AP for One Trip Question

WIDad

Earning My Ears
So, we are planning a trip in early 2021 that looks like it might be a big family trip. We are planning on staying on-property. There will be 14-19 of us needing 4-5 rooms (most likely at a Moderate resort). We would be getting 7-day park hoppers.

Would it make sense for one of us (probably me since I'm the planner) to get an annual pass for the room discounts (and other benefits)?

We are from Wisconsin and this would be the only trip with the AP.

Is this a viable option or is this idea more like the dining plan where you are just sort shifting money around rather than seeing much in the way of actual savings?

Thanks!

So, we are planning a trip in early 2021 that looks like it might be a big family trip. We are planning on staying on-property. There will be 14-19 of us needing 4-5 rooms (most likely at a Moderate resort). We would be getting 7-day park hoppers.

Would it make sense for one of us (probably me since I'm the planner) to get an annual pass for the room discounts (and other benefits)?

Is this a viable option or is this idea more like the dining plan where you are just sort shifting money around rather than seeing much in the way of actual savings?

Thanks!
  1. It's too early to know what benefits will be extended to AP holders in 2021.
  2. You will not be able to get a discount on 4 or 5 rooms. The maximum number is 3 per AP holder.
  3. AP room discounts are the very last to be offered and only amount to about an additional 5% off the offers for the general public. They tend to be the rooms that no one else wanted and are limited in quantity.
  4. AP room discounts may not be as good as package discounts.
  5. AP merchandise discounts are only for the AP holder. The AP holder must provide a picture ID and pay for the purchase. That could get tricky with a large group.
  6. AP dining discounts can only be applied at certain restaurants, sometimes only for lunch and does not cover alcohol. No counter service locations are included. Again, the AP holder must be present, show ID and pay for the bill. I'm also pretty sure that there is a limit as to the number of meals that can be discounted on a single bill but I'm unsure what that number is. I'm pretty confident that it is not as high as 14.

Yes it probably would. Difference between a 7 day and an annual pass is roughly $300. You can probably save more than that on just one room let alone three. I do believe, and others can correct me if I am wrong, that there is a three room limit for each passholder. So, you might need two people to purchase the AP's. This method is how we have come to justify moving up to a villa on our trips. As a matter of fact, I just received an email with a pin number this morning that gives me 25% of of a deluxe, 40% off of a villa if we schedule a 60-90 minute meeting with the DVC folks.

Also, don't forget the discounts on food and shopping that comes with an AP.

I agree, there's no way to predict what (if any) AP discounts will be available in 2021. And it definitely wouldn't benefit all of the people in your group, because of the limitations of the number of rooms and the amount of people for the dining discount.

Thanks!

If things remain as they are (and we simply don't know the full details of upgrading, etc. once the new ticket structure comes out, nor do we know what if any restrictions will be placed on AP's in 2021), my advice would be this:

Book the 4-5 rooms and tickets that you need and then wait to see what AP discounts are released for your dates. As others have said, historically, those are the last to be released and you certainly do not want to wait until then to plan your entire large-group trip. If AP discounts are released that are beneficial to you, go ahead and book as many rooms as you can with the AP discount (which would mean, of course, cancelling the packages for the rooms that new booking is replacing) and buy your AP then. You do not need an AP in-hand to book an AP discount. You only need it upon check-in. There is zero reason to buy an AP in advance prior to really knowing if it's going to be of any benefit to you.

I'm going to suggest that you investigate RENTING DVC Points. Your main "hit" is room cost, not PARK TICKET cost.
Now, there is perhaps ONE OTHER significant benefit for a person holding an "AP" - you qualify for TIW. But Max party size for ONE TIW card is 10 :(.
Hence, TWO people would need AP's, and TIW cards, for a huge party :(.

One possibility? Rent DVC points for the new CCV Cabins. Each cabin has "Capacity 8". TWO Cabins, on rented DVC Points, MIGHT work.

You will need to see what the benefits are for an AP holder but the cost of the Memory maker and other discounts could make it worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter