AP Renewal Question

Princess_Lisa

DIS Veteran
Tomorrow is 60 days from the expiration of my pass. I am currently Gold and would like to keep the PhotoPass, but was hoping to get the monthly payment ($44.43/month) down a little. As I understand it, I will not be able put another down payment except in person at Guest Relations. So, I was wondering if I could renew at Silver ($33.12/month) with the intention of reupgrading later. A sort of a delayed down payment.

Will I be able to downgrade to Silver tomorrow online or will I only be able to renew online at Gold or above? Am I correct, that I should still retain my Gold perks (PhotoPass and No Summer Blackouts) until August 5 when my current pass expires even if for some reason I didn't reupgrade before then?

[EDIT] I should add that I have an onsite stay planned for my birthday in August and my FP window would open in 9 days, so unless I run down this weekend, I won't have an opportunity to do anything in person before then. This is why I was hoping to be able to do it online.

Tomorrow is 60 days from the expiration of my pass. I am currently Gold and would like to keep the PhotoPass, but was hoping to get the monthly payment ($44.43/month) down a little.
1. As I understand it, I will not be able put another down payment except in person at Guest Relations. So, I was wondering if I could renew at Silver ($33.12/month)
6. with the intention of reupgrading later. A sort of a delayed down payment.

2. Will I be able to downgrade to Silver tomorrow online
3. or will I only be able to renew online at Gold or above?
4. Am I correct, that I should still retain my Gold perks (PhotoPass and No Summer Blackouts) until August 5 when my current pass expires
5. even if for some reason I didn't reupgrade before then?

[EDIT] I should add that I have an onsite stay planned for my birthday in August and my FP window would open in 9 days, so unless I run down this weekend, I won't have an opportunity to do anything in person before then. This is why I was hoping to be able to do it online.
1. Renewals don't require a down payment.
2. Yes.
3. You can choose any level of AP you like, and get that version of AP's renewal price.
4. Yes.
5. You will retain the benefits of your CURRENT AP until the date that AP expires.
6. If you UPGRADE an AP during the life of a lesser AP, I think that you MIGHT owe the full amount at the time of the upgrade.
But, it does not appear that you will want to pay for that upgrade all at once.
(It MIGHT be that you would only owe the DIFFERENCE price at the upgrade time
(as you intimated) but, I'm not sure about that.)

Last edited:
6. If you UPGRADE an AP during the life of a lesser AP, I think that you MIGHT owe the full amount at the time of the upgrade.
But, it does not appear that you will want to pay for that upgrade all at once.
(It MIGHT be that you would only owe the DIFFERENCE price at the upgrade time
(as you intimated) but, I'm not sure about that.)

I started with Weekday Select and upgraded twice (first to Silver to get weekends and then Gold for PhotoPass). I paid the price difference (about $150) both times. Upgrading shouldn't be a problem. I've just never renewed/downgraded.

I started with Weekday Select and upgraded twice (first to Silver to get weekends and then Gold for PhotoPass). I paid the price difference (about $150) both times. Upgrading shouldn't be a problem. I've just never renewed/downgraded.

The "downgrade" at renewal time will be just fine.
If you are comfortable that you will only have to pay the lump sum of the upgrade charge when you are ready
to upgrade, then
it sounds like you're all set.

Disney's site is acting all glitchy today. It looks like I can downgrade - if I could get it to not throw "Someone Ate This Page". I can see all the passes with a "Select" button, but when I click to view prices it only shows me Platinum and Platinum Plus. I'm a Florida Resident.

[EDIT] Nope. It looks like the Select buttons are for buying a new pass. Had to Google to find the correct page and "Someone Ate" it.

Disney's site is acting all glitchy today. It looks like I can downgrade - if I could get it to not throw "Someone Ate This Page". I can see all the passes with a "Select" button, but when I click to view prices it only shows me Platinum and Platinum Plus. I'm a Florida Resident.

[EDIT] Nope. It looks like the Select buttons are for buying a new pass. Had to Google to find the correct page and "Someone Ate" it.

Just call 'em to renew.

Usually if you clear the cookies/cache/browsing data you will stop getting the "Stitch ate the page." At least for a while. It's a cute picture, but still frustrating.

Have you tried BOTH the phone app and the website?

Have you tried BOTH the phone app and the website?

Yes. I can't renew on the App though. Disney's Internet Help Desk says its a known issue that they are working on and to try the site later.

I prefer not to do anything by phone if I can avoid it. Too much room for error.

I prefer not to do anything by phone if I can avoid it. Too much room for error.
I have much more the opposite opinion, but since you’re not in a “time crunch” situation, you’ll be OK if you wait for the on line situation to work.

You are not able to renew a Florida Res AP with monthly payments by phone - only online or in person.

Was finally able to renew this morning. I went ahead and renewed at Gold rather than doing Silver and upgrading later which I had considered. It now shows 2 Gold passes. The first expires August 2018 and the second August 2019. I should be good to go? I don't need to activate/prove my residency again?

Was finally able to renew this morning. I went ahead and renewed at Gold rather than doing Silver and upgrading later which I had considered. It now shows 2 Gold passes. The first expires August 2018 and the second August 2019. I should be good to go? I don't need to activate/prove my residency again?

You shouldn't have to, but if I were you, I would bring a Florida ID or proof of residency with you on the first 'new pass' visit just to be on the safe side. Usually, resident renewals online don't require another activation, but sometimes they do, and I've yet to figure out the pattern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter