AP renewal??

Your current ap will be extended automatically from date the parks closed to the date they reopen.
Your renewal start date is unknown for now.

Send an email to UO and check with them how they plan to do renewals.

I have not looked at their website to see if they have addressed renewals during their closure.

Your current ap will be extended automatically from date the parks closed to the date they reopen.
Your renewal start date is unknown for now.

Send an email to UO and check with them how they plan to do renewals.

I have not looked at their website to see if they have addressed renewals during their closure.

Hi M:

Do you have the email address?

Tim/Hawk

They are adding time but not an entire year.

Ap’s that are not expired during closure period UO is in, will get 3 additional months.

If your ap expires during the covid closure, call now to secure your ap extension.

Policies change from what I knew up to last night.
If there are new updates or changes about AP extensions, that is always possible so call to verify.

I called the ap line to check my expiration date.

Mine has the additional months listed now.

My renewal date was July but now it shows October for expiration.

I just checked mine and the date has not been changed. It is set to expire on June 2nd. Even if they add 3 months, I’ve lost my April trip and lord knows I have zero interest in going to Florida during Jun-August.

My passes are on flex pay. They are suppose to renew on May 28th which is the day we signed the flex pay contract last year but don't expire until June 4th which was our first day using them in the parks last year. When I call the number and put my pass number in I get a response that says "there is an issue with your pass". I really hope I didn't make a years worth of payments for a pass that isn't going to be extended for the duration that the parks are closed.

Call tomorrow and talk to a TM

I called today as I could not get the correct info thru the automated system.

Call tomorrow and talk to a TM

I called today as I could not get the correct info thru the automated system.
Thank you for the reply. I will call tomorrow. The last few times I have called they never seem to be able to give me a straight answer on what's going on. They always say they won't know anything definite until they have a confirmed date on reopening. Did they confirm with you that they are definitely opening up on June 1st?

When I called today and talked to a TM, I asked about that June 1 date for opening.

TM told me that is the plan for now for park opening and they are now telling callers this is the present plan.

I did ask if this is really etched in stone.
Her reply was Universal informed staff to release that info to all that call and ask when opening date will be.

If this date changes due to whatever reason, I’m sure UO will do an updated announcement to the public.

June 1st seems reasonable at this point.

Does not mean it wont be a phased in approach.
Maybe FL residents only June 1st - they dont want a bunch of people flying day 1 in IMO.
Then APs in Mid June, they added three months to APs, so that gives them til mid June.
Then everyone July 1st.

Over that month they will have a pretty good idea the effect.
In then end Sweden did not shut down at all and it did not go off the rails - its doing better than almost half the EU
Considering all the people that went to FL right up until the end - FL seems to be doing amazingly well

BTW- flights from the north east to Orlando June 1st are $66 return - so I could see some people jumping on that immediately

Last edited:
They are adding time but not an entire year.

Ap’s that are not expired during closure period UO is in, will get 3 additional months.

If your ap expires during the covid closure, call now to secure your ap extension.

Policies change from what I knew up to last night.
If there are new updates or changes about AP extensions, that is always possible so call to verify.

Yes, but this adding days for days closed is just creating a moving target for people to try to plan possible vacations... a lot of people only have a certain time of year they go on vacation, so by adding a blanket year extension people could plan for their normal times next year, and not feel pressured to make it happen with all the chaos going on. Of course this assumes there is a 'normal' to return to.

Again, it wouldn't actually be a year extra as the current closure time is included. It wouldn't be much different than the extra 6 months promo they had last year.

Yes, but this adding days for days closed is just creating a moving target for people to try to plan possible vacations... a lot of people only have a certain time of year they go on vacation, so by adding a blanket year extension people could plan for their normal times next year, and not feel pressured to make it happen with all the chaos going on. Of course this assumes there is a 'normal' to return to.

Again, it wouldn't actually be a year extra as the current closure time is included. It wouldn't be much different than the extra 6 months promo they had last year.
yeah - Im in the same boat as you - but Annual Passes are more geared to locals and not people who go one week a year.
Its still cheaper than buying regular tickets
Id reach out to them and explain the situation - not sure they can do much for you if you already used it once this year - but if you have not maybe they can do something
They have been very cooperative so its worth a shot

I hear you, for the past decade we had to plan everything around baseball, football and school breaks...which meant late March/early April or late May. This is the first year we were not going to have to worry about a date, after mid May, as our youngest is a Senior. We bought the APs last year, which came with the extra 6 months, so we were good until end of September, this year. We were headed down the day after Graduation and celebrating his 18th birthday, that same week. Well, we all know what has happened and Graduation has been moved five weeks later...at least. But, we are getting by and thankful we are all healthy and realize we could be in much worse shape than missing some AP time. Still, it will be nice to get back, as soon as possible.

Glad i saw this thread again, forgot to renew my APH yet again that expires this month. Was going to wait it out until the grace period next month to see how things play out. Concerned I just might not get the shutdown period extension in that event. Have already renewed jr’s pass in February, might as well take a leap of faith :)

In then end Sweden did not shut down at all and it did not go off the rails - its doing better than almost half the EU
Considering all the people that went to FL right up until the end - FL seems to be doing amazingly well

BTW- flights from the north east to Orlando June 1st are $66 return - so I could see some people jumping on that immediately
If anything jumping on a cheapo flight, even if just a 2 hour one to MCO, gives me great pause right now. Even tho the planes are being steam cleaned, etc., the air is still recirculated. For the 1st time in 15 years, I’m remotely considering two other unappealing options: that long drive or a five hour one to Lorton to catch the auto train.

IMO the Jury is decidedly out whether sweden is ‘doing well’. Guess it all depends on what stats you are reviewing. Here’s John Hopkins’ updated list from 4/23 as to reported mortality rates. Numbers could be skewed by ones not reported, (i.e. in the US nursing homes & prisons).

Germany: 6.07 deaths per 100,000 people
United States: 13.71 deaths per 100,000 people
Switzerland: 17.35 deaths per 100,000 people
Netherlands: 22.80 deaths per 100,000 people
United Kingdom: 26.14 deaths per 100,000 people
France: 31.09 deaths per 100,000 people
Italy: 40.79 deaths per 100,000 people
Belgium: 52.51 deaths per 100,000 people

Glad i saw this thread again, forgot to renew my APH yet again that expires this month. Was going to wait it out until the grace period next month to see how things play out. Concerned I just might not get the shutdown period extension in that event. Have already renewed jr’s pass in February, might as well take a leap of faith :)

If anything jumping on a cheapo flight, even if just a 2 hour one to MCO, gives me great pause right now. Even tho the planes are being steam cleaned, etc., the air is still recirculated. For the 1st time in 15 years, I’m remotely considering two other unappealing options: that long drive or a five hour one to Lorton to catch the auto train.

IMO the Jury is decidedly out whether sweden is ‘doing well’. Guess it all depends on what stats you are reviewing. Here’s John Hopkins’ updated list from 4/23 as to reported mortality rates. Numbers could be skewed by ones not reported, (i.e. in the US nursing homes & prisons).

Germany: 6.07 deaths per 100,000 people
United States: 13.71 deaths per 100,000 people
Switzerland: 17.35 deaths per 100,000 people
Netherlands: 22.80 deaths per 100,000 people
United Kingdom: 26.14 deaths per 100,000 people
France: 31.09 deaths per 100,000 people
Italy: 40.79 deaths per 100,000 people
Belgium: 52.51 deaths per 100,000 people
No point in arguing numbers on a theme park website, but you did not include Sweden's in above.
They are better than the Netherlands and they do count nursing homes, their neighbors do not.
A large portion of the problems are nursing home for many reasons. It's 20% of the US numbers.
We also dont know the true rate of infection yet - we have seen studies any where from 6-30% of the population.
That changes the death rate drastically.
In the end if your affected by this the numbers really don't matter.

Bottom line for me is if your in an at risk group you should not go to a theme park IMO.

Anyway
Drive is option - but I've done that drive down the east coast several times and it is not fun.
Also, say your driving from NY - will you get hassle in some states - people are interesting to say the least.

Auto train I've never done - but might be a good option - if you stay in your car most of the time, not sure it works that way though.
Are you more at risk for the time on the train than a plane?

Personally, unless I see really compelling evidence not too, I'll fly a reputable airline.
Just like after 9/11 airlines and security will over do it - so risk of exposure is probably low.
Studies also say the warm weather reduces the ability of the virus to spread - may be why Florida is no where near where you would expect.

JetBlue for $66 is pretty good - Ill stick the the A321s though and not the Embrair - they are flying a lot of Embrair with the reduced capacity

We have at least another month to watch things and see where we go from here.
I can always book a cheap flight and cancel it for a credit if things get worse for some unexpected reason

Tony67 - don’t get me wrong. I’m with you, still planning my various trips. It was a wake up call tho to have my 2 week cruise/Orando easter land trip cancelled. Stilll waiting for refunds lol.

SWAs new policy is nothing but generous as to extensions & ability to transfer the Credits from cancelled flights into points which never expire. We see $27 one way fares often via Spirit. It’s not difficult for us to catch a cheap flight. Unfortunately, SWA has cancelled the 5 - 7 NS flights to MCO per day to only 2.

No mystery why nursing homes have high fatalities. I had to place my mother a few years ago. Despite the majority of residents receiving flu & pneumonia vaccines, it’s scary when the first person in her pod contracts the flu. Literally, it spreads like wildfire. Interestingly, this winter is the first one where they didn’t lose one single patient in my her pod due to it. Haven’t been able to see her in 1-1/2 months. Miss her, but I’m good with the lockdown if it keeps them from getting stricken with it.

Autotrain - from poking around on the site, it appears you get a seat or a compartment, some more comfortable than others. Far pricer than flying for us but if the rental car rates don’t drop, might be a different story.

There is conflicting info out there on ‘warm weather’ re the virus. It spread fast in warm/humid Australia & Iran. Certain UV lights work, but dangerous to people. I really hope it slinks away and never comes back!!!

The link re Sweden didn’t post for some reason, sorry. Will list below, here are high lights of article:

Sweden’s recent stated death toll was 2,194. That represents three times the per-million tally recorded in Denmark and Germany & more than six times that of Finland.

They’ve had closures of some schools and banned gatherings of more than 50 people but only ‘asked’ people to avoid non-essential travel, work from home and stay at home if they are elderly or ill.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ens-light-touch-on-covid-19-yet-says-minister

Germany has done quite well.

From what I understand Finland, and Norway are not counting nursing homes.
No idea what else they are doing on their numbers - but Ill have to look into that.
In the end comparing any two countries is tough.
Us vs mexico vs Canada for example.
Australia and NZ have pretty good numbers IMO

I don't put a ton of faith in a particular article from any source - I look at many of them - its on spin on both sides of it .
But I have even less trust in the Guardian - and I have read that article.
Seen similar articles in several countries and ones from the other angle as well.
Australia numbers are 3 per million, new Zealand 4 - not that that means anything at the end of the day

In general with these things its harder to spread in warmer weather - lets hope that is the way it goes.
I do expect it will be back again in the late fall - but Id be VERY glad to be wrong.

Anyway - we are getting off topic

Jet Blues policy is through January 4th at this point and you can get a credit that's good for two years - so for me its well worth the risk.
Starting may 4th EVERYONE on JetBlue must wear a mask from check in to baggage claim. Seems reasonable.
I also prefer not to have a car as I dont want to pay for parking - its outrageous IMO - and I dont usually leave property
Uber is always an option - but with COVID - yet another risk ...

In the end its all risk and people have to make the best decision for themselves based on how they see the numbers.
Personally - today based on what I know and my health - I like the odds.
People in High risk groups should self quarantine and use more caution than others

The bigger question for me is will it be enjoyable?
Part of the enjoyment for me is sitting in a bar - talking to the bartenders and maybe the people around me and having interesting discussions about whatever.
Now will bar stools be six feet apart? Will I be drinking my Mia Tai through a straw wearing a mask at Strongwater?
What will the conga lines at HHN be like?
Will all the SAs need to wear masks as well?
Will people at HHN who drink to much overreact if someone is only 4.5 feet from them - or what if someone coughs in line - even if they are wearing a mask

There is a ton to think through here before I actually go - but I also want to go back to support Universal and especially the staff.
Assuming I still have a job and can afford it Ill be sure to tip the waitstaff a bit extra no doubt.

Last edited:

I wanted to give my experience talking to the AP people today to work out my renewal. Here is my situation:

My final flex pay was supposed to be this week for my 2 AP's, it was put on hold as everyone's was. My renewal would have gone through with the new rates as well, but I only wanted to renew one of the 2 AP's so I called today to figure out how to get this worked out before the new amount hit. Here is what I was told: Right now, my payments were set to resume in July. That could be extended of course but that was what was in the system right now. My AP's would have expired in August, but the new expiration date is November. So it was not a day for days closed addition to my AP, just a straight three months added on. I was able to authorize the renewal with the TM and he confirmed the three month free promo was active and showing on my pass as of today.

He also said that holiday dates had just been announced...Mid-November start date, but that's a totally different topic!

We are booked for June 27-July 2 and just keeping fingers crossed that it will happen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter