Anyone traveled the western way yet?

We4mickey

Cast Member
Coming down in October and everyone is doing their planning. We would like to come down this new way. Has anyone driven it yet? What are the directions to FW along this route? TIA

YES! We did and it was so peaceful! We traveled it at night coming from visiting friends in TN. It brings you on property over by Coronado Springs. It is a toll road, so have $$ handy or the sunpass, epass, opass, etc. It is the new interchange that they just finished building north of Orlando. It's SR 429, called the "Daniel Webster Expressway". Coming from the north to Disney (which you will be if you're using this road) it's exit 267A. There's one toll plaza on it that costs $1.00 for cars.

Here's google maps' picture of the Turnpike exit- the Fla. Turnpike is running e-w and the Western Way is running N-S; you'd be coming from the west and turning south. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.545926,-81.556664&spn=0.052325,0.07905&t=h&z=14&om=1

Here's the entrance from Western Way to Disney property. It's not on the satellite pictures, but the street map is showing it accurately. It looks like you go through what used to be backstage parts of AK to connect with Disney's road system. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.373957,-81.583099&spn=0.05241,0.07905&t=h&z=14&om=1

If you're coming from the north to get to Disney, there's no reason not to go this way. The road's not crowded, and it gets you on property without having to go through I-4 or 192 (or Osceola Parkway, which has gotten progressively worse since they opened it).

It spits you out right next to Coronado Springs, so directions to the Fort would be just as if you were trying to get to the Fort from there. There's Disney-themed signage telling you which way to go to get on World Drive, or you could go on towards Downtown Disney and get on Bonnet Creek Rd. (the road that Port Orleans is on) and get to the Fort that way, if you want to miss the World Drive traffic.

We're coming from NY down I-95 to 4. Is there a way to get to it from I95?

OOps..never mind..I looked at the map..it wouldn't make sense to do it.

I did it last year and you need to watch if you take it. There is one section "custom made" as a speed trap. Just after you can see everest and round a little curve the speed drops to 35mph. As if we didn't spend enough money at WDW already!

We were taking pictures of Everest last year and didn't pay attention. When we rounded the curve there was 3 cops sitting there: 1 in a car ready to chase, one clocking speed, and one standing in the road waving cars over. They had a nice little setup going with 3-4 cars at a time.

Personally I like going CR-535 better as you come right by the Fort when you turn off on Vista Blvd.

Like AuburnJen (War Eagle) said, it is the best way to come into WDW, so very peaceful, we may have seen 2 cars on the road coming and going. I-4 is a nightmare, but you can take your time and enjoy the scenery (orange groves). We won't enter WDW any other way from now on. The signs take you whereever you need to go, so don't worry about getting lost (as long as I'm not in the car with you :rotfl:). I can't agreee with Sinclare, actually I have only seen one police car on property and that was on the road near the MK. But who wants to speed on WDW Property anyway, too much to see.

I guarantee if you try it, you will never go back to I-4 again.

Suzanne princess:

We have taken the Western Way route from the Florida turnpike about 4 times now and love it. :woohoo: :woohoo:

I've also taken it last December. Great road!! With a single axle trailer it is $6.50 in tolls.

We did last March. Loved it! We kept wondering if we were on the right road because there was absolutely no traffic and this was during Spring Break, early afternoon.

Unfortunately I dont think all 5 of us will fit in a T@B so we are stuck with the tandem axle. ;)

Actually, that was just a little utility trailer I was pulling with all my tenting stuff. I guess the T@B will cost the same :love:

We have used it when leaving WDW and it is great! Gets you out to the Florida turnpike very easily.

However, we will never use it when arriving at WDW. It is a tradition to exit the turnpike at Rt 27 (Howey-in-the-Hills, Clermont) and drive south, exiting at Rt 192 east and entering WDW through the main entrance. We just love the main entrance and the excitement it generates, and we are not ready to give it up!:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

We have used it when leaving WDW and it is great! Gets you out to the Florida turnpike very easily.

However, we will never use it when arriving at WDW. It is a tradition to exit the turnpike at Rt 27 (Howey-in-the-Hills, Clermont) and drive south, exiting at Rt 192 east and entering WDW through the main entrance. We just love the main entrance and the excitement it generates, and we are not ready to give it up!:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Actually, you can use it to get to 192 and skip 27. Just keep following 429S to 192, then get on World Drive.

L-O-V-E the Western Way :woohoo:

CKelley is on the money that if you have a desire to go in through the main entrance, just ride it down to Hwy 192 and double back under the sign. I admit it is a little anti-climatic to come in beside Cornado Springs. But it's like when I was little and people would come visit our house: strangers would knock at the front door; family let themselves into the kitchen through the back door! :laughing: So coming in via the WW beside CS feels like the "back door" to me.

I assume it saves me time (haven't clocked it) but pulling the pop-up twice now I'm happier that the WW is less stressful and does not have much traffic at all. It's definitely the way in and out of the Magic Kingdom to me.

Bama ED

PS-the second time we used it (this past March) there were cops on the access road between CS and WW. I was okay but yep, they were there.

PPS-I might try the Hwy 535 route next time, Sinclare, because that takes us by the Winn Dixie we always shop at when staying at FW. Normally I check in and set up first.....

I have done this 3 times ....yes it is a speed trap waiting to happen,police allways seem to be there when i go thru:confused3 :confused3 But never as bad as when i drive to tampa wow talk about a speed trap..they have a suv on a overpass with a radar gun and many and i do mean many officers pulling you over left and right:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: I was glad i got a heads up from another disser on that one:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I did it last year and you need to watch if you take it. There is one section "custom made" as a speed trap. Just after you can see everest and round a little curve the speed drops to 35mph. As if we didn't spend enough money at WDW already!

We were taking pictures of Everest last year and didn't pay attention. When we rounded the curve there was 3 cops sitting there: 1 in a car ready to chase, one clocking speed, and one standing in the road waving cars over. They had a nice little setup going with 3-4 cars at a time.

Personally I like going CR-535 better as you come right by the Fort when you turn off on Vista Blvd.

If you take I95 down from the Northeast, it is out of the way. However, the advantage may be that eventually, as people get used to it being there, it may siphon off some I4 traffic.

As you come off the ramp, there is the huge Welcome to Walt Disney World sign with Mickey, Minnie, and Donald that spans both lanes, so you do get the same excitement that you do coming in the Main entrance. You also get to see alot of the back areas, like some of the "gardens" where there are alot of the plants growing for AK. We have only entered by the main entrance once, but I am always excited to come down that ramp and see that sign, my sign "home".

Suzanne princess:

As you come South down 429 you can see the contemporary and Epcot around where the old YMCA road is. That first glimpse is what gets us going. :cool1:

the western way is an excellent way to get to disney but it also has its draw backs.you need to very carefull on this road because although there is not alot of traffic on it,the law enforcement on this road is very well present.and expect to pay a couple of tolls on this road also.another thing that some people dont notice is that on a clear sunny day you might be able to see some of the disney world landmarks off to the left as you get closer to the disney exit,you can see the castle and spaceship earth and also the contemporary resort,soo if you are taking children this can be the anticipation builder,it does it for me!i dont expect this new road to be a secret very long just like all the other roads,so enjoy it while it lasts! have a great trip!:banana:

I am surprised it hasn't gotten more traffic, it has been open since April 2006. As for police, I haven't seen one on this road, however it has only been open for our last 2 trips. I can tell you we won't enter from I-4 ever again, unless this road is closed for some reason.

There is one toll and it is for $1.00.

Suzanne princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter