Anyone worry about having your child's name on the Guest of Honor Badges?

MichelleC

Mouseketeer
Know what I mean? Saftey experts say not to have your child's name visible on clothing, backpacks, etc. It makes it easier for a stranger to appear to "know" them and lure them away.

But, it sounds so cool to have your child called by name by the CMs and such at WDW.

Any concerns?

Thanks!

Michelle

Doesn't bother me--she's 2 1/2 and won't come when I call her so I'm sure having a stranger call her wouldn't move her!

A 5 or 6 year old may be a different thing, though.

Looks like we'll be there at the same time! I'll look for a 2 1/2 uyear old runing away from her mom! She can run with mine! LOL!!

Have fun!!

I didn't worry about the safety issue. My kids were called by there names several times by friendly CM's and face characters. It can be a nice touch.

I am one of "those" parents who won't let my child get a GOH badge, but then again they have never asked. You also won't see them wearing "mouse ears" with their names on them either.

Sorry I would much rather play it safe. A missing child will take away any magic that you or she may have gotten from a CM calling them by name.

We ordered GOH badges for our kids and nephew prior to our trip in October. I am also very concerned about their safety, but did not feel that the badges compromised their safety at all. However, we also had a 1:1 ratio of adults and children, and never let a child go beyond arms length on an adult. It was always our rule that all three kids (4, 8, 9) had to hold a grown up's hand in any crowded situation (monorail station, MNSSHP). In less crowded areas, they had to be close enough to touch an adult, and be in the adult's line of vision (in front of, or right beside). They knew we were serious about these rules, and followed them.

The badges were great fun. It wasn't just that a CM called them by name, but that the CM engaged them in a conversation. They met many nice CM's that they otherwise would not. And this did add to their overall experience.

I ordered the GOH badges for my daughters, and when they came and I showed him my DH said "are you nuts"? He gave me all kinds of reasons why they shouldn't wear them but the kids and myself won out.

My kids are 3 and 4 and were never out of our sight for more than a nano-second. I worry about them becoming abducted all the time, to the point I don't sleep sometimes, but never felt they were in danger with us and wearing the badges in WDW.

When the princesses called my daughter by name, she was mesmorized... kept saying to me 'she knew my name, mommy'

I respect either opinion on this, however we were content with letting the girls wear their badges.

I did have that thought but decided to order the badges anyway. I know my DS8 will be right with us. Our DS2 needs to have a tight rope to keep him close, yet, he will shy away from strangers. Yes, I strugged with the idea of a stranger knowing his name but then I thought about the idea of him getting lost and shying away from a CM who was there to help him. I thought maybe it might help him feel a bit safer. We will be doing our best to keep a very close eye on him and using a stroller as much as possible so we know where he is.

I was going to get these, but then I realized they'd just mispronounce my daughter's name unless I changed the spelling. lol! It's been an ongoing minor squabble between dh and me. Her name is Mairyn (NOT Marilyn or Marion). It's pronounced Mair - in. I want to change it to Marin or Maren, but people would probably say Mar (like bar) in. Sometimes I wish we'd just call her by her middle name. My dh doesn't understand what it's like to have a name people can't spell (like mine) or pronounce (like dd) as he has one of those names that when the teacher called it 5 boys and 3 girls turned around. I'm not worried about it from a safety perspective because my kids will be with me.

I haven't ordered my girls their GOH badges (not sure where to order from?!), but if we don't get them ahead of time, I'll definitely get them one when we're there! I think they'll enjoy it, and we'll be very careful with my girls - actually, I have two teenagers and the little one, but they'll be fine.

Enjoy!

I had thought about this too and came to the realization that I will be calling her my name often enough. If someone wanted to know her name for bad purposes, they could just overhear me say it. She might as well have a GOH badge for the experience of having the CMs/characters call her by name.

I decided not to worry about it too much, at least at WDW where she will be with me the whole time.

Whatever your decision, have a great time!

Guess you just have to weigh the benefits. My daughter loved all the attention it garnered for her birthday at Disneyland. She had a wonderful experience although we only do this once a year.

I think especially if your not local that it is fine. You should still teach your child not to respond to stranger's who know their names. My daughter has been taught this. So far this is also what she practices. I understand your concern I am constantly aware of my daughter's safety because of the world we live in. 10 years ago a post like this would not even exsist but nowadays we hear about children being abducted and murdered everyday. It is sad.

I think we need to do the best we can as parents. I truly believe it would enhance your child's experience. I hope that there are not as many unsavory people at the parks as we have to deal with in day to day life but realisticly it could possibly serve as a tool for a cm to assist your child if your child should get lost. I myself never allow my child to wear personalized clothing or own anything with her name on it. Beyond that just relax and let your child have fun they are children for such a short time. Let him/her where their guest badge or personalized mickey hat or pirate hat. Disney is a place to have fun don't let the bad people of this world spoil this for you.

I am comfortable with DD having and wearing her badge, she is still riding in the stroller most of the time. I keep her in it during the crowded times, doing the run around time in the quieter areas where she is less likely to get in peoples way and can enjoy running free. I hope that as she gets older, I can teach her about the cast members having badges and what they look like, so that if she gets lost she can recognize where to look for help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter