• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone use a toddler bed rail for their camper bunks?

mouseketeer_mom

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone has used bed rail for a toddler. The bunks are surrounded on three sides but a restless toddler could still roll. Even on the bottom bunk, it could be an upsetting middle of the night tumble..

Anyone ever used a bed rail? Can you make a recommendation as to which ones might actually fit a camper bunk? (the bed is not a true twin nor is the mattress as thick)

It should work, I'd think. I have seen pictures were someone cut a piece of plywood to the shape of a rail and then attached it to the wood under the mattress with a couple of hinges. That way the rail can be raised up when needed and fold down under the mattress when not.

If the mattress is not heavy enough to hold a standard rail, you might be able to drill a couple of holes in it and screw it to the wood under the mattress.

I used one in the cabin bunk.
It actually did not work very well at all.
How does your LO normally get into bed? With our LO, we normally lift him in the bed and tuck him in. In the bunk, with the bed rail up- there was not enough clearance between the top of the rail and the top bunk to lift him in and he had to crawl in from the bottom. Not a huge deal- but a change in routine (which is a big deal for rigid toddlers!).

Another idea that I have not been able to successfully execute is to use a pool noodle. If you have a tight fitting fitted bottom sheet you can put a pool noodle under it and it acts as a small rail.

For one side of the camper, we have put in a permanent rail to reduce roll off. The other side is the slide in the the bunk folds up so we have a bungie cord system going on there which can be taken down. We have a 7 year old that is a roller. It seems to help.

yes,when we had our first Class A and the kids where young we used the bed rails all the time.They where easy to set up just sliding the base under the mattress,and the weight of the child held the rails firm.also worked great holding suitcases and other objects in place while underway.

WOW! Thanks for the responses. We have a camper with a bunk room so I am at least familiar with the layout and the beds but the question was actually for my sister that will be camping with a one year old in a rented camper at the Fort in February.

With a rented camper, screwing in the bed rail isn't an option. I remember doing it with DS (now 13) when he was 2. (we had a class A at the time and we used the fold down dinette with a bed rail and it worked great. I just can't find the same bed rail) Not sure if it makes a difference but my DS would sleeping in the same "room" but just needs the added security that her little one won't roll out.

Any other suggestions?

We had to screw ours to the wood since the mattress wasn't sturdy enough.

If yours is temporary, may I suggest a pool noodle? Take a fitted sheet, put the pool noodle under the sheet on the outside, and you now have a "bumper" to keep the toddler in. The bunks are small, so it will take up a little bit of room, but toddlers are small and its a cheap solution.

Ok. Rented camper=no screws. I see. What if you got a piece of plywood to put under the mattress, on top of the existing wood. Then screw the rail to that, if it won't stay in its own.

For ours we just use a Safety first bed rail that slides under the mattress and it works great for my 2.5 year old. Since the armoire is at the end of his bed in the middle of the room it covers 75% of the opening.

We have a 19bh travel trailer and a bed rail would not work in the space. So my husband used my 2 year olds old crib and cut it apart. So now my 1 and 2 year old are held in by crib rails that they were used to. We did have to put door hinges on the walls of the trailer and eye hooks as well but it is a price we were willing to pay because even from the bottom bunk it is a pretty far drop.

Our camper has a slide out in the bunk room area. We got the junior aerobed and put it on the floor for our littlest from ages 1-4. The aerobed has a raised edge. The blow up bed would probably only fit if the camper has a slide out. We had a foam wedge called a bedbug bumper for upper bunk. It went under the sheet. Just google it. Happy camping!

I wonder if a couple of rolled up yoga mats would do the trick, under the sheets?

/seriously, not trying to sound naughty here

We too used the Saftey 1st bed rails on both upper and lower bunks (my oldest was 4 when he started sleeping in the top bunk) There was only a tiny opening. About the size of the rail not extended. We duct taped that on to the wood underneath. Now granted this was for a kid that NEVER rolled around. But my almost 2 year old had one on the bottom bunk and it held him in and was all over the place.

We used them from age 6 through 10. IMO better then anything made for the Rvs. kids are older and don't camp with us and we use them to keep storage in the bunks. Store under mattress great.

For an older child a bed rail would probably be great. I guess their weight would hold it down under the lightweight mattress. They would leave it be. But my grandaughter who was just a baby (1 year now) was able to move the bed rail out of the mattress just enough to fall out. We were so lucky she wasn't seriously hurt. We didn't think she was big enough at the time to move it but she was. I sure wouldn't use it with her now either. I have also heard of babies and toddlers trying to climb over the rails or whatever and being seriously hurt either by the fall or their neck on the rail. We ended up letting her nap on mattress in the floor and used a pack and play from then on, or she slept between Mom and Dad in the big bed.

I'd try the pool noodle technique. You can always get the sheet clips to pull the sheet tighter on the bed. A lot of people on the pop up camping forums I frequent use the pool noodles to keep wiggly little ones in bed (and between older kids who have to share a bed...never would have thought of that one!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter