• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Appliances to add to packing list

themojosupreme

No wifi, but a great connection!
Getting our packing list ready and wondering what appliances people bring camping? The list could include electric griddle, tv, fan???? If you have one that is a MUST to bring, that would be great to add to our list. Thanks. :chat:

Well my wife and I are actually taking our "new to us" motorhome down to Ft. Wilderness in September and it will actually be our maiden voyage (dangerous I know lol.) We were actually just discussing this earlier today and one that we decided we'd pack is our Mickey Mouse Sandwich Toaster (leaves a little imprint of Mickey on the top and bottom.) That way if we get tired of cold sandwiches we can heat things up ;-)

PS.. Early congrats on your 25th anniversary and fantastic on 10 years cancer free!

I love bringing our crockpot, especially when we decide to take a late afternoon/early evening break. I pop something in in the morning and we come back we have a tasty meal. Also a coffee pot is a must, nobody wants to see me without coffee. Those are my two necessities. Also a small vacuum is nice to have because the floors get kind of dirty with people in and out.

Enjoy your trip!!

Crock pot, electric fry pan ( we cook everything in there), electric roasting pan (use it like you would an oven), electric kettle and electric heater. Oh and maybe a microwave. Are we camping still? LOL

Coffee pot, mini fridge, toaster, electric skillet, double burner hot plate, table top stove, large crock pot, small crock pot......

More electrical items....flat screen tv with dvd player, cable hook ups, space heaters, electric blankets, iPad, iPhones, chargers and......give me a few I'll think of some more ;)

Hehe.

For tent camping we have ( all camping supplies stay in storage in Fl.) electric tea kettles, 2 fans ( double room tent ), alarm clock, and power strip to plug everything in the tent with.

The big question back is are you "Tent" Camping, Pop-Up camping, TT/5th Wheel Camping or Class A (and along that line) camping?

I ask because with our TT we don't need a microwave, stove, refrigerator, AC or even heater (although I bring an electric oil filled heater to use over the Gas Furnace to save on Gas when it is needed).

In addition to the "Included" appliances of our TT, A toaster, and an electric griddle are good too. I do bring a coffee pot, but it's not an "Appliance" type, rather a percolator type (Stove or campfire). We also don't do a lot of "Crock" cooking, but I can certainly see value in it.

Other good stuff:
  • outside lights
  • fan (particularly if you are in a tent)
  • Electric Kettle (hot water)
  • hot plate (we have a PIC - Precision Induction Cooktop that is good)
  • Vacuum
  • Iron/Ironing board
  • Blender/Blender stick (if you make those "Beverages"

:disrocks:
PS.. Early congrats on your 25th anniversary and fantastic on 10 years cancer free!
Thank you for your kindness!
Like the sandwich toaster idea as we will be there in a colder month and a hot sandwich will be wonderful. (Our sandwich press is plain -- probably not as delicious as your Mickey Mouse maker. lol)

Everyone is coming up with brilliant ideas - practical and fun! Cant wait to see more! Thanks.

Less is more folks. All of that stuff sounds great, but when you actually get there the aggravation of packing it, unpacking it, finding a space to use it, cleaning it, tripping over it all week, and the general clutter makes you wish you had just left it all behind. I suggest taking just the basics and then 1 extra favorite cooking device you know you will really use a lot (e.g. crock pot or griddle).

Also, remember a lot of trailers have a single 30AMP power connection for EVERYTHING. These vehicles are not wired to run as many electrical gadgets as your home. If you are running a curling iron, hair dryer, AC, Microwave, and decide to plug in the electric griddle...

Sometimes a good old Coleman 2 burner stove out of the picnic table is the easiest, keeps all of the heat and mess out of your trailer.

Less is more

For Fort Wilderness, we found a 4-slice toaster to be very useful for fast breakfasts of bagels, toast, or waffles.

Less is more folks. All of that stuff sounds great, but when you actually get there the aggravation of packing it, unpacking it, finding a space to use it, cleaning it, tripping over it all week, and the general clutter makes you wish you had just left it all behind. I suggest taking just the basics and then 1 extra favorite cooking device you know you will really use a lot (e.g. crock pot or griddle).

Also, remember a lot of trailers have a single 30AMP power connection for EVERYTHING. These vehicles are not wired to run as many electrical gadgets as your home. If you are running a curling iron, hair dryer, AC, Microwave, and decide to plug in the electric griddle...

Sometimes a good old Coleman 2 burner stove out of the picnic table is the easiest, keeps all of the heat and mess out of your trailer.

Less is more
While I agree with the "Less is More" concept, it also depends on what I am doing. Camping ("Glamping"?) in a TT or a Tent. Fortunately in the TT I don't need a lot of "Extras" as much is already part of the camper and those that I do bring are not much of a hassle for packing/unpacking.

For us our latest "Must have" appliance is the Griddle. We like our morning "Bacon and Eggs" or French "Toast and Sausage". The thing about the griddle is that I can take it out to the Picnic table and cook the bacon OUTSIDE and keep the splatter to a minimum on the INSIDE of our camper. I don't have a portable Stove to use out side (well, ok, I have a single burner MSR stove for when I hike but that's not really appropriate for cooking bacon), so I love the griddle. I will cook the other stuff on the griddle in the TT because quite frankly, it's a larger surface and easier to cook things like french toast or pancakes.

It really depends on how you are camping. If you are in an RV of any size and cooking for more then 2, the stove is just not big enough. And even though I am a 50A trailer, I have managed with the same items just fine on 30A power.

My must haves are permanently packed into the RV and setup and clean up is not that big of an issue. It is not like I leave them all out at once, nor use them at the same time. My kitchen electric devices list is as follows: Griddle (larger cooking area for many things), an electric skillet (quite handy for keeping things warm or when the stove is full), my coffee maker, a waffle iron (mickey waffles of course), toaster (little 2 slice jobber), and a crock pot. Those few items help with me breakfast or preparing meals for 4-8 people without issue. The top item of course is the coffee maker, but the griddle and crock pot are close seconds. The skillet and toaster not as much but great to have around if you ask me.

At Disney the crock pot sees a lot of use, it is perfect for the dinner nights planned in to just setup the meal, turn it on and head to the parks. The rest help with the planned hot breakfast, the quick bagel before heading into the park, and much more. The only good thing about having a 50A rig at Disney is I can run more then one of them inside at the same time. But even when I was on 30 amp, I had no problem making a breakfast for 12 without having to go out into the heat, but it took the stove, oven and griddle to prep the meal.

I have never had an issue with our 30 Amp service either. Only time is if I am plugged into shore power using a 20 amp line (like I have at home) and I decide I want to use the A/C AND the Microwave. Really, though, that doesn't happen much at all because I only am using any of these things while prepping for a trip (or charging the batteries). I really only know this because once the DW and I were sitting in our camping (resting from getting it prepped for a trip) and kind of hiding from the kids (I know... that's bad right?) It was hot so the A/C was on, but my coffee was cold, so I went to heat it up in the Microwave. Pop - goes the breaker. Lesson learned.

ON a 30 Amp connection, I have had the A/C on, Microwave running, and the griddle going too. My coffee pot goes on the stove so no issues there for me either. While I have a toaster (small 2 slice toaster) I recently bought a "Over the stove/fire" type of toaster and it works well too. minimizing our "Power" requirements.

At Disney the great thing is they have good solid power. Even if you are in a small popup camper you can plug it into the 30 and still run off the 20A at the post without fear of low voltage. Heck when I am there I am using the 50 plus the 20 for stuff outside the camper.

They have solid power and they have great water pressure too. While not strictly an "Appliance" though, a water pressure regulator is a MUST if you are hooking a camper/TT/RV up to the water. We found out the first time we were there (and didn't have one) that the pressure was so great that it caused our lines to leak. Fortunately, it didn't ruin anything and it only leaked out the "Crimped" connections. Now we know and have a regulator AND a spare just in case.

My latest favorite silly little appliance is an egg sandwich maker. I actually bought a second one to keep at the office since I liked it so well. If you like egg sandwiches this little thing is pretty slick for making sammies quickly and easily. I know you could easily make one in a skillet (or microwave) and toaster, but I certainly can't do that in the office, and this little thing does it all at once. They make a double one now as well, but that would take up more space.

We also love our mickey waffle maker, that lives in our camper :) We also keep a small crock pot in our camper but don't use it that often...I should plan to use it more often. We grill a lot when we camp, including a lot of foil pouch cooking for veggies. For quickie meals I do a lot of frozen pre-prepped stuff I make at home and just throw it in the microwave.

If you are smoothie drinkers, I use a little Ninja chopper that we keep in the camper. Not quite as awesome as my Ninja Pulse at home, but it gets the job done and takes a very small amount of space. http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-NJ110GR..._sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BTT484MN2AM3VG1P83A

We always take our toaster oven (heats up faster than the oven in our MH so perfect for smaller jobs) and Keurig. I sometimes take the Crock Pot. The electric griddle gets a lot of use.

We also have a hand vac that we never use. We either use a broom & dustpan or a small upright vac I keep on board.

Also have a travel iron with a small hanging ironing board (IKEA). I rarely use that because I don't care if my clothes are wrinkled while I'm camping.

A fan has several uses. We use ours mostly while sitting outside to try to keep bugs away.

That's about all I can think of that we have.

A fan has several uses. We use ours mostly while sitting outside to try to keep bugs away.
Never really thought about using the fan for keeping bugs away. I can see how that could work though. I kind of like that idea.

We put up an ez up with clothes bars in it, hang the towels and keep a fan running over them, dries things nicely. We also keep a gas grill and toaster over outside for cooking. The inside appliances are too small for a family of 5 and it keeps the heat and smells outside.

I tend to use the "less is more" concept in most daily practices in my life. We are pretty simple when it gets down to it. Our home has zero clutter and much of our life is based on a minimalist approach (you wouldn't think so by the way we camp though).

But for long extended stay trips at the Fort I want every single home comfort feature I can cram in that mini van!

We don't bring our home kitchen pots and pans, small appliances, etc. We have a separate set exclusive for our camp camping and when we get back home I'm just putting things up in storage instead of trying to piece my home back together.

To me camping at the Fort is a "more is more is BETTER" concept!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter