Appropriate Attire

DrankTheKool-Aid

Earning My Ears
We’re about a month away from our trip and I’m trying to start getting organized.

I am curious if there are there any attractions besides FoP that would be difficult in a sundress/skirt?

Secondly are there any character dinners that have a minimum dress code (requiring my son to dress up beyond activewear)?

Finally are pants typically required in the evening during mid to late April? I realize I will have to check the forecast and plan accordingly once we’re closer to our trip date but I’m just curious about a typical day as I start to gather items. Thanks for the help!

1. I am curious if there are there any attractions besides FoP that would be difficult in a sundress/skirt?
2. Secondly are there any character dinners that have a minimum dress code (requiring my son to dress up beyond activewear)?
3. Finally are pants typically required in the evening during mid to late April?
1. Space Mountain?
2. 1900 Park Fair (Cinderella) at Grand Floridian is a more "formal" venue, and a bit
more "crispness" in clothing might feel better but no "special dress" is required.
3. That's fully up to the individual (and the weather, or course.)
It is never a bad idea to pack "layers" of some kind that can be put on and removed
as conditions change (often in the same day.)

Last edited:
We’re about a month away from our trip and I’m trying to start getting organized.

I am curious if there are there any attractions besides FoP that would be difficult in a sundress/skirt?

Secondly are there any character dinners that have a minimum dress code (requiring my son to dress up beyond activewear)?

Finally are pants typically required in the evening during mid to late April? I realize I will have to check the forecast and plan accordingly once we’re closer to our trip date but I’m just curious about a typical day as I start to gather items. Thanks for the help!

I have done FoP in a sundress, no problem at all! Just pick up a couple pairs of spandex (or stretch cotton, if you prefer) shorts, and you're good to go.

And I don't think spring weather in Florida ever requires jeans, but I'm Canadian, so your mileage may vary.

Here I am, showing off my dress to Ariel at the end of January:

4FlS522.jpg

Always a bit of a tricky question. Some folks will wear shorts as low as 30 degrees, while others wear long pants even when it is 90.

Here's what I can tell you. Many women wear skirts/sundresses at WDW, but in the parks you'll have to climb into multiple rides if you want to go on them. Astro Orbiter and the boat rides come to mind.

When it comes to dining, dresses and skirts are much more common, especially for signature dining and formal events. WDW hosts many weddings and formal events in their many ballrooms every day. On any given WDW day, odds are good that you'll see quite a few wardrobe extremes!

There IS a dress code in the parks and when dining, but it is fairly lax. You can't wear anything that is deemed to be offensive. For the ladies, well...I'd say most ladies think "family friendly' when choosing park attire. You also aren't allowed to imitate a cast member at any time, and there are limit on costumes, especially for adults. I think you can find the specific rules pretty easily.

Most character dining the dress code is fairly minimal, but it is a little more strict for signature dining. Those that are rated $$$ on WDW's website. At the moment, only the Cinderella castle character meal comes to mind. On the other hand, most folks take LOTS of pictures at character meals. Sometimes we freshen up before dinner, especially if we've been swimming or went on a wet ride.

Kali is the wettest ride at WDW. Splash is mildly wet. Good to avoid denim and sheer whites on either. Universal also has several very wet rides.

Surprisingly, FL spring weather can be a bit all over the place. The only BIG rule I'd say is always bring 2 pairs of quality, comfortable walking shoes at WDW. Usually one pair of sneakers and one pair of water tolerant sandals for everyone.

Often in April, we've happily been able to wear shorts all day and night. Surprisingly, we've even in August we've seen it cool enough - at night after a storm- that about 50% of folks were wearing capri's/long pants and/or jackets!

We usually bring at least one long pair of pants, rain jackets, plastic ponchos, a few sweaters/sweatshirts (lighter ones in summer), at least one pair of shorts, and swimsuits. Odds are good you'll get at least some 80's/swim weather. Personally, I also find some dining locations, airports, and hotel hallways to be slightly chilly year round.

In the parks, we minimize what we carry. Our favorite WDW rain jackets are super-lightweight+ fold into a pocket. I don't have this one, but something similar: Uniqlo pocketable parka.

One last point- girls often wear costume dresses to princess meals, and some families even wear matching shirts/themed/coordinated ones. I'm not advocating any of that, but your son might find it fun to wear Mickey when meeting Mickey, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

I struggled getting out of Astro Orbiter in a dress, haha. As for rides like Space Mountain, just sort of tuck it under/around your legs when you sit down & pull the lap bar down.

My weather forecast: It will be hot in April. Not as hot as later in the summer, but too hot for long pants.

I've ridden FoP 4 times and each time I was in a full-skirted sundress. I had no issues. I simply tucked the dress under me when I got on the "banshee" and away you go! I wear dresses in the parks 95% of the time and have never had any issue getting on or off a ride.

Your son will be fine wearing park or active attire to the character meals.

The weather varies so much in FL throughout the year. I would just check the weather about two days ahead of time and pack accordingly.

I've ridden FoP 4 times and each time I was in a full-skirted sundress. I had no issues. I simply tucked the dress under me when I got on the "banshee" and away you go! I wear dresses in the parks 95% of the time and have never had any issue getting on or off a ride.

Your son will be fine wearing park or active attire to the character meals.

The weather varies so much in FL throughout the year. I would just check the weather about two days ahead of time and pack accordingly.

This. I wear sundresses more often than not.

I love and live in dresses. Never had a problem wearing one to Disney. I would be careful about a straight skirt without a kick pleat, but those are generally uncomfortable anyway. Of course, I am the weirdo who wears heels to the parks, so what do I know about comfort??? :crazy:

Definitely check the weather before you go and maybe take a pair of long pants and a sweatshirt just in case. Ten years ago we were in Disney in mid-April. The first few days of the trip were hot and we wore shorts and t-shirts. Then the weather turned cold and windy. We only had the long pants we wore on the plane down to FL. Then my daughter's diaper leaked on the only pair of long pants I had and the only pair she had. There were no long pants, no sweat pants, no pajama pants, no pants what-so-ever in any Disney gift shop anywhere that I could find in mid-April 2008. Fun times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter