• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone up for a Gatlinburg trip in August?

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
My anniversary (35th- Yes, I'm only 34 years old... really. It was a prearranged marriage before we were born) is August 1st. I was planning on getting a condo on the beach somewhere in Florida, but the Gulf State Park trip should satisfy our beach need for this year.

With the new camper, I figured I'd look around for somewhere else to camp that we haven't been in a while. We spent part of our honeymoon in Gatlinburg and we haven't been there in about 10 years, so things started to fall into place.

A while back, someone mentioned a meet and greet in the Fall in Gatlinburg. I need to go before school starts back August 17th.

I'm planning on going down July 30th- August 6th. I'll probably be staying in Pigeon Forge. There are more RV Park options than Gatlinburg and I'm too long now to fit in any of the Smoky Mt Nat'l Park campgrounds. Considering Pine Mountain RV Park. Smaller campground, paved, river side sites and just up the road from the main strip. They have an unusual cancellation policy, so I'll be calling after January 30th to make reservations.

If anyone else is interested, we'd love to have you help celebrate 35 years...

j

Last edited:
Funny that, our anniversary is August 21st and we honeymooned in Gatlinburg as well.

We are actually looking at going right after Christmas while my daughters are out of school. We have the GSP run for the summer but I intend to build a pole barn this summer to house the camper so there went our usual second summer camping trip. Sounds like a great plan though. Our daughters start back in the first week of August.

That's sounds like a good idea, I'll have to talk to my DW and see when the new school year calendar comes out, and my work schedule. That trip is just about worth it just to have dinner at the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge.

We stayed at the Rivers Edge campground. It's a older place but nice, the sites were on the small side for our 5er.

Pine Mountain is a very nice park, we were there for spring break last year, I would highly recommend it. Are you a Good Sams member? You will get a discount if you are, if not it may make sense to become a member. I think we saved $50 for our stay and membership was only $24.

We are actually looking at going right after Christmas while my daughters are out of school.
Hmm. A Christmas trip. With the camper? December in the Smokies can be pretty cold, but a nice cabin...

Pine Mountain is a very nice park... I would highly recommend it. Are you a Good Sams member?
Thanks for the recommendation. I spent several evenings looking into every cg in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and the park. Pine Mt seemed to be the best compromise. I'm not a Good Sam member, but I'll look into it. Pine Mt was one of the most expensive places I considered.

Randy,
Come on up and join us. We stayed for a couple of nights at RiverEdge on the way to Myrtle Beach. It was OK, just a little crowded for a bigger rig. We also stayed in Gatlinburg at Twin Creek. It felt even tighter and was still a few miles away from the strip.

j

The DW and I really enjoy Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and would love to be a part of a Dis meet there but that is the week that we will be at the Fort for our family trip with our kids before my DD has to start back at UK. I'm with you Randy in that it is worth the trip just to have dinner at the Old Mill sitting by a window overlooking the river. We just recently returned from a 3 day trip to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge and visited The Island at Pigeon Forge. This place is a really good shot of needed upgrade for the area. Lots of newer attractions and Paula Dean's restaurant is worth a visit. If you ever thought you would like to zipline......I highly recommend Climbworks. I never thought I would zipline but my kids shamed me into it. Glad they did.

Steve

Last edited:
We were in Pigeon Forge in July of 2015. We stayed at Mill Creek Campground. It's a nice (Quaint) campground with very reasonable prices. They have free WiFi (Yeah, right.... Oh they have it but it's slower than Dial-up) and the sites are very basic. Many "Pull through" sites too. Only one comfort station (that we found) at the main building, but it's very clean. A basic pool area too. Again, nothing to right home about. For us it was a place to stay while we enjoyed Dollywood, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and such. We also went Parrot Mountain. http://www.parrotmountainandgardens.com/ We LOVED this (but be warned, it's on a mountain and there is a lot of "Up Hill" walking involved)

The DW and I also had a morning trip at the Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant for breakfast (Left kids to sleep/stay in camper) and loved that too. Of course while there we did the Dixie Stampede.

The downside was the traffic. Parkway was horrible and certainly no place for a timid driver. Even going down to Gatlinburg, once in Gatlinburg, the traffic is (or at least was) crazy. We found a parking place and explored on foot. Parking can be a challenge too, since I was driving a Ford F-250 and won't fit in most parking garages. We did find an outdoor lot with "Flat Rate" of $20.00 but if you leave and come back you have to pay it again. (Ouch)

All in all the DW and I do want to make it back there again some day.

Several have mentioned 'The Old Mill' restaurant in PF - now 'that' is a restaurant worth going to time and again. Also, Cheddars is one of the best anywhere. It's a big dilemma though, as we absolutely 'love' cooking outside by the 'Little River' at our campsite.

We go to the Smoky Mtns. every year (since '68 - Wow, our ages LOL), but we can't get away from staying within the park itself at Elkmont Campground. Our children joke and say that is the place that feels like 'home' more than any other, as DH's job was the 'mover' company. :)

Pigeon Forge has gotten so crowded that we don't go there much anymore. We love to stay mostly in the parks - take great hikes to waterfalls and such - not everyone's cup of tea, I know - love the mountains though.

peg110, you consider the Mill Creek Campground 'quaint' eh? Guess my description would be more along the lines of very busy, crowded, and modern - but it does have a beautiful setting and location for those that mostly stay in Pigeon Forge. We've only stayed there once, but it wasn't very relaxing to us - it does accommodate the largest of rigs though. There are lots of secluded, yet close, campgrounds in the area also.

Sorry, after reading over the pp's, just realized this was more about staying in Gatlinburg than going to the Smokies - most of this would not apply.:o

Last edited:
We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary with our first trip to the Gatlinburg area of the Smokies but going in mid July. We are staying at Smoky Mountain Premiere RV Park in Cosby TN. Will be our first journey to camp in Tennessee.

Old Mill Restaurant... Hmm. Never been there, but with the round of recommendations, I'll make sure I get there.

N of Mouse-
I also prefer the national/state park kind of campgrounds. I'd love to get into Elkmont and be inside the park, but Elkmont has a 32 ft limit. Cades Cove is nice too, but it is a 35 ft limit. My old trailer was 31 ft and I would 'sneek' it into places with a 30 ft limit and nobody noticed. The new trailer is 42. I think it might stick out (figuratively and literally) with a 32 ft limit.

We are staying at Smoky Mountain Premiere RV Park in Cosby TN. Will be our first journey to camp in Tennessee.
I looked at that place. It looks nice, but it's 16 miles outside of Gatlinburg. I think I wanted to stay closer in.

j

Teamubr, actually there are sites at Elkmont that accommodate pretty large units and they don't seem very strict as long as you stay on the paved portion. Our MH is actually 35' (considered 34') and we have plenty room for it and our toad - never have any problems. We have seen units longer than ours also.

We've never stayed on the Cosby (east) side of the park - it is too far from the visitor center and main areas for us.

Teamubr, actually there are sites at Elkmont that accommodate pretty large units. We have seen units longer than ours also.
I thought I remembered seeing some bigger rigs in Elkmont and Cades Cove both. This site lists the length restrictions. It says Elkmont is 32 ft for a trailer. 35 for a motorhome. Either way. This new trailer is REALLY long when you stand next to it. It really stands out at the storage lot and there are some decent size motorhomes and even a bus.

It has been long enough since we've been to Gatlinburg, I wanted to stay closer to the tourist activities in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. If we go back sooner, I'll probably look for something more remote.

j

Old Mill Restaurant... Hmm. Never been there, but with the round of recommendations, I'll make sure I get there.

N of Mouse-
I also prefer the national/state park kind of campgrounds. I'd love to get into Elkmont and be inside the park, but Elkmont has a 32 ft limit. Cades Cove is nice too, but it is a 35 ft limit. My old trailer was 31 ft and I would 'sneek' it into places with a 30 ft limit and nobody noticed. The new trailer is 42. I think it might stick out (figuratively and literally) with a 32 ft limit.

I looked at that place. It looks nice, but it's 16 miles outside of Gatlinburg. I think I wanted to stay closer in.

j

Teamubr, is that 42 foot a manufacturer number or is that a tape measure measurement ? Just curious as we are looking and the numbers are all over. Not that is matters the truck will pull anything.

Teamubr, is that 42 foot a manufacturer number or is that a tape measure measurement ?
It is supposed to be the front cap to the rear bumper, not counting the pin box. I haven't put a tape measure on it yet. Actually it is 41ft 9 in. I'm bringing it back home Friday after work. It is going to be 60 and dry all weekend. I want to start getting the storage arranged and move our old stuff in. I'll throw a tape measure on it and give you a "real" length. I also need to measure the height with it hitched. The brochure says it is the same height as my old trailer (12' 5"), but this thing looks taller.

j

I thought I remembered seeing some bigger rigs in Elkmont and Cades Cove both. This site lists the length restrictions. It says Elkmont is 32 ft for a trailer. 35 for a motorhome. Either way. This new trailer is REALLY long when you stand next to it. It really stands out at the storage lot and there are some decent size motorhomes and even a bus.

It has been long enough since we've been to Gatlinburg, I wanted to stay closer to the tourist activities in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. If we go back sooner, I'll probably look for something more remote.

j

:thumbsup2

We have made a trip to GSNP every year for the past few years staying in a little cabin between Gatlingburg & Pigeon Forge. We typically go right after "normal school" starts and right before harvest. We will miss out this year due to new baby ;) We had discussed last year, the next time we come down we will likely stay in the park.

We have made a trip to GSNP every year for the past few years staying in a little cabin between Gatlingburg & Pigeon Forge. We typically go right after "normal school" starts and right before harvest. We will miss out this year due to new baby ;) We had discussed last year, the next time we come down we will likely stay in the park.

Can't beat camping at an 'inside' park, but unless you already know, there are 'no' hookups! Fine for us as we've camped there for many years and can be very conservative - have had a generator the last several years, so, no issues anymore. Elkmont is our favorite 'go to' relaxing place every year.

Also, reservations can be made 6 months in advance, and are 'highly' popular - fill up very fast!

Most people don't know it, but Cade's Cove is far better when you have the energy and time to tour it by bike. It's 11 miles one way, but has two cutoff roads to shorten the trip if needed. The really good thing is on Sundays and Wednesdays from opening until 10 AM the road is closed to motor vehicles and open to bikes only.
lots-of-cyclists.jpg

This eliminates traffic worries and improves your chances for seeing the wildlife.
54d1d984f314e4fd055c2bfe94c6d73f.jpg

Before we had kids and used to live in Maryville, TN we would go over there on those mornings and ride our bikes.

This "bikes only" option is from May until September. You can ride a bike any time however, you just have to deal with the cars.
biking-thru-cades-cove-marian-bell.jpg

Now, there are some places that will require you to go up some grades, but not too bad. There are also some places where you go down some grades as well.

peril1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, love to bike Cades Cove - always bring our bikes when we camp there - the rentals are beaters with 3 speeds at best. We need all 27 of ours to go up those steep grades, and even at that walk a few of them partially. Have been riding our bikes there since our oldest was in a bike seat on my bike. Have seen bears many a time while on our bikes - just 'slightly' unnerving!!! :scared1: Usually take our time and go the 11 mi. loop in about 2 1/2 hours.
Making our ressies a little late this year and are having quite a time getting a site anywhere near the river (Elkmont).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter