Are any of y'all from Texas?

princesskaycee

Earning My Ears
Howdy!

Lol, okay enough of the stereotypical Texan talk! (although I really do say yall constantly!) I'm from Dallas and was wondering if there are any people that live in my area that make frequent trips to the World!? I'll be going on my second road trip to WDW this December! I would much rather fly but it makes some of my family members sick the entire first day of our vacation so we just drive now. If you're from Texas, tell me about how you are able to go so often, your favorite way to get there (plane or car), and how long do you normally stay? :)

We live in El Paso, so about a day's drive from you!!! We always fly and we go 2-3 times per year. We are DVC members so we use our points for our rooms and have AP's. Our typical stay is 5-6 nights. We always fly Southwest because my husband flies free with me on a companion pass so it's hard to beat the price. We are empty nesters so it's just DH and I but we do usually have friends or family with us on at least one trip each year.

We live in El Paso, so about a day's drive from you!!! We always fly and we go 2-3 times per year. We are DVC members so we use our points for our rooms and have AP's. Our typical stay is 5-6 nights. We always fly Southwest because my husband flies free with me on a companion pass so it's hard to beat the price. We are empty nesters so it's just DH and I but we do usually have friends or family with us on at least one trip each year.
I lived in El Paso for 2 years (due to husband being Army). We just moved from there a few months ago. I miss it! lol

That sounds amazing! I would love to become a DVC but when I looked it up it didn't seem like the point racked up very fast.

We live in the Austin area, and we alternate driving vs. flying depending on which is cheaper and if we have the extra days for the roadtrip. Usually, if more than 2 of us are going to WDW, it's less expensive to drive (even when we take into account wear and tear on our vehicle and food/lodging/gas expenses).

Since we don't like nighttime driving, we divide up the 16 or so driving hours into two days. (8 each day) That means two hotel stays on the way there, and two on the way back. Yes, it's a lot of travel time, but I really like getting to see other states along the way - lots of photo opportunities and enjoy stopping at various locations to eat, too. We stay overnight in Lake Charles, LA area and then again in or near Tallahassee, then drive the last little bit to WDW on the morning of check-in.

When we fly in, we prefer nonstop flights. Austin airport is small and so easy to navigate, but it has very limited nonstops to MCO, so it usually means arriving late at night and departing from WDW early in the morning. You are lucky that Dallas has many more flight options :)

We live in the Austin area, and we alternate driving vs. flying depending on which is cheaper and if we have the extra days for the roadtrip. Usually, if more than 2 of us are going to WDW, it's less expensive to drive (even when we take into account wear and tear on our vehicle and food/lodging/gas expenses).

Since we don't like nighttime driving, we divide up the 16 or so driving hours into two days. (8 each day) That means two hotel stays on the way there, and two on the way back. Yes, it's a lot of travel time, but I really like getting to see other states along the way - lots of photo opportunities and enjoy stopping at various locations to eat, too. We stay overnight in Lake Charles, LA area and then again in or near Tallahassee, then drive the last little bit to WDW on the morning of check-in.

When we fly in, we prefer nonstop flights. Austin airport is small and so easy to navigate, but it has very limited nonstops to MCO, so it usually means arriving late at night and departing from WDW early in the morning. You are lucky that Dallas has many more flight options :)

Yeah we drove last time and it took about 24 hours (including the time at the hotel) Luckily there are people willing to drive at night so we actually checked in somewhere in FL and didn't have much longer to go!

I live in Dallas and we always fly to Orlando for either DW or a cruise . We usually fly Southwest out of Love Field and go to MCO or Tampa. This year Southwest prices were so much higher that we're flying Delta to Daytona Beach and driving to Cape Canaveral .

Hi!
We were DFW until recently, now we're Orlando local! We'd alternate depending on vacation time and money, honestly- if we found cheap tickets we'd fly, if not we'd drive. We were never DVC, but typically annual pass holders and timed trips to get at least two week-long (6+days) per pass.
When flying we'd typically get deals on AA or SW, just because of their hubs in Dallas. We'd also rent a car here instead of using WDW transportation for personal preference.
When driving, it would depend on the lovely weather during the time of year- whether we'd go down to Houston and shoot across the Gulf Coast, or across to Baton Rouge and then diagonally. We found that we could typically hit Mobile in a day easily, and didn't like to push, so we'd stay at a la Quinta in Tillman's Corner, then go the rest of the way the next day. Driving that way also made it so we could stop for lunch & dinner, and still get to WDW area before dinner-time.

I live in Dallas and we always fly to Orlando for either DW or a cruise . We usually fly Southwest out of Love Field and go to MCO or Tampa. This year Southwest prices were so much higher that we're flying Delta to Daytona Beach and driving to Cape Canaveral .

I haven't even been on one of the cruises yet! So nice that the Disney Wonder leaves from Galveston, we are thinking about doing that for our next Disney trip! Do you go with kids on the cruise? I don't have any children in my family yet so I'm wondering if a cruise is worth it for just adults.

We are in Houston and we go about every other year. We always fly SW out of Hobby. I have always thought about driving, but DH wants to get to our destination as quick as possible.

Howdy Princess! (Baytown here)... We try to go to Orlando at least once a year. We very rarely go during the summer. If we want to soak in a steam bath, wel'll just stay here! Possibly a "major" trip of 10-18 days during Christmas break and-when feasible-(and affordable)-a 3-4 "long weekend trip around Halloween time. It's obviously quite expensive for a family of five, but it is the number one entertainment item we partake in.
We prefer to fly-especially on the shorter trips-but have made the long drive several times. As we near retirement age, we may drive more often. For now, we are very aggressive in using the SWA Rapid Rewards program to earn max points to pay for as many flights as possible. We also have the SWA Credit Card and reap the equivalent of several flights worth of points per year through them.
There are several other ways we shave off a few bucks here-n-there...EVERY PENNY COUNTS-EVERY POINT COUNTS. Watch for SWA flight sales and be ready to "pull the cord" when a good rate comes up within your trip date range. They sometimes sell out very quick.
With regards to the resort costs, our favorite way to save for that is to purchase gift cards all year long, especially Disney Gift Cards. Look for discounts-there are a few out there. Universal Studios gift cards are a bit tougher to get in these parts. At this time, the only way I've been able to get those the past few years is from the Universal website. Also, we stash a few other gift cards that we might have the opportunity to use while there, or even while in and out of airports.

Best Wishes!

Robert

Hello,
we live in the DFW area. We are DVC members and have APs. We usually fly SW but this summer will drive and make a stop. I don't like to drive at night plus I rather get to the world rested. We usually stay 8-9 days. We went for Thanksgiving last year for the first time but I did not enjoy the Holiday as much. We loved the Christmas decorations and the festivities but I think that on the actual Thanksgiving day it just didn't feel normal to get in the pool, lol
we just moved from Chicago in 2014 so we still miss the cold Thanksgiving holidays!. This year we are going for the 4th of July with the family and In October just the DH , me and another couple from Chicago for the food and wine festival for our anniversary.
One year that we were there for the 4th of July we went to the Celebration Festival since we did not want to do the parks that day.

Hi,
Great to see a bunch of fellow Texans on the boards! I'm originally from Houston but live in Waco now. We are DVC and AP holders and make 2-3 trips to the World annually. We usually fly Southwest out of Dallas Love, Austin or Houston Hobby and are usually able to secure flights for under $300 round trip. Our next trip will be a family trip with 15-20 family members over Thanksgiving. We are doing a split stay btw AKV Jambo Grand Villa (can't wait--plus a value 2BR) and Wyndham Bonnet Creek! Can't wait to get to 180 days to start making ADRs.

We live in the Beaumont area. It is only about a 12.5 hour drive for us, but it takes us 15-18 hours because we like to enjoy our road trips. We stop in Pensacola or Tallahassee on the way and sleep, then stop somewhere near Mobile on the way home.
We also stop multiple times to use the RR, stretch our legs, let the kids run, eat a picnic, etc.

My sister lives in Fort Worth, and they take two days to get there as well. I think they drive diagonally through Louisiana before hitting I 10.

Hey y'all! I'm also from Dallas and preparing to make my third drive to WDW this June. We split the drive over two days and stop near the Alabama/Florida line on our overnight. Wondering for those who drive from this area, do you prefer taking I-20 into MS before heading down and meeting up with I-10 in Alabama, or do you like to head down to 10 in LA and take it all the way over? We have done it the former way both previous times, but have heard some folks say they prefer the latter route.

Hey y'all! I'm also from Dallas and preparing to make my third drive to WDW this June. We split the drive over two days and stop near the Alabama/Florida line on our overnight. Wondering for those who drive from this area, do you prefer taking I-20 into MS before heading down and meeting up with I-10 in Alabama, or do you like to head down to 10 in LA and take it all the way over? We have done it the former way both previous times, but have heard some folks say they prefer the latter route.
Hi! I'm in DFW as well. We've taken both routes - I much prefer heading down to I-10 in LA as the US-49/I-58/US-98 stretch down to I-10 in MS is a pain. The time difference is negligible barring any traffic issues. On our last trip, we made the decision which route to take the day of per Google Maps, as there was significant traffic/construction delay on the MS route.

Hi! I'm in DFW as well. We've taken both routes - I much prefer heading down to I-10 in LA as the US-49/I-58/US-98 stretch down to I-10 in MS is a pain. The time difference is negligible barring any traffic issues. On our last trip, we made the decision which route to take the day of per Google Maps, as there was significant traffic/construction delay on the MS route.

That's good to hear! I have been scared to pull the trigger on that one because Google Maps always says it will be about an hour longer, but it seems like it would be better because it's the freeway the whole way. That stretch in MS is indeed a pain.

One recommendation I'd offer, get a Sun Pass, sunpass.com . There's a portable transponder for around $20 they offer. Once south of Ocala, believe around Leesburg, get on the Florida Turnpike. My opinion, it's worth it.

Hi! I'm in the Dallas area as well! I always fly out of Love Field as I prefer SW and usually have booked with points earned or find really good rates to fly. I've been to DL multiple times in the past few years (3 times last year, twice when I was in San Diego for work so drove up to DL for a day and once for a week with my BF for the Halloween Party season) and a couple more weeklong vacations before that with family so I would consider DL my "home" park since I know it well. Funny enough, my first visit was actually to any Disney park was to WDW over 10 years ago on a school trip! We are actually planning to go on a weeklong trip this summer for my birthday so I am excited! WDW has changed so much since I was there last. I usually save a bit each paycheck and it goes towards my Disney vacation fund. Gift cards and Disney Visa rewards will go towards any extras I would like to get. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter