AP, AAA, or DVC Points?

fightinfire21

Mouseketeer
I am thinking about planing a trip in December of this year. I would like to arrive on Sunday December 4, 2005 and check out on Thursday December 15,2005, so 11 nights total. My first choice resort is The Polynesian. My choice after that would be either Boardwalk or Yacht and Beach Clubs. I would like to find out what other peoples experiences are with AP discounts at this time of the year and AAA discounts at this time of the year. Stuff like how much are they typically and when are they released? I am up between booking Poly with an AP or an AAA discount or renting DVC points for Boardwalk Villas or Beach Club villas (would need 152 points for a preferred view studio for that period of time and @ $10 per point that would be less than $140/night). Hope someone out there has some December Discount experience and can help me :)

I'm planning to be at WDW Dec. 4-7. A couple of months ago I was able to get a AAA rate at POR for $119, but ended up cancelling it when I bought DVC. If you plan to go the DVC route, plan it soon at that week is VERY popular for DVC so rent points/book soon.

As far as AP rates, they weren't released until the end of Aug. last year for Dec. 2004!!!

HTH!!!! :teeth:

travelin' tigger said:
I'm planning to be at WDW Dec. 4-7. If you plan to go the DVC route, plan it soon at that week is VERY popular for DVC so rent points/book soon.

Does that mean the chances of getting an AP code for VWL is slim to none? Or any DVC property for that matter?

ccgegg said:
Does that mean the chances of getting an AP code for VWL is slim to none? Or any DVC property for that matter?

You will probably find AP codes for WL, but I don't believe DVC has AP codes - although I could be wrong since I just became a DVC member this month.

I used a general code for a 1br villa at SSR this past Feb. We are hoping to do a 1br villa again-- only this time at VWL. Do the AP codes exclude the DVC villas? (to clarify, I am not a DVC owner. You can book Home Away From Home properties even if you're not a DVC owner)

if they have availability then yes the DVC resorts can have the AP discount.

however renting points from a DVC member is still your best choice to saving money.

remember no housekeeping on points!

you can have it - but it cost extra!

Dec 1 -14 is very, very popular with DVC members - so I would ask right now - don't be too disappoint if you get told no availability.

however I would think twice about renting weekend points (fri/sat) they are that much more expensive.

As far as Poly goes what kind of AP rate do you think I could get there? I see that deluxes have a $100 flat off of rack rates going on right now. If it were the same in December that would pull Decembers value season rate for a garden view of $309 down to $209. Can I expect a discount that high in December or should I expect lower/higher or what?

fightinfire21 said:
Can I expect a discount that high in December or should I expect lower/higher or what?

Unfortunately, AP rates are not guaranteed, but a perk that Disney will offer if they need to fill rooms during that season.

Here's what mousesavers says:
Annual Passholder rates for the Walt Disney World resort hotels are often the best discounts available -- up to 45% off. For the past several years, Annual Passholder rates have been available for most of the year, but Annual Passholder rates are NOT always offered and frequently are not offered during peak holiday periods.

HTH!!! :teeth:

I understand that they are not always guarnteed and usually not available for holiday seasons but according to everything I have read the weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas, which is when I am planning on going, are some of the slowest of the entire year. That's why I am kinda hoping for a nice discount :teeth:

fightinfire21 said:
I understand that they are not always guarnteed and usually not available for holiday seasons but according to everything I have read the weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas, which is when I am planning on going, are some of the slowest of the entire year. That's why I am kinda hoping for a nice discount :teeth:

I'm hoping also, especially if it's 45% off rack rate!!!! :cool1:

fightinfire21 said:
It's true that the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are a lower time for the parks (and for the non-DVC resorts). However, it is a very, very popular time for DVC members to stay - the first two weeks of December often book up 10 or 11 months ahead of time. There are some rooms available for cash during that time, but not very many. If AP discounts are offered during that time, they are very limited - especially at VWL, BCV & the BWV. You may be able to snag a discount at OKW or SSR (OKW is larger resort and SSR still has unsold inventory that the developer rents for cash).

Your best bet for a discount is at one of the non-DVC resorts. Keep in mind that weekends are popular with locals - they come to see the decorations, the CP, the Osborne Lights and MVMCP. If you have specific dates, you may want to book soon at a place you'd stay even without a discount. Then you can change to a discounted rate if one comes out later .

Good luck - it's a great time to go. We go every year in early December and just love it.

Best wishes -

spiceycat said:
however renting points from a DVC member is still your best choice to saving money.

For our Feb '05 trip to SSR, I got a better rate with a general code than I would have renting DVC points. (Ditto for OKW) Then you also have the cancellation factor. From what I understand, renting DVC pts makes cancellation basically out of the question, whereas using a code and booking through CRO gives us the standard cancellation policy-- a big plus when travelling with 2 little ones in winter months.

depends upon who you are renting from.

I allowed cancellation - just as long as it not in the last 30 days.

OKW studio value season rents for $259 with the 45% off - it is $142.45 -

sun-thurs nights (checking out fri) - you can get it from a DVC member for $80.

here is the price chart from WDW is you don't believe me

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/resortRates?id=OldKeyWestResortRatesListingPage

as I stated this does not include weekend - weekend are silly... I try to encourage people to stay elsewhere for the weekend. Or rent directly from CRO and then link the reservations.

but I am so cheap I stay in Pop Century for the weekends.... :banana: :teeth:

I agree renting or using points on Friday or Saturday nights don't seem worthwhile- they are sometimes 2x as much as a Sun-Thurs night rate.

We rented points a few years back in OKW and had a very nice stay- but we did say we should have stayed somewhere else for the Fri & Sat night. We have also stayed at Vero Beach using a coupon for a 1 BR Villa and it was wonderful~ biggest difference we saw between renting and paying for the room was the maid service~ LOVED our maid~ she made the Mickey & Minnie heads out of towels and even bought our DD a Minnie toy on the last day of our stay :) As a DVC member or if you rent point, there is no maid service~ but you get the DVC member perks, so it might even itself out.

If you are curious on AP rates and resorts that in the past have offered them you can check:

http://www.magicalmemoriestravel.com/HistoricalRates.html

We have a AAA room only rate for deluxe mid-Dec $249 (before taxes). Rack was $294.

Princess Mommy said:
I agree renting or using points on Friday or Saturday nights don't seem worthwhile- -biggest difference we saw between renting and paying for the room was the maid service~ LOVED our maid~ she made the Mickey & Minnie heads out of towels and even bought our DD a Minnie toy on the last day of our stay :) As a DVC member or if you rent point, there is no maid service~ but you get the DVC member perks, so it might even itself out.

What DVC perks are you referring to? I'm renting points for May at BWV and am very happy with the deal I got. I don't plan to ask the owner for anything else, but I am curious as to what perks might be available if I rent again later. I'm an AP holder and have the DDE card, so probably wouldn't need the DVC perks anyway, but am curious. Thanks!

if you ID (room key) says DVC member - then you might get some other perks -

20% off most of the dinning at D/S

10% off other dinning - if you want the list I can transfer it.

be aware that some of these places now require the DVC blue member card to get the discount.

Pool hopping if you aren't going during a no-pool hopping time. You can't EVER pool hop to AKL or SALB (big pool at BC/YC/BCV)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter