Appetizer only at table service, have you ever done it?

Bete

DIS Veteran
I know technically you can probably do just an appetizer. Just wondering if this is frowned upon.

I was kind of thinking it might be fun to do a couple of restaurants this way and skip a full meal in any one place.

So, what do you think?

My only take on it is that if it's a table of 4 and only one appetizer is ordered that server is losing out compared to a table of 4 complete meals. I'd let the server know I will make it right for them, and tip well (as long as the service is good) and enjoy it.

My wife and I do this often at Chefs de France- and it's never frowned upon. We both will have a soup and share the cheese board. Spice Road Table is another place where we tend to just order apps - as well as Wine Bar George. So, truly do not worry. Enjoy your appetizers, your company, and the ambiance of the restaurant.

We just did that two times last week. We share a flatbread pizza & salad at Mama Melrose . At Homecomin we shared the chicken thigh biscuits & hushpuppies. Both meals were lunch and since we had dinner plans & didn't want entrees or large sandwiches.

Regular habit of mine!

I do try to be respectful of the "expected tip" for the server. If the total tab and length of time is roughly equivalent to my ordering an entree and water - then I think of the tip that way. If I ordered a single app, water, and then sit there for 1.5-2 hours - I'd be sure to way over tip the server. They might be grumpy about me sitting there forever ordering little - but I try to make it right in the end in terms of their expected basic income from a table.

Did it last Saturday at Sana'a. Have done it at lunch for BOG, ordering only dessert and a beverage. Go for it!

I travel with extended family most trips, so we're a slightly above average party size wise most times we have an ADR. Some members of our party will often share apps as a meal (with a salad or soup each), or split entrees, or desserts. We usually make up in lost food revenue with our drink orders, lol, but we also tip very well and have never been made to feel that we were doing something wrong while there.

Last edited:
This is a question that pops up from time to time.
I am curious about something, for those who ask it, why do you think you couldn't do it? What do you think would happen if you got there and ordered just an appetizer? It's not like Disney is going to force food on you or toss you out for not ordering an entree. I really was curious why the question even enters someones mind

This is a question that pops up from time to time.
I am curious about something, for those who ask it, why do you think you couldn't do it? What do you think would happen if you got there and ordered just an appetizer? It's not like Disney is going to force food on you or toss you out for not ordering an entree. I really was curious why the question even enters someones mind

I think it is because so many posts in these threads are from people on the Dining Plan, which has lots of rules and restrictions. People then forget that, if you are paying out-of-pocket, the restaurants function just like any other restaurant! Order what you want!

DH and I are locals and do this all the time, we make sure we take care of the server...
We like to sit at the bar, and have an appetizer and drink or adult beverage to go along with it... the bartenders are happy when you order food, it ups their ticket price, thus the tip, if we sit at a table we tell the server, we are going to order some app's, possibly dessert and a few cocktails.. ... we will take good care of you... and follow through with a nice tip, sometimes I think that the server doesn't mind a table ordering some app's and sitting it gives them a chance to catch up, and then the still make a full tip on a table...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter