• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anywhere that sings (or just makes a big deal..) for a birthday?

Liberty tree tavern and BOG both put a candle in my daughter’s dessert. I don’t remember them singing or anything tho. Hoop Dee Doo does recognize people whose birthdays are that day in their show. Several places put confetti on table and brought cupcakes.

I want to say I've heard the servers at Chefs de France sing to guests in French on multiple occasions. My birthday is on Christmas Eve, so my parents used to always take me the week before Christmas (since we had family obligations on my actual birthday). A lot of restaurants would do the confetti on the table and a signed birthday card. I know Nine Dragons used to. We've had confetti on our table at CRT and we got huge cupcakes from the Plaza and Mama Melrose.

People always say the Hoop Dee Doo is fun for celebrations because they will call out celebrations during the show. I've only been once and I was too young to remember, but we are going in 10 days for our rehearsal dinner.

I would ask for id to confirm dob if I was a suspicious server,lol.
Seriously though-I can not understand ; are the parents aiding their daughters deception or are they the founders of the birthday lie?!?

I'd ask for ID if it got bad enough, too lol!

Oh, her parents think it's cute. She's the only one in the family that does it. I'm pretty sure she just thought of it on her own. :upsidedow

What about something like Teppan Edo in the Japan Pavilion? Or California Grill at the Contemporary Resort?

I had the experience of a life time when I was in 8th grade and got to eat at Club 33 in Disneyland with my parents, of course I had to sit through a whole dining Etiquette course first but that's another subject lol.

We have done Teppan, but never Cali - definitely an option! Thank you!!

And, I am sorry - I shouldn't have said singing - more like singling him out. Even by having confetti. He just likes attention. He sure did not get it from me, the hermit-introvert mom...

Thanks, all - rethinking my course now. I wouldn't mind a fancier dinner, either, and he has shown interest, lately, in higher-end food (or at least, expanding his palate..)...

Maybe Yachtsman?

As others have said, WCC and 50's are probably your best bet for funny, schticky birthday stuff, there's just no guarantee. WCC is my DS10's favorite restaurant and even without a birthday shout-out, they can do some pretty wacky stuff there (huge tablecloth as a bib, running around with ketchup, etc.). I'd honestly be shocked if they didn't do something.

HDDR is pretty much a guaranteed bet that your birthday will be acknowledged very publicly by the cast!

In terms of signatures, again, no guarantee, but they recognized my birthday at Cali Grill about two years ago. My DH mentioned my birthday when we checked in at the podium. By the time we were whisked up in the elevator, they had sprinkled confetti on our table and wrote Happy Birthday on my dessert dish. I would highly recommend Cali Grill if he is thinking of a fancier meal for dinner. The food and service are good and the view is unbelievable. You can see the MK, DHS and EP fireworks from the observation decks. It's such a great venue for a special occasion.

Please take no offense, but I really hope that no restaurant in Disney does the Red Robin type of celebration. While it might be fun for the one, I find it very annoying, loud and rude when I'm trying to enjoy my meal. I could see this totally getting out of hand at Disney too.

The good news for you is that Disney already offers a host of ways to celebrate a birthday. Here is a good list of ways;
https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/planning-a-birthday-celebration-at-walt-disney-world/
Haven't read all the other posts so maybe it's been mentioned but there is one that does. Chef Mickey's. Not birthday's alone mind you but anyone celebrating is given a yellow napkin and during the song that is sung during the meal, and while the napkins are waved, those the yellow napkins are acknowledged as having a celebration. This is the only one I know of that does a confirmed acknowledgement of celebrations at every meal.

We were at Crystal Palace a few years ago but we had ordered a cake separately for my sister. When the server bought it out he sung and made a big deal of it. It was very nice. But I'll reiterate that we had ordered a separate cake ahead of time so that was probably the reason for the pomp.

It's really going to be the luck of the draw at most places. We had DS's 2nd bday noted on our reservations and none of the 12 restaurants we went to acknowledged it in any way. We weren't expecting anything so it didn't matter to us, but for an older kid who knows they are celebrating their bday and expecting something could get disappointed.

My son just turned 14 while we were in WDW. We attended Early morning Magic at MK. During breakfast at Pinocchio’s, all the wait staff sang a cheer (similar to Applebee’s) for a group of children celebrating their birthdays. Afterwards, each child was given a mini chocolate “birthday” cake. It was really fun and unexpected.

That evening we celebrated at Ohana. They called all birthday guests to the dance floor where they sang happy birthday in Hawaiian.

Just wearing the birthday button made his day so special. He got an extra ride on Buzz, cotton candy at the confectionery etc... it was all unexpected and very appreciated.

Re: Yacthman's Haven't been there yet but have an ADR for this July and think our party will enjoy it. It'll replace our regular Boathouse ressie which our 12.5 y/o DGD loves eating at. A table in the patio adds to the overall ambience (you overlook the lake and can watch the balloon go up and down).
We anticipate Yachtsman's to be relaxing, nice eats, and with an ambiance in keeping w/ the Epcot hotels' area.

Currently DGD's fav "adult type" restaurant is Tokyo Dining. I think on a certain level Teppan Edo is better suited for families with younger children. She confirmed my thinking when we looked in. As for TD...she likes the food (stole an extra clam from her DGF's miso soup), the atmosphere (she was a 'lil apprehensive (chopsticks?) at first but got over it and was impressed with the costumes of the staff, food and our window seat.

Another vote for Hoop Dee Doo! It's a fun show and they acknowledge all birthday and other celebrations! Its pricey but if you have big eaters its All You Care to Enjoy.

One further note about this. If you want your son to get "happy birthday" said to him about 100 times on his birthday, make sure you get a "It's my birthday" pin and have him wear it. You can get these pins at customer service at any park, or at the front desk of your hotel.

I also think most CM's in restaurants use the pin as a way to tell if your son is really interested in having a fuss made.

My daughter had a rousing restaurant sing a long of Happy Birthday at 50s Prime Time. At Ale & Compass, we had a very attentive and sweet waiter, who quietly sang happy birthday all by himself to my daughter... very sweet and respectful of other diners.

They certainly don't count as 'nicer' meals, but Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex always seem to do the big song and dance thing for birthdays. My 5-year old always requests T-Rex for his birthday dinner (much to my horror, I can't stand the place!) and they always come over and sing. Those restaurants are so loud and crazy, a bunch of servers singing really isn't any more bothersome. They've always asked about bringing a dessert with a candle in, but he's an oddball and hates anything sweet or sugary - so the last two years he's gotten a candle in a pot of applesauce! I'm guessing they'd do the same for a cupcake if asked.

We are surprising my sons with a trip in June to celebrate the older one turning 14. I would love to snag a dinner somewhere they will sing to him, or something along the lines of making a spectacle of him. He will love it.

Any ideas? We are open to any park/resort/area.

We celebrated my daughter's birthday @ the Wilderness Lodge's Whispering Canyon's restaurant. It was a hoot! They brought her out a sundae & had her stand in a chair (she was 5), sang happy birthday to her & then right after she blew out the candle they (the wait staff) all whipped out spoons & took big bites of her sundae! The look on her face was priceless! She didn't cry she was just shocked. I didn't know they were going to do this. They of course brought her another sundae & made a big deal over her the rest of the time we were there, each of them blaming the other one saying it was their idea.

Now, Whispering Canyons is known for it's "high jinks". If something like this would work with your son's personality it is really fun.

We are surprising my sons with a trip in June to celebrate the older one turning 14. I would love to snag a dinner somewhere they will sing to him, or something along the lines of making a spectacle of him. He will love it.

Any ideas? We are open to any park/resort/area.

We were at Beaches and Cream for DH's 50th birthday, and he was wearing the birthday button (I was too, because my 50th was a couple weeks later) The waitress brought out a cupcake for each of us, made an announcement and had the whole place sing happy birthday. She did ask ahead of time if it was okay to do that.

I want to say I've heard the servers at Chefs de France sing to guests in French on multiple occasions. My birthday is on Christmas Eve, so my parents used to always take me the week before Christmas (since we had family obligations on my actual birthday). A lot of restaurants would do the confetti on the table and a signed birthday card. I know Nine Dragons used to. We've had confetti on our table at CRT and we got huge cupcakes from the Plaza and Mama Melrose.

People always say the Hoop Dee Doo is fun for celebrations because they will call out celebrations during the show. I've only been once and I was too young to remember, but we are going in 10 days for our rehearsal dinner.

Yep! Chefs de France will sing. I'm sure my face looked like a beet when they sang to me for my birthday last December. I much prefer not having people sing. My kids, however, LOVE it when people sing Happy Birthday to them.

Trail's End. They sing for you, usually bring out some kind of dessert for the birthday person.

I just wanted to share my experience from a recent trip where we celebrated my son's 4th birthday. I called Disney Dining and asked them to add a note to our five reservations that we were celebrating (and yes, five felt like overkill, but it was his last trip as an only child, so we wanted to make it really special). We know not to expect anything, but it doesn't hurt to ask them to add a note.

-Beaches & Cream - they flashed the lights (like they do when you order a Kitchen Sink) and announced it was his birthday when they brought him his dessert. There were also a few other people celebrating birthdays who also ordered a Kitchen Sink, so they also announced their birthdays when doing the whole Kitchen Sink spiel.

-Tusker House - the server brought out a cupcake and card signed by the characters (this has been consistent for us, as we have gone there to celebrate every birthday he's had so far).

-Sci-Fi - the server brought a cupcake (in addition to his included kids meal dessert) and a card signed by all of the restaurant cast members.

-Skipper Canteen - nothing

-Restaurant Marrakesh - this one was the best. The servers all came out clapping and sang happy birthday in their native language, put one of their fezzes on his head and gave him ice cream with a candle. It was very short and sweet, and the restaurant only had a couple of other tables, so it wasn't bothering anyone either.

A cast member also saw his birthday button at Satu'li Canteen and gave him a free cupcake, and Mickey sang happy birthday to him at the character meet at Town Square Theater.

We’re also planning a birthday and was really hoping for a birthday song on,y because it’s a birthday tradition and doesn’t feel right not singing with the cake. In the end we ended up going with DDs favourite Chef Mickeys glad to read the above about the yellow napkins hadn’t heard that before. If you’re son is really looking to be centre of attention definitely go with whispering canyon just google it and watch the birthday videos I’m sure it’s what you’re looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter