier to wait and get in the short line rather than waiting outside the locked gate hoping that I don’t get in a long line. That just seems too stressful.

Knowing the crowd patterns and using FP refresh will get us on everything else as many times as we want, even if we don’t show up until 11 am.

I finally got a chance to write up an example of how much can be done at AK with an 11 am arrival time. Looking for those graduation ears was a big time killer though:

Prebooked FPs for Safari (9:30), Kali (10:30) and FoP (11:30). We were running a little late and didn't arrive until 11 am but were still allowed to use the Safari FP.

After FoP, we started refreshing for Dinosaur and Everest FPs. By the end of the day, we had ridden Dino 4 times and Everest 6 times, although I only went on it twice.

We also had time for Bug's Life, Nemo, Lion King and Up (which I don't recommend). We rode the Train to Rafiki's (but didn't get off) and also walked both Trails.

I thought the lunch plan was going to be Restarauntasaurus, but the family got hungry for tacos so we slipped out the back way via Sherbeth Road around 3 pm and hit the nearest Taco Bell then returned.

We were on a quest for a certain hard to find Minnie Graduation Ears hat which we did find that at AK after checking in about a dozen shops. We also added a after dark Safari right before closing time but couldn't see much.

The park closed at 10 pm and we ended the day at RoL at 10:15.

I went this past August- we did AM EMH at AK and it was totally worth it- we had Fast passes for FOP later so went right to the Safari and didn't wait at all. Why does this matter in August? Because HEAT!! By 9am we were done the safari and looking at gorillas and bought some delicious fruit and walked to EE, without it being too hot yet. I can't imagine doing that safari later in the day when it was hot. The 8am opening allowed us to finish what we wanted at AK and head back to our hotel earlier for a swim and it was amazing.

I know I'm going to say something very blasphemous but Magic Kingdom is my least favorite park.

So if I can park hop from AK, HS, or Epcot at around 8-9 pm, catch the show and then ride Space Mountain, Runaway Train, Pirates, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion & Mine Train within the 4 hours when MK closes at 1 AM, we don't have to spend a full day there.

I know I'm going to say something very blasphemous but Magic Kingdom is my least favorite park.

So if I can park hop from AK, HS, or Epcot at around 8-9 pm, catch the show and then ride Space Mountain, Runaway Train, Pirates, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion & Mine Train within the 4 hours when MK closes at 1 AM, we don't have to spend a full day there.

Your list is very doable if you go in the right order. We did the following in 4 hours between 8 pm and midnight recently and didn't use any FPs:

Big Thunder 3x
Splash Mtn 2x
Space Mtn 2x
Mine Train
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
Haunted Mansion
Pooh
Peter Pan
Speedway
Barnstormer 2x

We also watched the fireworks and had a couple of Dole Whips.

We often use A.M. emh as a tool to simply "beat the heat" in the hotter months. We absolutely take mid day breaks!
Well said, and we like early because we are "early birds". We tend to head back to our hotel almost immediately after evening entertainment and rarely stay late for extended hours. (And we LOVE our afternoon swim, sometimes with a nap!!!)
DH and I are now "senior citizens" and we both work very very hard, so vacation is also about the luxury of no rush and plenty of sleep! Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter