Are dvds going away due to streaming

I don't know a single person who still uses DVD's. I know there are some instances where it's the only option to watch something but I normally don't even bother.

I have lost all faith with burned DVD's. My disks would last hours or weeks when I give them out. My preferred media choice is hard drives and USB keys.

Agreed. All of the burned DVDs I had would degrade over time. Even the original DVDs have a lifespan. I copied all of them onto a hard drive. Seems much more permanent to me.

I still buy most of my movies on DVD, but then I back them up and use Plex for our viewing. Today most BluRay/DVD combos come with the digital version. With MoviesAnywhere you can now bring all of your movies to any device. This has been my big reason not to move over to pure digital. Sadly not all companies are on-board with MoviesAnywhere, thus leaving some big gaps. Until Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM/UA it remains a half baked plan, but a good one and I think in time they will get on board. For now I prefer to be in control of my media.

I don't know a single person who still uses DVD's. I know there are some instances where it's the only option to watch something but I normally don't even bother.
I never used one and don't know how. Have a nice system. My wife starts it up if we want to watch a movie. I noticed she now plugs her computer into the tv to watch a movie. Just never had an interest. I don't know the first thing about net flix and don't care to. Guess we are all different.

We'll still grab an occasional DVD from Redbox if we can't find a streaming version of what we want to watch. But we always check streaming first - it's just so much easier.

I prefer digital. I only buy the BR/DVD/Digital combo packs if they are a better deal than just buying the digital version. Then we usually sell the BR/DVD or give them away just so I don't have to store them.

I also have stopped buying all Disney movies in anticipation of their new streaming service which will hopefully debut this year. I have no idea how much it will cost or if all titles will be available, but I'll wait it out and see. I got tired of buying the new movies only to find them on Netflix within a month or two of their DVD release. And let's not talk about all the titles I've bought on VHS, then DVD, then Blu-Ray and now Digital. I'd rather pay a monthly subscription rate and have access to them then to constantly be rebuying the same movies in new formats.

Also, we've been casually looking at new family cars, and there is a movement away from DVD players in them. The new Subaru 8 passenger family SUV that comes out this year won't even have it as an option and it's perfectly fine with me. We rarely use the DVD player in our current SUV anymore. My kids would rather watch their own show that we've downloaded on a device than have to pick one that they both want to watch.

LOL. A co-worker was just talking about his new DVD/Blue Ray player he got for Christmas. But he has an RV and spends a lot to time in places where there is no Wi Fi or cell service.

And I thank you and your friends for unloading all of your DVDs so I can pick up what I want on Ebay now for $3-$4 a movie.

$3-4? Sounds expensive for a DVD. Was thinking more like $1.
I'd expect $1 if I was sifting through a pile at a garage sale or thrift store. But I love that they are searchable by title because someone went to the trouble of listing them individually on Ebay. Plus $3 of that is probably what it costs for them to ship it to me.

I kept all of my DVDs but they are in storage totes for backup purposes only... I digitized my movie collection to a hard drive and run Plex. I have a few Rokus in the house so I have my whole collection anywhere without having to rummage through the DVDs and if my upload speed is decent I can run my Plex remotely at friends houses. I also have Netflix but I prefer control over my media library.

Does Plex allow you to strip off all intro menus? That is what I find most annoying about many of the DVDs. I like that DVDFab lets you rip only the main movie to a hard drive.

Does Plex allow you to strip off all intro menus? That is what I find most annoying about many of the DVDs. I like that DVDFab lets you rip only the main movie to a hard drive.

Plex is a media server, so it's just the "delivery system" (it sorts and plays the media in your library... like a Netflix for your own stuff) -- I personally use MakeMKV (and then compress them with HandBrake if I see fit...usually just the BluRays because they are enormous) and yes, using that I also only pull just the main movie, no menus or anything like that, which it sounds like DVDFab is doing a fine job for. Plex uses the file name to pull the movie poster, movie info/summary etc from their servers. I keep all the movie files on an external hard drive, and I run the Plex software on an old laptop of mine that is just on 24/7. There is also a paid Plex subscription that has more bells and whistles and extra capabilities (Cloud DVR and some other stuff) but I just use the free version.

Plex doesn't do that, however the program that I used to back mine up allows me to copy only the movie portion of the DVD.

Plex is made up of two different programs. One is the Server, where you host your movies, the other are the various apps for Windows, Mac, FireTV, Roku, Apple TV, etc that allow you to watch from that server.

I doubt it. Most of what we like to watch aren't on any streaming services.

I do watch Netflix sometimes but I get impatient looking for something to watch. It seems like it takes so long to find something.

We were just discussing this over the holidays. They've got to come up with a better way to make the search on the streaming sites simpler to filter.

On a professional note. We archive on DVD. It at this point is a far less expensive option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter