Anyone's kids never get sick?

m&m's mom

<font color=deeppink>Waiting for the waterless cru
I read all these things here and on Facebook about people's kids being sick and keeping them up etc. I have absolutely no experience with this. Both DD's have never had a non-well visit or missed a single day of school due to illness. Oldest DD is going into the 9th grade and youngest is going into 6th.
Once a year or so one of the girls will come home from school with a sniffle. I give them zinc lozenges to suck on and not one time has it resulted in a full blown cold.
Both girls were sleeping through the night almost as soon as we came home from the hospital so missed no sleep there either. Lol!
My guess is the little tikes knew I get really grumpy if I miss any sleep so -they decided to take care of themselves. :lmao:
Ironically oldest DD was born at 1 pound and I was warned she would be immune-compromised and would always be MORE susceptible to illnesses. Guess they got that one wrong.
Seriously though, All of my friends and neighbors think this is bizarre. When H1N1 was going around at school they purposely put the sneezing, coughing, hacking kid next to DD and sure enough she did it get it. Ever kid that my kids hang around with in the neighborhood were transferring H1N1 and colds and other flus back and forth and the girls got nothing.
Can anyone think of some way this can be bad? It's great, but it makes me nervous.

My kids are more than making up for yours. They were home sick more days in February than they were in school. Sinus infections, strep throat, pinkeye, and every stomach bug known to man. :(

I read all these things here and on Facebook about people's kids being sick and keeping them up etc. I have absolutely no experience with this. Both DD's have never had a non-well visit or missed a single day of school due to illness. Oldest DD is going into the 9th grade and youngest is going into 6th.
Once a year or so one of the girls will come home from school with a sniffle. I give them zinc lozenges to suck on and not one time has it resulted in a full blown cold.
Both girls were sleeping through the night almost as soon as we came home from the hospital so missed no sleep there either. Lol!
My guess is the little tikes knew I get really grumpy if I miss any sleep so -they decided to take care of themselves. :lmao:
Ironically oldest DD was born at 1 pound and I was warned she would be immune-compromised and would always be MORE susceptible to illnesses. Guess they got that one wrong.
Seriously though, All of my friends and neighbors think this is bizarre. When H1N1 was going around at school they purposely put the sneezing, coughing, hacking kid next to DD and sure enough she did it get it. Ever kid that my kids hang around with in the neighborhood were transferring H1N1 and colds and other flus back and forth and the girls got nothing.
Can anyone think of some way this can be bad? It's great, but it makes me nervous.

:eek:

As for my kids.

DS11 usually gets one illness a year, typically late winter. It's never bad enough to go to the doctor, and I can't remember the last time he needed an antibiotic, but he'll hang on to a low-grade fever or mild stomach bug for about a week. Beyond that, he has seasonal allergies we treat with prescription meds in the spring. The rest of the year, he's good to go.

DD14 was my "never sick" kid. She would miss maybe one day of school every year or two. Always mild symptoms, but just bad enough that I didn't feel right sending her in. I can't remember the last antibiotic for her either.
But, in the last 10 months, she has had more doctor appointments than the prior ten years put together for an eye disease. Not the type of illness you were talking about, but she is missing a lot more school days than she was used to and she is getting very tired of doctor appointments.

Be thankful, I do think it's pretty rare to have kids who "never get sick."

My 15 yo son rarely gets sick, I can probably count on one hand how many times he has had a cold or sore throat. He doesn't usually miss school for being sick either. My husband is the same way, no me on the other hand, I get sick at the drop of a hat. DH and DS were directly exposed to me and streo and neither got a thing. I always attributed it to a good immune system on their part.

Well....

My kids were in daycare very early so they caught EVERYTHING. Everything. Now that they are older (high school and college) they rarely get sick. In fact, my 10th grade son did not miss one day of school last year. My DD did get really sick the winter she was away at college, as did most of the people in her dorm.

As far as if it's a bad thing--I only know this about colds, I don't think it applies to the flu.

Everyone has the ability to catch a cold. It doesn't matter how healthy you are or how well you are taking care of yourself. If that cold virus enters your nose and you have never been exposed to it--YOU WILL GET IT. The way the body responds to that cold is a different matter. What I read which surprised me was that the "healthiest" people with the strongest immune systems had the strongest response to a cold (worse congestion/sneezing/coughing). Those who were found to be weakened and weaker responses. The reason for that is that when that cold invades your body, the immune system sends these specific cells to your nose, bronchial area, etc (wherever the cold reside). Those cells are what cause the symptoms in their attempt to get rid of it. If your body doesn't send many defenders you get mild symptoms.

Not sure what that tells you but that all made ME feel better when my cold lasted 18 days!

My DD gets sick... bad. There has only been 1 situation where it was a little cough.. all others are into full blown 2 wk illnesses.

I have NO idea how I can help her or her immune system.. I know she had poor in-utero nutrition so I don't know if that plays into this..

Mike got his first cold at 16, it blew his MIND!

Last year he got his first ear infection, then two more in 6 months. Turns out he developed an allergy to the mold in our basement. We moved and he hasn't gotten another one YET.

He spent most of his young life totally ill free. I called him Typhoid Mike because he'd show no symptoms but brought home every strep, pinkeye and cold from his classmates home to ME! I had every childhood illness you can imagine in my 40s!

And he's been in some form of daycare since he was 6 weeks old. Our doctor says he has an amazing immune system, one that was broken a bit when he was 16. He's 18 now and nothing is more pitiful than a child who is not used to being sick... being SICK. :sick: Ugh! :rolleyes1

I was the same way as a child, our family physician barely new me! I caught my first cold in my 30s and yes, it blew my mind!! I wish I was like that now in my 50s, seems like I find something breaking down every year! :lmao:

DH is like this. He never understands how miserable it is to have a bad cold. So far, DD is taking after her dad. However, DS is following in my footsteps. If I sniffle, I know he'll be right behind me in a couple of days.

DS hardly ever gets sick. He seemed to always have "Outstanding Attendance" or "Perfect Attendance" awards through elementary school.
They didn't award them in middle school though but I'm sure he would have gotten them there as well. He's overall pretty healthy, My dds weren't completely healthy, but I don't recall any major illnesses over the years for them other than colds or strep. I guess we're fairly lucky in our house.

My kids hardly ever get sick. I think we've had 2 sick visits to the pediatrician in my son's 17 years. My 17 year old is prone to stress headaches, so he misses about 3 or 4 days of school a year. My 12 year old has only missed school a few days in the past few years, and other than when he fractured his wrist, the rest were not illness related.

I have always counted us lucky in that respect, they have never missed any planned trips, vacations or parties due to an illness. Never had to spend a day in the hotel room for one of the boys (though there have been days my DH or I had to take the kids out alone because the other one of us was under the weather).

My DS16 had always been extremely healthy. He had pneumonia once at age 4, but besides that, was rarely sick and never missed school. He barely gets colds, and has only had the stomach bug maybe twice in his entire life. My DS12...sick all the time. Allergies, asthma, eczema...colds, stomach bugs, etc.
DS12 was always jealous of DS16's health, often wondering why his brother didn't get sick instead of him ("why am I always sick???")

Until, this winter, DS16 was diagnosed with Lyme Disease. :sad2: We don't know when he contracted it, but blood tests revealed that it was in his system for a long time. He now has a lot of joint issues. Since February, he has been in and out of PT for his knees and now his elbows. We are at the doctor all the time with him (either the PCP, the orthopedic, or physical therapy).

I guess my point is that you just never know. Embrace your kids' health...there may be a point in time that they are, unfortunately, not healthy anymore. In our case, I have a feeling that my DS16 is in for a lifetime of joint issues. Not good.

My son was in the doctors office every 2 weeks when he was a baby. He was always sick, usually with ear infections. When he was 18m, he had tubes put in his ears. He started talking much better. Ear infections stopped but sore throats started which eventually turned into tonsillitis. At 3yr, I went over the doctor and took him to an ENT and he was in surgery 3 days later getting his tonsils and adenoids out.

Since then, he is rarely sick. I can probably count on one hand the times he has been.

Yikes, Coral, time flies!!! :faint:

Hope the M's keep up their good record of health!!! :thumbsup2

I know Dan. Can you believe it? Megan is 15 and Miranda is about to be 12. You first saw Miranda when she was just a baby and Megan was about to turn 3.

My DH and I have a theory on why the no illnesses.
We have always had animals (dog and a couple of cats) in the house. I read a couple of years ago that babies that were exposed to animals in the house were much less likely to have allergies. Basically the exposure built up an immunity.
Also, both DD's were in daycare early. Oldest DD from age 2-4 and youngest DD 3 mths to 2 years old. I think that helped build up their immunity as they never got sick in daycare either.

I am going to take 15 yo DD to get a well visit and have him run blood tests. I just have this horrible feeling it has been too easy and one of the girls will come down with something bizarre. It basically is $500 for my peace of mind.

My kids have had all of the regular childhood illnesses, and when they were under 5, were sick from birth - age 5. However, I rarely took them to the doctor, since they were mostly virus's. Once they went to elementary school, they rarely got sick, because they were done. I hope that all of those illnesses built up their immune system, making it stronger, so if they catch something serious, their bodies will be able to fight it.

Lucky you! My kids are pretty healthy, but we've had the typical illnesses over the years. My middle boy, if he gets a stomach bug, look out! Once he threw up 16 times in about 6 hours, in the middle of the night :scared1: They've had high fevers that lasted several days, croup, ear infections,bronchitis, etc. Even with all that, it is rare that they are sick.

What kind of heat and cooling system do you have? Do you live in a newer house? What do your kids eat? Are you a sickly person and did you nurse? These could all be contributing factors. I know what you mean while it is good you think that when the other shoe falls it is going to fall hard!

Lucky you! My kids are pretty healthy, but we've had the typical illnesses over the years. My middle boy, if he gets a stomach bug, look out! Once he threw up 16 times in about 6 hours, in the middle of the night :scared1: They've had high fevers that lasted several days, croup, ear infections,bronchitis, etc. Even with all that, it is rare that they are sick.

Typical stuff but I think the op means her kids have had NONE of that and while that is kind of bizarre in a good way it's too bad she cannot pin point what it is she is doing and tell others because even though your kids and mine had typical stuff all the things you listed could blossom into more severe problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter