• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone who has purchased a fridge or other major appliance recently...

Do NOT get a Samsung refrigerator! I love the layout of ours, but we have had nothing but problems with the condenser freezing up. We had to take everything out of the refrigerator every 3-4 months and unscrew the back and use a hair dryer to melt the ice build-up. Samsung was of no help and said it is normal to have to do that :confused: Our ice maker then started freezing up too so we just turned it off and magically the condenser stopped freezing up. So, that problem is fixed, but now we have no ice maker. My Dad has the same Samsung refrigerator and has not has condenser problems, but his ice maker repeatedly freezes up.

We do have a Samsung washer and Dryer that we haven't had issues with (knock on wood). For dishwashers, I recommend Bosch 100%!

Hating GE appliances with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns, we replaced a GE with an LG in 2021. We liked it a lot but only used it for a few months before we sold the house.

We bought one with the door-in-door feature. I didn't want to spend the extra money for it but I was overruled. :) It was kind of nice but certainly not a "must have."

My repairman told me years ago—"If Whirlpool corporation doesn't make it, don't buy it." Not because of brand loyalty or quality, but because the parts are cheaper and easy to get. He also claims they're easier to work on.

My repairman told me years ago—"If Whirlpool corporation doesn't make it, don't buy it." Not because of brand loyalty or quality, but because the parts are cheaper and easy to get. He also claims they're easier to work on.
::yes:: I can verify that this is true. Days or weeks for parts v.s. months or indefinite back-order for other makes.

Really weird suggestion. Take whatever empty and clean milk/juice/beverage jug you usually buy into a store with you and figure out what shelves it can go on, and how many you can fit in there. This might sound weird, but I have a family of 4, and can only put milk in 2 places in my fridge (in the door only) and it'll only hold 4 gallons. Add in coffee creamer and maybe a juice, and it's down to 3 gallons. That's not enough space for us since we try to grocery shop every 7-10 days. Since this is a disney board, and there's a reasonable chance you have kids, this is something to consider.
Great suggestion, thanks! I try to get away with shopping once per week and I tend to come home with a lot of food and drinks too

We just bought a side by side Kitchen Aid. Has handles and ice/water on the freezer door. This is actually pretty standard. Probably best to take a look at AJ Madison first and get an idea of all the various offerings. Then you can narrow things down. For us, size, side by side and water/ice dispenser were the must haves. That left very few options.
I don't have that store near me, and the last time I bought a fridge was at Sears 🤣

My options are Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, and Sam's Club. I've already checked out Home Depot and Sam's, I'm headed to Best Buy and Lowes tonight.

Simple advice - avoid as many “digital” features as possible (which require computer mother-boards) and for the love of God run from anything wifi enabled. I manage the warranty department for a home builder and we put 300+ sets of appliances a year into houses. The customers get to choose them and BAR NONE the biggest problems are with the wifi features. On the whole, the most reliable (and popular) mid-price brand is Whirlpool. They also make Maytag (equivalent level) and Amana on the low end, and Kitchen Aid and Jenn-Air on the high end.
Oh my goodness, is that why the Maytag and Whirlpool fridges I was looking at seemed like almost the same exact fridge?!

Do NOT get a Samsung refrigerator! I love the layout of ours, but we have had nothing but problems with the condenser freezing up. We had to take everything out of the refrigerator every 3-4 months and unscrew the back and use a hair dryer to melt the ice build-up. Samsung was of no help and said it is normal to have to do that :confused: Our ice maker then started freezing up too so we just turned it off and magically the condenser stopped freezing up. So, that problem is fixed, but now we have no ice maker. My Dad has the same Samsung refrigerator and has not has condenser problems, but his ice maker repeatedly freezes up.

We do have a Samsung washer and Dryer that we haven't had issues with (knock on wood). For dishwashers, I recommend Bosch 100%!
Samsung has finally acknowledged that this is a design flaw in the French Door models design, and they will now send someone to come out and replace the ice maker and some other parts, no charge to you. (I've also got one that did this.) Have the model and serial number ready, and it often takes a long time on hold.

::yes:: I can verify that this is true. Days or weeks for parts v.s. months or indefinite back-order for other makes.

A friend of mine waited two months for a stupid sensor for her Samsung refrigerator. It would set off the temperature alarm every night around 2 a.m. Took months to fix.

They ended up dumping it the next year because something else went out on it.

Size doesn't matter because the fridge breaking has forced me to do some renovation to the kitchen so I'll be able to accommodate literally anything. I'm more worried about features because there's a lot of new stuff in the world of refrigerators now.

Keep it simple. The less "features" the better.

For fridge, I maximize on interior space. You can never have too much fridge and freezer space.

I'd look for a smudge proof exterior.

I need 2 things: a filtered water dispenser and an ice dispenser

Nothing else matters, although I actually love my Samsung side by side fridge and its little half door that lets me grab a drink or condiments from the door without opening the main door. And my Samsung fridge has been nearly trouble free for 8 years. Has only needed a minor $75 repair that was in no way a hassle.

My suggestion is to avoid Samsung and LG. My LG died in 3 years - piece of junk. I was so annoyed, as it wasn't cheap. Most repair shops wouldn't touch it - parts were too hard to get and could be 6+ months delay. They recommended I avoid both brands. I'm sure you'll hear from many who love theirs and have no problem - but just google it and you'll see what I'm talking about. :crazy2:
Yes, avoid a Samsung. They have a known problem with internal water leakage.

My suggestion is to avoid Samsung and LG. My LG died in 3 years - piece of junk. I was so annoyed, as it wasn't cheap. Most repair shops wouldn't touch it - parts were too hard to get and could be 6+ months delay. They recommended I avoid both brands. I'm sure you'll hear from many who love theirs and have no problem - but just google it and you'll see what I'm talking about. :crazy2:
I researched a bit before buying our Samsung fridge and range. It has been a couple of years and no issues. We purchased the extended warranty on all of the appliances.

We had a Whirlpool in our last house and it worked fine until we moved. No issues.

What do you regret about your choice? I haven't purchased a new fridge in more than a decade and a lot has changed with them. Alternatively, is there some feature that you really like and can't live without?
Yes, we needed it to be cheap and keep food cold in a summer cottage…… it does both of those….

maybe take a trip to Lowe’s of Best Buy. The really cool features tend to be kinda spendy, and the novelty wears off quickly

An ice maker and water dispenser. If you don’t have a separate wine fridge, then a wine rack and make sure that a wine bottle can stand upright in the door. Also, make sure that all the drawers and shelves pull out easily for cleaning.

We love our GE French door. It’s 23 cubic feet, plenty of room for our needs. The ice maker is a workhorse and I love the digital temperature control.

We moved into a new construction home in January that came with allllllll Samsung appliances. We love our samsung phones, but the appliances, not so much. The dishwasher has the strangest design, lowest capacity, and most cumbersome loading of any we've used. The oven is moody and temperamental, the same food items cooked at the same exact temperature for the same set time will be overdone one day and underdone the next. The fridge is okay, so far, but could use more storage space. Since it's been less than a year we're not looking to replace them all yet, BUT on the other hand I don't see them having much longevity, the next ones we buy will not be samsung.

What do you regret about your choice?
I hate the bottom drawer freezer! Having a second freezer in the basement is the only thing that has saved me. Stuff gets buried under other stuff and forgotten, and I feel like it takes up more of the overall capacity than the old top freezers did, reducing how much fridge space I have as well. 🙁

Alternatively, is there some feature that you really like and can't live without?
I love filtered water in the door! (We don't have ice, just water.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter