AP benefits

DG25

Mouseketeer
Trying to figure out how much to put on gift cards for my dining, but having a hard time figuring out what the AP discount is on many restaraunts. It says until 12/13/17 these are the discounts, due to 45 anniversary. We are going in Jan. So what will the discounts be? Is there a list of what they will be after 12/23/17. I have DVC and AP and can usually come out very close to what I need but without knowing what restaraunts will offer a discount it is hard for me to narrow down, I like saving the extra 5% for the gift cards but I don't want an extra $500 on a card at the end of vacation, and yes that happened in May when we went.

Isn't it better to have $500 left on gift cards than to run out of gift cards $275 before the end of the trip?

(This is a serious question .)

Isn't it better to have $500 left on gift cards than to run out of gift cards $275 before the end of the trip?

I kind of understand. I would much rather have that $500 to put toward something else than have it stuck on a gift card, especially if I won’t be returning to Disney for a while.

Not really. If I have used all my gift cards and have to pay out of pocket say $200, than I end up paying $10 more because I don't have a 5% discount. But if I put $500 on a gift card and don't spend it like I did in May, than yes I save $25, but it sits for months without me being able to use it. Last week needed a car repair and could have used that $500 but the only place I can spend it is a Disney. It does not make it so bad but I would prefer not to have that much left infer in gift cards, I would rather have the money in my pocket, and spend $10 without the discount if I go over. I go to Disney once or twice a year, I'm not one to buy lots of souvenirs, or extra stuff on spur moments, I plan ahead, pay ahead so I never had a bill for my vacations. That includes meals. I price them out very close, and with not knowing if there is a 20% or 10% or nothing can add up to lots. If there is a 20%, I figure no tip money needed, it will be there when they discount the price, it works out to be the price. If it is 10%, I add about 5% more and that's the tip. But with over 50 restaraunts saying the discount is until 12/23/2017 and not saying after, I can not figure it out. Was it nice to know I had $500 on a gift card to throw on my resort, sure, but to me it was a pain not to have that money when I needed it, and really did not save me money because I like so many just decided to pay for a higher price resort. But n complaints, I was at POR and POFQ and moved to BC and YC for only $20 more a night, so again no complaints. But I don't want to do it again. To me part of planning is making sure it is all paid off and working my butt off to get what I want out of each vacation.

Personally, if you aren't traveling until January, I would just wait until December arrives and see what the discounts are past the 23rd, since you can purchase the gift cards in person at Target with no notice. That's the only way you will know for sure what you are dealing with. Otherwise, if you don't want any cash left on the card, maybe split the difference and budget for 15%, and take a little extra cash to make up the difference. It really depends on how soft the bookings are whether the discounts will be the normal 10% or whether the higher discount will be extended again.

I'm wondering the same thing. Right now, my plan is to wait until december to get my GCs.

Well I won't buy until dec or jan, but it is time to start thinking of how much to save out of each check for dining. I paid the plane fare, I paid the resort fees, I paid the tickets last Friday, so now it is time to save the last bit for dining. With the discounts I know I come up with $1025, the Disney calculator comes up with $1066, so I guess I'll shoot for $1050 and hope we are close but I'm not sure how they base there price and mine is with the discounts as they stand today. Worse case I guess I put $200 on a credit card if I'm short and pay it off the first week back.

Well I won't buy until dec or jan, but it is time to start thinking of how much to save out of each check for dining. I paid the plane fare, I paid the resort fees, I paid the tickets last Friday, so now it is time to save the last bit for dining. With the discounts I know I come up with $1025, the Disney calculator comes up with $1066, so I guess I'll shoot for $1050 and hope we are close but I'm not sure how they base there price and mine is with the discounts as they stand today. Worse case I guess I put $200 on a credit card if I'm short and pay it off the first week back.

Keep in mind, if you are basing your estimates on current menus, that they aren’t carved in stone. Menu items can change price, or be dropped off the menu altogether, with no notice. It’s good to have a plan B, such as extra cash or a cc, in case it costs more due to changes. I have seen menu changes happen during some of my trips - the meal I ordered Friday was no longer on the menu Tuesday! Disappointing if that item is a favorite . .

They told me at Skipper Canteen today they are changing the entire menu in two weeks. I was telling them that always before I was kind of meh about in-park food at MK. Epcot and HS have always been my in-park food parks. Skipper Canteen just elevated the food expectations for MK. I hate to see my new favorite go so quickly.

We just spent $1500 in GC on a 5 night 4 day trip. We visited FWF, ate three table service meals (with 20% AP discount) and one visit to Nomad Lounge (for lunch). Most of that money was spent on food. We spent approximately $250 on other things.

We just spent $1500 in GC on a 5 night 4 day trip. We visited FWF, ate three table service meals (with 20% AP discount) and one visit to Nomad Lounge (for lunch). Most of that money was spent on food. We spent approximately $250 on other things.
Jeepers that's a lot of money on food, for such a short trip!
We go in 30 days and dreading food costs, we normally always stay onsite with free ddp, but this year my mum is coming so 6 of us and Xmas was too expensive with no free dining. So we're off site and will have at least 6 table service, and around 10 qs on our trip.

Jeepers that's a lot of money on food, for such a short trip!
We go in 30 days and dreading food costs, we normally always stay onsite with free ddp, but this year my mum is coming so 6 of us and Xmas was too expensive with no free dining. So we're off site and will have at least 6 table service, and around 10 qs on our trip.

It averages to $250/night or $62.50 per night per person and includes alcohol for me and DH (more than one drink per day). Hey, that’s cheaper than the dining plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter