• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April 2017 check in thread, come in and chat!

My life is in total chaos right now, so thankfully I booked our ADRs a few weeks ago. I haven't really had time to do much else. We mainly wing it though. I usually make a spreadsheet of the times the highlights take place (shows, parades, etc,), but then I usually forget to even look at it. I really enjoy the fact that the app shows the ADRs we have coming up, so I can keep those straight. (Part of my disability is major short term memory issues, which is very frustrating me as I used to have a great memory.)

I still have to finish my daughter's autograph book and have her try on her costumes (darn kid insists on growing :D). I also need to decide how we want to handle airport transportation on both ends. And also
Easter basket shopping.

Wow, you are WAY more organized than I am!

The only "plans" that I have are:

We leave at 8:30ish on Monday morning so we are all staying at my mother's place the night before since she lives much closer to the airport than we do. Our flight arrives at SNA just before 2:00 pm and since we are just doing carry-on bags we will grab a cab and head to the Disneyland Hotel with a (hopefully quick) stop at a Walmart or Target to grab a flat of water. Check in at the hotel and probably head right to one of the parks for a few rides. We'll have to stop at City Hall or the Chamber of Commerce to get DS's DAS renewed and then it's off to have fun!

Tuesday is EMH at DL at 7:00 am...not sure if we will make it for that but I'm game to try! :)

Wednesday is EMH at DCA at 8:00 am and I am sure we can do that! This is also the day that I had booked for the Aladdin's Oasis OTG lunch at 12:15 so we can watch the first show of MSEP followed by the fireworks. This gives us Thursday and Friday in case the fireworks are cancelled Wednesday.

Thursday is EMH at DL at 7:00 am again, same plans for this as Tuesday but we also have dinner at Napa Rose at 6:00 pm. We should be finished in plenty of time to try the fireworks if they were canceled the previous night.

Friday is EMH at DCA again at 8:00 and same plan for this as Wednesday.

Saturday is our departure day and I have booked us for breakfast at SH55 at 7:50 am. We'll get up, shower, get dressed and pack the last few items before heading for breakfast and then sadly check out and get to the airport for our 11:30 am flight home.

This is our 10th DL trip so other than HSM, there are no attractions that we absolutely have to do or our trip is ruined. My favourite one was TOT but that is sadly not possible anymore. DS and DH love Screamin' but after 3 times, I have decided I just do not like it at all so will skip that and let them go by themselves!

Hey our "plans" have a lot of similarity! We did the AO OTG lunch for MSEP in February when I was there with a friend - we both had the lasagne and it was YUMMY. Way better than I was expecting, for some reason. We loved the chill vibe in Aladdin's Oasis as well. I had never been in that area, and it was so nice to sit in the shade and enjoy the atmosphere. We could hear the Jungle Cruise, and it was just relaxing. :) I don't really structure our days, other than having at least one TS reservation, and a general idea of when we can fit in fireworks and shows. We really just make the rest up as we go along, but we always try to use FP as much as possible and hit our favorite rides several times.

Have a wonderful trip!

We have one TS reservation each day and a very loose schedule:

Saturday 22nd: Dapper day expo at DLH; dinner at Ralph Brennans jazz Kitchen

Sunday 23rd Dapper day: lunch at Cafe Orleans; Fireworks at night

Monday 24th: early entry DCA; MSEP Aladdins Oasis to go lunch; MSEP first (maybe only?) parade @ 8:30

Tuesday 25th: early entry DL; breakfast at Carnation Cafe

Wednesday 26th: early entry DCA; dinner at Riverbelle Terrace (not 100% on this one, mixed reviews)

we are so so close, I can't believe it!!!

The only schedule we have is what parks on what days but that's subject to change with hoppers. We have 2 reservations for food but that's it. We always end up throwing my plans out the windows so fly by the seat of our pants it is. It was hard to get there tho because I'm pretty type A.

The only schedule we have is what parks on what days but that's subject to change with hoppers. We have 2 reservations for food but that's it. We always end up throwing my plans out the windows so fly by the seat of our pants it is. It was hard to get there tho because I'm pretty type A.

I used to do up a whole calendar with flight info, hotel booking confirmations, daily park hours, dining reservations, shows in each park and nighttime entertainment.

Now I'm lucky if I remember to grab our passports!

I LOVE reading everyone's itineraries. The only thing I plan are food ressies, :mickeybar:mickeybar which is turning out to be a challenge with 8 people coming and going throughout the week. The most exciting things that happened this week is we extended our trip for one more day...that means me and the girls will have 6 days in the parks!!! :love: We also booked the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour for me, my daughters and my folks...can't wait to do something we've never done. The one bummer is I noticed Disneyland extended the hours for that week...oh well a crowded day in Disney is better than no day at Disney.

I do have Electrical Parade ressies at Blue Bayou...do you think it's necessary. We absolutely want to see the parade, but can't decide if it's worth $60 per person. It was nice when we did it for Fantasmic...but I'm torn this time.

I LOVE reading everyone's itineraries. The only thing I plan are food ressies, :mickeybar:mickeybar which is turning out to be a challenge with 8 people coming and going throughout the week. The most exciting things that happened this week is we extended our trip for one more day...that means me and the girls will have 6 days in the parks!!! :love: We also booked the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour for me, my daughters and my folks...can't wait to do something we've never done. The one bummer is I noticed Disneyland extended the hours for that week...oh well a crowded day in Disney is better than no day at Disney.

I do have Electrical Parade ressies at Blue Bayou...do you think it's necessary. We absolutely want to see the parade, but can't decide if it's worth $60 per person. It was nice when we did it for Fantasmic...but I'm torn this time.

My head hurts just thinking about trying to organize for 8 people! The expression "herding cats" comes to mind. :headache:

Re: BB/MSEP

Is Blue Bayou somewhere that you would eat at regardless of the parade? If you would eat there anyway, then I would go for the parade package since it is not that much more than ordering à la carte. For our family, while we are ok with the food at BB and love the atmosphere, there are other restaurants that we vastly prefer so if we are going to pay for a TS meal, BB is not one of our top choices. Because of this, we are going with the AO OTG meal for MSEP viewing and going to Napa Rose for dinner.

We will drive down for a cheer competition at the convention center and we plan to hit the park everyday that we are there. We arrive April 7th-10th. We are staying at the convention center Marriott

Hi all!!

WDW vet hitting up Disneyland for the first time with elder DD to celebrate her upcoming 13th (gulp!) birthday. We'll be there April 8-12, staying at the Castle Inn.

I know Spring Break isn't ideal, but it's what we had to work with. We're coming from the East Coast, so we plan to go early and then nap in the middle of day or we won't see nighttime entertainment because of the jet lag.

I have the following reservations, the last is a surprise for DD12:
9th--10:40 Breakfast with Minnie & Friends at the Plaza
10th-2:00 WOC Lunch at Wine Country Trattoria
12th-10:40 Chip & Dale Critter Breakfast

She's a HUGE ride junkie, but when I asked what she wanted to do most she says she wants to meet Oswald. AWWW!

Hi all!!

WDW vet hitting up Disneyland for the first time with elder DD to celebrate her upcoming 13th (gulp!) birthday. We'll be there April 8-12, staying at the Castle Inn.

I know Spring Break isn't ideal, but it's what we had to work with. We're coming from the East Coast, so we plan to go early and then nap in the middle of day or we won't see nighttime entertainment because of the jet lag.

I have the following reservations, the last is a surprise for DD12:
9th--10:40 Breakfast with Minnie & Friends at the Plaza
10th-2:00 WOC Lunch at Wine Country Trattoria
12th-10:40 Chip & Dale Critter Breakfast

She's a HUGE ride junkie, but when I asked what she wanted to do most she says she wants to meet Oswald. AWWW!

That sounds like such a fun trip! I've added you to the list in the first post.

There are so many fun things to do at DL that are similar but different from WDW, some are considered much better at DL (Space, Pirates) and some are considered to be much better at WDW (Jungle Cruise). Indiana Jones is similar to Dinosaur but most feel IJ is the better ride. Carsland is probably the best themed area of any of the parks and is not to be missed!

They finally got the last day of our trip up and it says that there's a Magic Morning on Friday (along with the EMH). Whaaaaaat?

Adding our family! Disneyland Hotel April 2 - 5. We're WDW veterans, but it's our first time in DL and the kids' first time in California.

We talked for months about doing this, but things were busy at work and wound up making a very last minute decision this past week. Purchased plane tickets (paid waaay too much, should have been looking earlier than 2 weeks prior!) and blocked 3 days off from work. The best part is that we'll also visit BIL, his wife and nephews. The kids are so excited!

Jumping in without a plan; the spontaneity is something we've been missing in WDW. Haven't gotten tickets. We'll just get them when we get there.

Planning to eat some meals at the F&W festival. Made 3 ADRs: WOC Dessert Party, Carthay, and Napa Rose. Looked at all the menus, but nothing else looked good. What is up with all the NOLA food? Don't really care for Cajun and seems particularly odd in CA. What other places do ya'll like?

Since we saw the very last MSEP at WDW, not planning to see it in DL.

Planning to hit the Early Morning at CA for Radiator Springs, but will skip the one at DL since it's open to everyone. Or should we go to it?

Last edited:
Adding our family! Disneyland Hotel April 2 - 5. We're WDW veterans, but it's our first time in DL and the kids' first time in California.

We talked for months about doing this, but things were busy at work and wound up making a very last minute decision this past week. Purchased plane tickets (paid waaay too much, should have been looking earlier than 2 weeks prior!) and blocked 3 days off from work. The best part is that we'll also visit BIL, his wife and nephews. The kids are so excited!

Jumping in without a plan; the spontaneity is something we've been missing in WDW. Haven't gotten tickets. We'll just get them when we get there.

Planning to eat some meals at the F&W festival. Made 3 ADRs: WOC Dessert Party, Carthay, and Napa Rose. Looked at all the menus, but nothing else looked good. What is up with all the NOLA food? Don't really care for Cajun and seems particularly odd in CA. What other places do ya'll like?

Since we saw the very last MSEP at WDW, not planning to see it in DL.

Planning to hit the Early Morning at CA for Radiator Springs, but will skip the one at DL since it's open to everyone. Or should we go to it?

You might want to look at getting your tickets in advance, you can get them cheaper than gate price going through various vendors. Last Minute Travel Club is one that we have used and it saved us a decent amount. Just be aware that LMTC can take up to a week to send you the vouchers so I would not wait too long.

Great meal choices choices! Napa Rose and Carthay Circle are my two favourite restaurants and we just loved the WoC dessert party when we did it last September.

I'm not a huge fan of the Cajun and Creole food and I hated our one meal we had at Cafe Orleans but we usually eat at French Market once per trip. I can take or leave Blue Bayou but our last meal we had there was good.

We love the fried chicken at Plaza Inn, the skewers at Bengal BBQ and the sandwiches at Jolly Holiday on the DL side. DCA side has Carthay Circle Lounge, Alfresco Tasting Terrace, Cove Bar and Flo's. We have enjoyed all of our meals at Wine Country Trattoria but given the choice be between there or Carthay, Carthay always wins.

Hope that helps a bit!

Last edited:
We have 35 days until we are in Disneyland! 34 until we arrive!!! Eeekkk
So excited!

One thing I adore is eating breakfast at the Jolly Holiday Bakery. I love their breakfast sandwiches, the one served on croissants. With an iced latté. And a Matterhorn Macaron. Oh my!
Great people watching spot, too.

Finally made a couple of table service reservations for a couple of our favorites (Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe). Would love to stop at Jolly Holiday for breakfast, but we never seem to want to take the time in the morning so lunch will have to do. Little Red Wagon and of course Dole whips are the other must do's for us on every trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter