Are Bananas Really Bad for You??

SurferStitch16

Mouseketeer
Hey Wishers!!

So I've seen on the side bars of some sites saying that bananas are one of five foods to never eat if you want to lose weight. I have never clicked on any of them because frankly they seem like a come on. I have been dieting and exercising for about 2 weeks and my first week I lost a large amount and felt great about myself. The past week I have not had the weight loss I expected and got a little discouraged. The only difference that I can think of is that I ate more bananas this past week. I also started doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I doubt that using that dvd would cause the not so great results, so I am thinking it might be the bananas. Have others heard about this or have any advice?? Thank you so much all!!

And be safe if you are in the path of the storm!!!!!!

DJ :banana:

It depends on what you're counting. If you are on a low-carb or low-sugar diet - bananas are high in both. If you're on Weight Watchers Points Plus - almost all fruits have 0 points - including bananas.

It isn't unusual for the amount of weight lost to be lower the second week.

There is actually something called the banana diet. Look it up on webmd.com. Interesting. At times, a banana and water is all I ever have for breakfast and this satisfies my hunger until lunch. I had been doing this for quite some time and THEN I saw the banana diet and where people in other parts of the world do this for real.I had always heard bananas were one of the absolute best things you could eat, not the opposite.

If you lost a lot the first week that is usually water and some of it comes back the second week. If you look at the BL threads I know that a lot of us had a disappointing 2nd week. As long as you are sticking to whatever plan you are using and are exercising then you should be fine. Of course everything in moderation--if you are eating 4-5 bananas a day that may be too many calories/carbs. I probably could eat that many-- love bananas! :rotfl:

Stick it out for a few more weeks and see what happens. Make sure to keep a journal of all that you are eating, exercise time and water drank. You can't really see a definite trend over just a week.

Thanks so mcuh everyone!! I had always thought they were one of the healthiest foods too. I know when I run for a long period of time I always eat one before and after. I LOVE bananas!! :banana: I've been counting calories using MyFitnessPal. I was having a banana maybe every other day, never more than once a day. I am glad that its just the second week curse because I really do love my bananas. Thank you all for the info!! You all rock!!

On Rachel Ray the other day there was a trainer/author talking about his new book, something.......Belly Fat. At least I think it was that in the title. Anyway, he did come down hard on eating bananas and apples specifically and didn't recommened eating them for weight loss. FWIW.

It seems like at one time or another, certain foods go in and out of favor depending on whatever diet fad happens to be popular at the moment. Low fat, low carb, low calorie, etc etc . . . Bananas, like everything else, are fine if you don't go crazy with them. They are relatively high in calories, but they aren't empty calories like in candy, there's good stuff in there! So I'd say don't cut them out completely, just remember to allow for the calories if you're keeping track and trying to cut down. :banana:

it's all about calories in/calories out. one could get "fat" by eating a ton of fruits and veggies (yes, even veggies have calories and count) if you eat too many calories that are you expending. likewise, someone could "lose" weight if all they did was eating one macdonalds double cheeseburger a day, and they were taking in less calories than they were expending. now, you don't have have to be a rocket scientist to see who would be "healthier"...but in terms of weight loss, it's really just calories in and out at the end of the day.

now that being said...as part of a healthy diet,there is no reason why you shouldn't eat bananas. keep in mind that in terms of calorie counts, usually 1 serving of banana is considered half of one (about 70 calories).

my guess based on the info you gave us, the reason why you didn't get the weight loss you expected was the added exercise was making you hungrier...so you ended up taking in more than realized...not the bananas itself. as simple as it sounds, practicing can be tricky - you have to create a calorie deficit that is large enough for you to lose, but not so large that you'll put your body into "starvation mode" and your metabolism isn't revved up enough. good luck!!

I used the calorie counter on MyFitnessPal and I was under 1200 calories each day so I just can't see how it could be the calories. Is it possible that my body is turning into more muscle?? I've heard that muscle ways the same as fat, not sure if that is true. Should I stick with cardio to lose more weight and then work on toning in a few weeks when I am a little closer to my goal?? Thanks so much for the advice and info!!

Are you sore from the new workout? I find that I always weigh a bit more if my muscles are aching...I suspect the healing process makes me retain water until the soreness is gone.

Are you sore from the new workout? I find that I always weigh a bit more if my muscles are aching...I suspect the healing process makes me retain water until the soreness is gone.

I have been a pretty sore from some of the workouts. I never thought about that, but that could definitely be it!! I will have to wait and weight myself on a day when I am not sore. Thanks for the info!!

My DH & I have been on the South Beach diet, it focuses on eating good carb's & proteins. On Phase 2, when you're reintroducing fruits & other carb's, it recommends limiting bananas because although they're healthy, have lots of potasium, they are higher in natural sugar than other fruit choices. So if you're on SB, it recommends certain fruits on occasion, but not the norm, those would be bananas, watermelon & pineapple - 3 of my favorites! So I will still eat them, but less often than apples, oranges, cherries, etc.

So I think it depends on what program you're working with. For us, we limit bananas, but for you counting calories I would think they'd be fine.

Hope that helps & good luck to you :thumbsup2

Bananna's are super healthy. Obviously I wouldnt eat a dozen a day, but most fruits/etc have a decent amount of fiber for the sugar they provide. Also have lots of vitamins and minerals.

I'm not sure what the Shred DVD has on as far as workouts go, but in terms of working out, in general say you have a heart rate of 150 you'll probably burn somewhere around 100 calories in 10 minutes. In an hour thats 600 calories we'll say. An hour a week will burn 4200 calories, or just over a pound of fat. That is assuming of course you maintain that 600 calorie per day deficit. In the very beginning in weight loss you're mostly seeing water coming off, which will fluctuate.

Another thing to watch for and this is where some diet foods are counter productive, to make up for the sugars and the fats, often times the places put in a lot of salts to keep them flavorful. Those will cause you to retain the water, one of the best things to do when trying to diet is to try to limit yourself to things that you can buy in the produce section, meat section, etc. I'd try to cut down or avoid any prepared foods for the first few weeks, so that you know what you're consuming. Another good trick is to reduce consumption of flavored drinks (soda - yes diet soda as well, fruit juices, etc). Instead eat a piece of fruit and drink a glass of water. Another really fun thing to do is to put the leftover pieces of fruit that you'd normally throw out (think like the skin of a pineapple, or melon) into a pitcher of water and put it int he fridge. Obviously wash them first, but you can make some very good flavored water. Some fun recommendations

1) Orange (this one just thinly slice oranges)
2) Pineapple (the leftovers from a fresh pineapply work perfectly)
3) Cucumber Melon (don't ask me why it tastes good)
4) Mint and Cantelope

I used the calorie counter on MyFitnessPal and I was under 1200 calories each day so I just can't see how it could be the calories. Is it possible that my body is turning into more muscle?? I've heard that muscle ways the same as fat, not sure if that is true. Should I stick with cardio to lose more weight and then work on toning in a few weeks when I am a little closer to my goal?? Thanks so much for the advice and info!!

You are probably not eating enough. When your calorie counts goes down too much, your body lowers its metabolism to try to reserve fuel. To lose weight you should never go under 1,200 calories. Most diet plans recommend a couple hundred more than that.

Try this Calorie Calculator at about.com. It is great! It allows you to type in where you are and where you want to be. Then it gives you different scenarios with numbers of calories and exercise to plan your daily targets.

As others have mentioned, most people lose quite a bit of water the first week of a diet. As your body balances out you will gain a bit of that water back. So don't be discouraged! But be sure to cut back on sodium and alcohol to keep water retention at a minimum.

Some fun recommendations

4) Mint and Cantelope

Thank you for the ideas!! I drink water all the time, but never thought of flavoring it with these fruits. Usually in restaurants they give you lemon and I hate lemons!! But I love pineapples so I think I am definitely going to try and add some pineapple and the mint and cantaloupe. Even the cucumber melon sounds interesting, very spa like. Thanks for the adivce!!

You are probably not eating enough. When your calorie counts goes down too much, your body lowers its metabolism to try to reserve fuel. To lose weight you should never go under 1,200 calories. Most diet plans recommend a couple hundred more than that.

Try this Calorie Calculator at about.com. It is great! It allows you to type in where you are and where you want to be. Then it gives you different scenarios with numbers of calories and exercise to plan your daily targets.

As others have mentioned, most people lose quite a bit of water the first week of a diet. As your body balances out you will gain a bit of that water back. So don't be discouraged! But be sure to cut back on sodium and alcohol to keep water retention at a minimum.

That site is great!! Definitely going to go with those calorie counts instead of the ones MyFitnessPal set up for me!! Great site!! Thank you so much for the info!!

Bananna's are super healthy. Obviously I wouldnt eat a dozen a day, but most fruits/etc have a decent amount of fiber for the sugar they provide. Also have lots of vitamins and minerals.

I'm not sure what the Shred DVD has on as far as workouts go, but in terms of working out, in general say you have a heart rate of 150 you'll probably burn somewhere around 100 calories in 10 minutes. In an hour thats 600 calories we'll say. An hour a week will burn 4200 calories, or just over a pound of fat. That is assuming of course you maintain that 600 calorie per day deficit. In the very beginning in weight loss you're mostly seeing water coming off, which will fluctuate.

Another thing to watch for and this is where some diet foods are counter productive, to make up for the sugars and the fats, often times the places put in a lot of salts to keep them flavorful. Those will cause you to retain the water, one of the best things to do when trying to diet is to try to limit yourself to things that you can buy in the produce section, meat section, etc. I'd try to cut down or avoid any prepared foods for the first few weeks, so that you know what you're consuming. Another good trick is to reduce consumption of flavored drinks (soda - yes diet soda as well, fruit juices, etc). Instead eat a piece of fruit and drink a glass of water. Another really fun thing to do is to put the leftover pieces of fruit that you'd normally throw out (think like the skin of a pineapple, or melon) into a pitcher of water and put it int he fridge. Obviously wash them first, but you can make some very good flavored water. Some fun recommendations

4) Mint and Cantelope

This is all great advice! :thumbsup2 Avoid foods that people didn't eat a thousand years ago. AKA - Don't eat processed food. I know, easier said than done. But nearly all processed food is higher in sodium. This is because different forms of salt are often used as preservatives. Sodium is not only bad for your heart, but also for your kidneys. And it is horribly addictive. My DD is training to be a chef. And she had to retrain herself not to eat too much salt. It ruins the pallet. I also try to avoid too much sugar and white flour (which is processed). You will find a lot of these in those 100 calorie snacks. The water idea is great. I never thought of using cantaloupe skins. I have used a mixture of mint, cucumber, and a hint of ginger root before, but never cantaloupe or pineapple. Good ideas!

You have to look at the size of the banana, one about 6 inches long is about 100 calories. I have one every morning for breakfast with my 1 cup of cereal and NO fat milk. Following this routine in the past I lost over 40 lbs.

Another thing about them is the more dark spots the more sugar conversion in the fruit, so I eat almost green bananas, I also keep them in the fridge, this stops the rippening process, the peel will turn black after several days, but the ripening process has stopped thus no sugar conversion. :banana:

Hope this helps, just limit yourself to as fresh as possible, as small as possible and I do not eat more than one. I turn to other fruit for snacking.

You have to look at the size of the banana, one about 6 inches long is about 100 calories. I have one every morning for breakfast with my 1 cup of cereal and NO fat milk. Following this routine in the past I lost over 40 lbs.

Another thing about them is the more dark spots the more sugar conversion in the fruit, so I eat almost green bananas, I also keep them in the fridge, this stops the rippening process, the peel will turn black after several days, but the ripening process has stopped thus no sugar conversion. :banana:

Hope this helps, just limit yourself to as fresh as possible, as small as possible and I do not eat more than one. I turn to other fruit for snacking.

Really interesting about the almost green bananas. I'm following WW and I eat a banana about every day - or about 5 days a week and I have been losing weight each week for 7 weeks. I also exercise. Bananas and other fruit are so much better for me than cookies/processed fibre bars/crackers and other snack stuff I used to choose. I say a banana a day! Potassium!

Another thanks for suggesting calorie counting website. It looks like something I can actually use.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter