• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AoA or Poly?

EdotRoth

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney for the first time as a family. We have 3 kids (they will be 13, 9 and 6 at the time of travel). I am looking at AoA and Poly - will Poly be too crowded with a family of 5? Any advice?

Even with 5, I would do Poly over AoA. The higher level of amenities and location of Poly completely outweighs the extra space you would have at AoA, IMHO. AoA was the loudest, most uncomfortable resort I've ever stayed in.

I mean I haven't stayed at either AoA or Poly but I've stayed at other deluxe resorts. Even if it's a bit of a squeeze, I cannot imagine picking AoA over Poly, considering the convenience of location and the resort amenities at Poly. The only instance where I can see choosing AoA is if you had little kids who might not sleep through the night and you don't want them disturbing each other. But your kids are old enough where that isn't an issue. Maybe look into renting DVC points for Poly if you go that route - you'd get a kitchenette out of the deal that way and save a little money to boot.

I would suggest DVC rooms at the POLY if you decide on that resort while the sleeping area is a little smaller it has a second shower. But be warned the dresser is under the bed and a table/chest near the pull out coach but there are a lot of draws in the second shower that can be used. I did not find the room small when we had 2 adults a 17 and 11. Can not speak for AoA as we have never stayed there.

Polynesian, all the way. Our very first Disney trip in 2014 was to AoA with 3 kids, while the themed rooms along with a separate bedroom/bathroom for the adults, Poly just feels better in all aspects. The volcano pool, splash ground for your 6 year old, food options, proximity to the TTC and ease of access to MK make it the best choice for experience. If I were you, I would try to rent DVC points and stay in a DVC studio. They have a full bath plus a second bath-ish as well call it with a sink and shower. It is one of our favorite resorts if not our most favorite.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say AoA family suites. My kids are 14/12/6 and if we had to get ready in one bathroom, or take turns in one bathroom after getting back from the pool, etc...we'd last maybe one night. We're actually going to stay at a 1 bedroom at AKV this summer, which has two bathrooms, and with the summer Disney+ deal isn't much more than the AoA suites, but if I had to choose between AoA and Poly, I'd absolutely choose AoA with two separate sleeping spaces and two bathrooms for our family of five. I actually stayed in the regular rooms at AoA with my two older girls 4 years ago and we loved it...much more than Pop, our other value resort experience.

Each has it’s pros and cons. As far as rooms go, I would say AoA may be more convenient, it has a separate bedroom and bathroom a definite plus for a family of five. I love the big blue pool, the skyliner access to Epcot and HS, the quick service is loud but has good food offerings. Poly as a resort is one of the best at Disney. The ambience, proximity to MK and Epcot via monorail and food options are great. However, the rooms can feel cramped for a family of five. I love the Poly but when it comes down to relaxing after a long park day I like having my own room, AoA for the win :)

There are two levels of convenience here: Poly for access to MK and Epcot, and AoA for having two bathrooms (and sleeping areas). I would strongly recommend the convenience of AoA, especially as you have 5 in your family. As someone else pointed out, it would save lots of time getting ready for the day, not to mention the usefulness of the extra bathroom in case two of you "need to go" at the same time.

Avoid AofA--it is basically a Motel 6!
Don't listen to this.

If they were younger, I'd say AoA all the way as you get full Disney emersion and plenty of room in the AoA family suite. The QS dining is also one of the best on property. With them being a bit older, they'll probably enjoy Poly more and appreciate the views and ability to watch the fireworks every night.

As a family of 5, kids 11,10,8 poly is a no brainer for us, granted I've never been to the other resort. If you can rent dvc points you'll save a bunch of $ as well

AoA with that crowd. I think 2 bathrooms and 2 sleeping areas totally wins. I also think they are young enough to appreciate the theming at AoA over Poly. To me, none of the amenities of a deluxe can outweigh the three beds, 2 full bath, better refrigerator, size, for that group.

Can you have a noisy neighbor? Sure. But my second worst sleeping night was at AKL due to an obnoxious neighbor. So - the quiet level is unpredictable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter