AP discount ID for 13 year old

After paying over $900 for an AP I'm surprised they don't have the option of a photo. We live in a rural area and really have no need for ID as a general rule.

If they had an option to, say, pay $5 and they have a style discount card with the person's photo that seems reasonable. Disney would make a few bucks on the picture and I wouldn't have to drive and stand in line at the DMV for an ID that we only need for Disney.
Another good point about getting an ID. It takes several hours to get anyting at our DMV office. Talking a half day, at least. So no, I’m not going to take a half day off work, at least, just to get an ID for a kid that has zero reason to show it anywhere else in our day to day life.

Rural life and urban life can be very different in many ways. When DGD turns 13 that changes everything, obvioiusly. As mentioned above, she will need to get her own PreCheck for one, no more using ours.

I can assure you that Disney would not be hurting in the situ
Hi everyone! My now 13 year-old has had an AP for two years now. When she's with me the CMs at retail locations have no problem giving her her AP discount with her AP card but every time she's not directly with me, like with her sister who didn't have an AP on the last trip but does now the CMs deny her the discount because she doesn't have valid ID.

I had brought the only thing close to an ID I have for her which was an IDENT-A_KID card with her photo and fingerprint (it's a school thing in case she was ever missing) and when I asked retail locations if that was acceptable they said it was but when she was on her own with other friends they denied her her discount saying it wasn't an acceptable ID. It really bothered me because she spent over $200 and should have saved about $40.

I seem to remember people saying in years past something about them taking pictures for AP. It was never offered to us. Does this still exist? We just ordered passports last month but I really don't want her carrying around her passport at Disney because if she lost it it would be a huge aggravation.

She is almost to the end of 8th grade and definitely not ready for driver's license. I guess I could get her a government ID but it seems a bit much to go through just for the AP discount.

To ensure your daughter gets the discount without any issues, it may just make sense to get the gvmt issued ID. If it saves more than the cost of the ID, it is worth it. As it is good for quite a few years, that would be my choice.
Another option is to go to Guest Relations on your first park day and ask them what they can do to help you avoid this situation during your visit.
If she has a student ID, that would suffice as well.

How many kids even have passports? I didn't get my first one until I was 19.

That would depend on travel needs and state requirements. My child had her first one at the ripe old age of 5. The other 2 kids in our family, who we frequently travel with, got their first passports at 7 & 8. We take a fair amount of cruises as well as take other vacations where we leave the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter