• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April Incentives - What Are Your Predictions?

I am a newbie to DVC (waiting on ROFR for contract sent 3/20) and just spent a couple of hours catching up on this thread. I had been reading other threads and it seemed to me that most resale owners are very happy with their decision (and savings) of buying resale. But now that I read this, it seems a lot of owners think being hybrid is best and I'm getting FOMO big time!
We had considered buying direct at RIV for a long time, but ultimately I couldn't justify spending so much on that when I could do resale. So we went for a 150pt contract at BWV since we love the Epcot area and didn't want all the restrictions of RIV resale. And up to a few days ago I was very happy with that. Now I am wondering if we should buy a 150pt direct contract at RIV still because, hey, we will always find a way to spend the extra points! But I have a lot of questions, and would like to have a full understanding before giving this further consideration.

1. Who is eligible for the "Welcome Home Additional Credit"?
2. Can anyone take advantage of the Magical Beginnings?
3. Can you get direct benefits if you buy 3 direct 50pt contracts at different times? Or does it have to be a one time 150pt contract?
4. Someone in here mentioned not being able to get the Sorcerer's Pass after buying direct; is this because of Disney not offering them all the time? Or are there other restrictions?

And other random questions...
5. What are SAP/SAP+ points?
6. I read a lot of comments about booking at 11mo and then switch at 7mo. Is this just people not wanting to stay at their home resort? Or are there other reasons for this?

Thanks for your help as I'm earning my ears :cutie:
1. The welcome home credit is for anyone although currently member add-on incentives are better than new member incentives.
2. If you buy 150 or more points you can do Magical Beginnings.
3. You would have DVC-Y if you buy a total of 150 direct points. You can split them up for an extra $250 "Document Preparation Fee" per deed when you purchase. (if you sold any of these smaller contracts and had less than 150 direct points that weren't grandfathered in you would lose DVC-Y).
4. There was a period during the pandemic where Disney stopped offering the Sorcerer's pass to DVC members but currently you can purchase them.
5. Sleep around points / really good sleep around points based on dues and resort? (not sure how to define the +)
6. Correct. It makes sense to book at 11 months so you have a room at your home resort and then if you wanted to stay elsewhere you can change it at 7 months. This ensures you have a room for your trip in case your plans at 7 months don't work out.

1. The welcome home credit is for anyone although currently member add-on incentives are better than new member incentives.
2. If you buy 150 or more points you can do Magical Beginnings.
3. You would have DVC-Y if you buy a total of 150 direct points. You can split them up for an extra $250 "Document Preparation Fee" per deed when you purchase. (if you sold any of these smaller contracts and had less than 150 direct points that weren't grandfathered in you would lose DVC-Y).
4. There was a period during the pandemic where Disney stopped offering the Sorcerer's pass to DVC members but currently you can purchase them.
5. Sleep around points / really good sleep around points based on dues and resort? (not sure how to define the +)
6. Correct. It makes sense to book at 11 months so you have a room at your home resort and then if you wanted to stay elsewhere you can change it at 7 months. This ensures you have a room for your trip in case your plans at 7 months don't work out.
Awesome! Thanks!!

For those looking...I was able to split the 20% down over 4 payments,
Just curious, did they load you points after the first 25% down payment or are they waiting for full down payment to load? I know in the past when I made the full down payment they were loaded almost within the hour…

I am considering splitting down payment; but want to get reservation on the books so am wanting to get the points loaded without waiting several months. But I would be interested in splitting the down payment if they still load the points in the interim.

Just curious, did they load you points after the first 25% down payment or are they waiting for full down payment to load? I know in the past when I made the full down payment they were loaded almost within the hour…

I am considering splitting down payment; but want to get reservation on the books so am wanting to get the points loaded without waiting several months. But I would be interested in splitting the down payment if they still load the points in the interim.
Yes. My points are all loaded and I have the mythical DVC-Y already.

I’m doing the DVC Member Lighthouse Charter Cruise in June, and just received this email:

We can’t wait to welcome you home aboard the spectacular Disney Magic during your upcoming 2024 Member “First Wave” Sailing to Disney Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point. This 5-night cruise is sure to be unforgettable as you experience the spirit and culture of The Bahamas, including a visit to the all-new island retreat from Disney Cruise LineDisney Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point!

In celebration of our valued Members, Disney Vacation Club® would like to share a limited-time Add On Offer for Members sailing on this Member-exclusive voyage to The Bahamas.

Enjoy incredible savings at select Resorts, including The Villas at Disneyland® Hotel, Disney’s Riviera Resort, The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort, and more.​

Starting today, you can save the following on select Disney Vacation Club Resorts:​

•​
Add On 150 Vacation Points and save up to $5,550
•​
Add On 200 Vacation Points and save up to $9,800
•​
Add On 250 Vacation Points and save up to $12,500
•​
Other savings available at other point tiers​

Don’t miss out – these savings are extremely limited, so speak with a sales Cast Member today to avoid the rush on the ship!

*Terms apply, see offer details below.​

Is it too late to book? Practically pays for itself as long as I throw down another $40k on DVC points. #DisneyMath

Please talk my dumb self into not buying any points.

I haven't even been in DVC for one year! I cannot possibly even know if I need more points this soon.

It doesn't matter that I stayed at Riviera in February and loved it! I can book there at 7 months, right??

Ah hell, I'm probably going to buy more points. This really is a disease.

I am a newbie to DVC (waiting on ROFR for contract sent 3/20) and just spent a couple of hours catching up on this thread. I had been reading other threads and it seemed to me that most resale owners are very happy with their decision (and savings) of buying resale. But now that I read this, it seems a lot of owners think being hybrid is best and I'm getting FOMO big time!
We had considered buying direct at RIV for a long time, but ultimately I couldn't justify spending so much on that when I could do resale. So we went for a 150pt contract at BWV since we love the Epcot area and didn't want all the restrictions of RIV resale. And up to a few days ago I was very happy with that. Now I am wondering if we should buy a 150pt direct contract at RIV still because, hey, we will always find a way to spend the extra points! But I have a lot of questions, and would like to have a full understanding before giving this further consideration.

1. Who is eligible for the "Welcome Home Additional Credit"?
2. Can anyone take advantage of the Magical Beginnings?
3. Can you get direct benefits if you buy 3 direct 50pt contracts at different times? Or does it have to be a one time 150pt contract?
4. Someone in here mentioned not being able to get the Sorcerer's Pass after buying direct; is this because of Disney not offering them all the time? Or are there other restrictions?

And other random questions...
5. What are SAP/SAP+ points?
6. I read a lot of comments about booking at 11mo and then switch at 7mo. Is this just people not wanting to stay at their home resort? Or are there other reasons for this?

Thanks for your help as I'm earning my ears :cutie:
To add to @WelcomeHome’s excellent reply,

4) Just know that access to APs and discounts is not guaranteed and in the grand scheme of things is a relatively recent benefit, and one they’ve already hacked away at. They got rid of the (admittedly pathetic) discount for Disneyland APs altogether, and eliminated the discount for the top level WDW AP that was previously several hundred dollars per pass per year. They also used to give a discount on what became the sorcerers pass to DVC members, now members pay full price.

They will change the AP benefit again someday. Maybe it won’t impact you when they do, but maybe it will, and maybe it will a lot. Some people here who travel at Christmas were REALLY negatively impacted by the end of the Platinum pass discount.

I wouldn’t factor access to that pass into your decision at all.

5) SAP are points you buy at a cheap resort (Saratoga, Old Key West) intending to use them extensively or exclusively at the “premier” resorts (e.g. Grand Flo, Grand Cal, Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk). It works best if you travel in the summer* and/or stay in 1 bedrooms, otherwise those rooms can be hard to grab.

*except at Grand Cal, where winter is better.

Last edited:

I haven't even been in DVC for one year! I cannot possibly even know if I need more points this soon.

It doesn't matter that I stayed at Riviera in February and loved it! I can book there at 7 months, right??

As long as you aren’t looking to stay in Standard Studios or looking to stay in the fall, I wouldn’t worry about room availability at Riviera. Personally.

And if you do get locked out for a trip here and there, you might find another resort you love.

To add to @WelcomeHome’s excellent reply,

4) Just know that access to APs and discounts is not guaranteed and in the grand scheme of things is a relatively recent benefit, and one they’ve already hacked away at. They got rid of the (admittedly pathetic) discount for Disneyland APs altogether, and eliminated the discount for the top level AP that was previously several hundred dollars per pass per year. They also used to give a discount on what became the incredipass to DVC members, now members pay full price.

They will change the AP benefit again someday. Maybe it won’t impact you when they do, but maybe it will, and maybe it will a lot. Some people here who travel at Christmas were REALLY negatively impacted by the end of the Platinum pass discount.

I wouldn’t factor access to that pass into your decision at all.

5) SAP are points you buy at a cheap resort (Saratoga, Old Key West) intending to use them extensively or exclusively at the “premier” resorts (e.g. Grand Flo, Grand Cal, Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk). It works best if you travel in the summer* and/or stay in 1 bedrooms, otherwise those rooms can be hard to grab.

*except at Grand Cal, where winter is better.
Also to help with the term "SAP+" I think that is the term people have started giving the more "premium" resorts, that are getting affordable enough to be sleep around points. I think the main examples used are usually Bay Lake and Copper Creek.

This Is The Way

Also to help with the term "SAP+" I think that is the term people have started giving the more "premium" resorts, that are getting affordable enough to be sleep around points. I think the main examples used are usually Bay Lake and Copper Creek.
I would add that it got very popular with VGF direct over the summer.

The DVC hack is to buy points at a high point chart/low due resort and then use them at a low point chart/higher dues resort.

I would add that it got very popular with VGF direct over the summer.

The DVC hack is to buy points at a high point chart/low due resort and then use them at a low point chart/higher dues resort.
High point charts, low dues, AND reasonable resale prices. I guess high point chart rules out most of the 2042 resorts, reasonably priced or not…but I still don’t think VGF should be considered SAP+ until it drops closer to BLT or CCV in price…oh wait, CCV is definitely SAP+ at this point and their point chart is pretty reasonable.

I wouldn’t say it’s consensus, but I think of SAP+ as basically “spend an extra $10-30/pt upfront today to get home advantage at a resort you really like (for theming/location) or at least will have a much easier time renting if you can’t travel…because it will cost you less than $1/year over the life of the contract.”

I don't think Riviera will be easy to book, once it's sold out, at 7 months if you want standard or studios. I think preferred 1BRs will be easier but who knows. Sorry to be an enabler.

Darn you, Duckbug. That's exactly what the little devil on my shoulder keeps saying!
I'm tempted myself and we already have plenty of points for our needs, lol. We bought back when the resort first opened. It was $166 per point for 250 points. So at certain point levels, we're back to those prices. But we also have 200 BLT points and it's enough for our split stay uses

This could be what makes us get our blue card with Riviera points. But we just bought in recently, so we will have to think it over. Riviera could be good for us long term for when our BWV contract expires to keep us with a resort in the crescent lake area. With my luck they would probably build another crescent lake DVC location just after we buy in with a better location than the Riviera (actual walking distance like BWV or BCV anyone?). I do wonder why they haven't really done that already, everyone loves the area. Is there just no space?

We will probably wait for more announcements from the poly tower either way, but after visiting both last time we were in the area the wife liked Riviera a lot more than Poly. Said the Poly felt too much like a fake beach resort with no real beach and she would rather go to a real beach resort at that point. I guess that's what happens when you go on too many tropical vacations to places like Fiji, etc lol.

Also I have thought it through and feel like it would be better to have Riviera direct and Poly resale (if the tower is same association) so the points have less restrictions than buying Poly direct and getting Riviera resale later for the crescent lake area after 2042.

Then it would be the question of just getting 150 for the benefits? or 200 or 250 for the better deal? Maybe even buy at the tail end of the promotion so we have a chance to back out if the next deals are better. So many options! We have until September to decide if we want double points for 23/24 at least

Especially if they allow MB program….i would get them in my June UY, so I’d be able to sell back 2023….now to discuss this with DH….wasnt expecting that this morning. lol

Meaning, buy 150 RIV and 150 CFW and get all 300 points discounted at whichever rate is better?

Yes. They allowed it when the incentives for both CCV and RIV were the same and since we see that now with the $17/point discount, it might work

Super interesting. I had never heard of this. I wonder how far it could stretch..? IOW would both contracts need to have the same point discount AND welcome offer, i.e. pairing 150 Riviera with 150 VDH. They have slightly different welcome offers so I wonder what offer would trump and whether that would work. When I first read this yesterday I thought it was even better--that you could combine any resales for the welcome offers ... sigh, that would be nice. I had dreams of a small VGC contract paired with VDH or RIV to get to the welcome bonus bump. Oh well. Still would be nice to know if they are still doing it and with what resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter