• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arch -- NOT DELICATE ARCH -- collapses in Arches National Park

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
This is so sad, the 12th largest Arch in Arches National Park, Wall Arch, collapsed sometime yesterday. Fortunately, no-one was hurt. It's a part of nature, just gravity and erotion, and the rangers are all saying it will eventually happen to all the arches, but, having been there so recently, it's just sad to think that future visitors won't be able to see it. I'm not sure where it is in relation to Delicate Arch, or if it's one of the ones we saw from our hike.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26123410/

But I am *SO* glad it wasn't Delicate Arch. So very, very glad! I can't imagine Southwest Splendors without Delicate Arch...

Here's a before & after pic of Wall Arch:

wallarch-hlg-9ahlarge.jpg

Sayhello

Hi Cindy18--
Thanks for the post. I saw this on the news too--and kind of panicked--since we are about to leave on our Southwest Splendors trip on 8/20 and the Delicate Arch hike is one of the things we were really looking forward to.

Fortunately, I looked up the park map online and Wall Arch is in the Devil's Garden area of the park, whild Delicate Arch is several miles south east in another area of the park. (Not sure what its called--it is east of Fiery Furnace). Don't you love the names? I'm sure they will be very applicable for hiking in late August. :cool2:

Anyway--thanks for the news.

Turtlemom.

Ooops! I'm sorry Sayhello!
I accidentally called you Cindy18-- No offense intended!!!!
I guess I was just reading the other Southwest Splendors thread--getting very excited about the trip coming up.

Turtlemom.
:flower3:

:D No offense taken, Turtlemom!

Part of the reason I posted this here is so that people going on the tour soon won't get confused or panic and think it's Delicate Arch! That would be too sad.

Sayhello

I saw this, and was going to ask if this was one of the arches seen on the trip. It's definitely sad to see, but it remindes us that even in geologic time, change can still happen suddenly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter