• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

AP vs. no expiration

deide71

DIS Veteran
In researching various ticket options, I have had a hard time deciding btwn annual pass and MYW w/ no expiration. I feel the one year window would cause us to return earlier than we would prefer, and MYW w/ noe expiration is appx the same price, but no bennies of course.

Has anyone else crunched these numbers?

Are the bennies really good enough to be a consideration in the decision?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Denise :banana:

I'm weighing my options, too, and have loved in the past having the old-fashioned tickets that did not expire...i would always "over buy" so that i'd have at least 2 days left on a pass and then my next trip would seem so cheap! FOr my November trip, though, I am pretty sure i'll go withe the AP (just for me) and here's why I THINK i can justify it: First, I am a DVC member so the AP is just over $300 for me. Second, I am hosting 8 friends for this trip and, even tho we will only be there Thurs-Sun, I am treating them all to dinner at CG one night so the DDE offfered AP holders becomes a significant factor. I assume the tab that night with wine and our food could easily be in the $600 range so the 20% DDE discount could save me at least $100 that night alone! Throw in a few more meals this trip and then think in terms of a trip next year with my family and, well, I can't resist the AP . Room discounts might be also valuable to me next year as I am using all of my DVC points for this Grand Villa experience coming up. Yes, the AP probably does increase the likelihood that you will add another trip maybe a little prematurely but two Disney trips in a 12 month period isn't the worst way to spend vacation time!

It really depends on how many days total you will visit in 365. We have often used the APs and only gone once a year. That means, we went the second week of January one year and the 1st week of January the next year, utilizing the same pass for virtually two year's trips. I will admit though, that now that we have had APs for nearly 9 years, we do tend to go an extra time in there.

In two trips, we have often gotten in 20 days, and if we take three trips, it is usually closer to 30 days per AP, so it makes the most sense for us.

I was having the same issue but the discount on the ap's and being able to get the DDE card did it for me! We are going in the first week of October so next year we will try to go the last week of September.:paw:

I think the AP with the DVC discount is a few dollars cheaper than the 10-day ticket with no expiration and park hopping options, but not much cheaper. The APs carry additional benefits like discounts at restaurants, hotels, shopping, etc that the regular tickets don't, so this might translate into even more of a savings with AP discounts. However, if work/school schedules don't allow for 2 trips to WDW within one year or one extended trip, the APs probably aren't the best choice.

Good luck!

I think it's going to depend on how many days you are planning to spend on disney and if you want the water parks too.
Adding the water parks option for the 10 day ticket w/no expiration is only $45 and you can go five times to the water parks. With the DVC discount, you will pay $30 each time you go to a water park.
There are other things to consider, such as if you want to park-hop, which is an additional $35 in your ticket w/no expiration.
In my particular case this year what we did is we bought one seasonal pass (I live in FL) and with that we get the DDE. Then, since we are going in thanksgiving with only three days for parks and in October 06 for 5 days of parks, we bought 10 days MYW w/no expiration, park hopper and magic plus for the rest of the family. We will use 8 (or maybe less if we go to other non-disney parks) of those days this year, and still will have 2 more days + any water park pass left for 07 forward. We would have saved $105 per adult on water parks tickets and will not be pressured to go to disneys parks only because we have the AP instead of enyoing some other Orlando attractions.
But again, the final answer will depend in how you usually spend your time during vacations. If you are one of those that have to hit a disney park every single day of your visit, including arrival and check out date even if it is for two hours only, then you are better of with the AP so that you don't feel you are "wasting" your MYW days.
But, if you are like us and like to enjoy the best that Orlando has to offer outside of disney you should really give it a thought to the MYW w/no expiration which could be there for you for two or maybe more years. It's like DVC, you will make a larger investment right now, but it will save you money in the long run and you will not feel pressured to make decisions based on the expiration date of the AP.

I usually figure the AP breakeven is 6-7 days for the no expiration tix. If we are going to go more than one time for at least 5 days each time, we would definately opt for the DVC AP.

Here's the math:
DVC discounted AP: ~$315
4 day MYW park hopping w/expiration: ~$243
7 day MYW park hopping w/expiration: ~$249
10 day MYW park hopping w/no expiration: ~$360

So, if we're going more than once in a year, then definately the AP, since the no expiration tix cost more as would two sets of expiring tix. If the second visit in the 12 months is possible but not certain, I think I'd still go for the APs (for at least one adult) to get the discounts if going more than 5 days; it just doesn't seem cost-effective to pay all that money for the no expiration feature if you're only gonna get 4 days out of it. I guess it would depend too on how likely that second trip was. I think I'd still go for the AP in general tho as it is such a good deal.

we will be going in November, but staying off site (we already booked and paid for the trip prior to becoming DVC members) and I just purchased airfare for us to return in April for Spring Break. So this time, we'll be there for 6 full days and 2 half days (arriving 11/5, departing 11/12) and in April we'll be there for 5 full days and 1 half day.

If we go to the parks at least part of each full day and perhaps 1 or 2 of the half days, that would be 12-13 park days. Of course, with the DVC discount, the AP clearly is the best choice. Plus, I can purchase the DDE and use it for our November trip when we are offsite (hoping to be on site in April and perhaps on the dining plan).

Also, since we are offsite in November, the AP gives us free parking, so at $8/day for 6 days, is a savings of $48 as well. Plus, we have 4 days left on a 5 day park hopper for our 7 yo son that I can use as value against his AP. So clearly, it would appear that APs are the way to go for our family.

Now, someone else said something about feeling like you need to go into the parks every day in order to get the most value from the AP. If I were to purchase 10 MYW non expire hoppers, I might be more willing to take a day or two off and just stay at the resort or perhaps even do a day at Sea World. Of course, the cost/day savings of the AP really does make it the best option.

I guess I just answered my own question. The real issue will come up in November 06 when it's renewal time. We *should* be able to get 2 days from our original APs when we return for our trip in Nov 06. That means that we would need passes for the remaining 5 days, with (at this time) no idea if we would be back during the year to use them again. Guess time will tell on that choice.

I'm hoping that the answer is AP. I just bought my first along with the DDE card. I don't know if I really needed the AP, but I'm new to DVC - and the discount seemed to good to be true. I will be returning within the year (leaving August - going back in April - perhaps squeezing in another August next year). So, I hope it pays off.
Also, I just figured out how to add clipart to my signature, so I am showing it off. (BW logo). This DIS board thing is way too addictive!

Thanks for all of the great advice. I appreciate all of the thought that went into the replies. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter