April or Summer?

KristinU

DIS Veteran
Hello Fort friends,

We're trying to decide when to visit the Fort again, so if you'll indulge me...which would you choose: April (probably the second week) for about 6 days OR Summer (probably late June or early July) for 10 days?

Depends on if you and your family like high temps and high humidity slowing you down in July?? April weather is cooler allowing for a more enjoyable experience...April might be a little early to take advantage of the pool and water parks, which our family loves as much as the regular parks.

I would go for the longer trip. But, I live outside St Louis where the heat and humidity in the middle of summer are generally worse than the Fort.

April should be less crowded as well as less heat and certainly less humidity. Tough call. I'd still go with the longer trip. I can find cool places during the day if I need to and 4 extra days sounds great.

j

I dont know, Teamubr, about April being less crowded. Thats peak spring break time and high rate times at the Fort.

The parks might be equally crowded in summer but the Fort is less crowded then and rates are a little less. Given she can spend more days in the summer, that would get my vote.

Bama Ed

Thanks guys! None of us are nuts about the prospect of the heat, but we do like swimming and the waterparks (but we northerners go waterparking in December, LOL)

Some of the crowd information indicates that it will be about even. We've never been in the summer, so I don't know what to anticipate, but we've been at other peak times and have done fine. Although, it would be nice to not have to plan around crowds for our park days...but I don't know if either of these time frames would afford that anyway.

I went this month, and the heat and crowds were already pretty intense. That being said, I didn't see any superior benefits to visiting in April. I think I'd go for June or July. You'll get more time to enjoy the world!

If you are planning on going during Spring Break or the Summer(and longer) I would choose the Summer. With that said we were just there the 12th-17th of this month (April). We chose that week because it was the week after Spring Break. The Fort was not crowded at all and neither were the parks. We had plenty of pool time as the temps were in the 85-90 range. If I had to choose that option vs summer I would take the week after spring break every time. You may not have that option if your kids are older, whereas ours is not school age yet.

I like both times for different reasons. April is cooler, but the parks aren't open as late.

In the summer, I can actually relax at the pool during the day and go to a park at night and still see what I want because it's open later.

We went on April 7th for 10 days a few years ago. To me, that would be the best time of the year to visit despite any crowds. It's like summer weather where we live- high 80's (low 90's a few days) and in the 60s at night. It was certainly warm enough to swim. We were in the pool late a few nights. It definitely wasn't as humid as June and it only rained for 10 minutes one day while we were having lunch. I think that's just about as perfect weather as you can get and we got to enjoy the Flower & Garden festival. From the crowd calendars I saw when we went, the crowds were about the same as summer levels.

I'm not sure how I would vote because more time is always better, but I hate to be hot & miserable. I've only been once in June but next time I go it will probably have to be in summer because of school schedules. I love going to the parks first thing because I can get a lot accomplished. I've wondered about how I'd be able to do that and stay late in the evenings to avoid the sun. I would nap but my kids might not. So, I figure that my schedule would go out the window in favor of dealing with the heat.

Being a Florida native, go for April. June - August are TOO hot! April has it's hot days, but it's not too humid. You also have higher chances of rain & thunderstorms (almost every afternoon) in June. If you are tent camping, that can be a real bummer.

We just went for spring break the first week in April. The weather was perfect, the Epcot Flower and Garden show was lovely, and the crowds were very manageable. We usually go at Christmas and the crowds were nothing like that. It was our first Fort trip in almost 30 years...and I can't wait to go back! We go to Florida almost every summer and spend a day or two at WDW. For the summer trips, we usually just visit the water parks. The theme parks are just too hot for me. Plus, there's always the afternoon storms in the summer to plan around. I vote April!

We were @ the Fort from 4/12 thru 4/23 - it was in the hi 80's & lots of rain. Parks were not crowded. Only one day it rained all day & was cool (4/20). We normally go the 2nd week of February, but we have no kids in school & love that time of the year @WDW

I'd go for late June or early July. It would also mean longer days for you and your family to enjoy and have fun.

We just got back from being there April 13th to the 22nd and the crowds were low which was nice. They told us at the Fort that they just started slowing down after being very busy with spring break and Easter. We did get quite a bit of showers but always cleared up for the majority of the day except for 1 day. It was incredibly wonderful after this horrible snowy winter. A real aaaaaah experience. So I have to second April. I went once in the summer and the parks were unbearably hot and crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter