• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone travel I-10 in AL??

LegoMom3

WDW vet now exploring "Walt's Park!"
We are currently in FL, moving to TX in a few weeks. We also hope to make a trip to the Fort next year, from TX, with our pop-up.

My question is in regard to traveling I-10 in AL and the tunnel through Mobile. I would assume that the propane tank is considered a Hazmat for tunnel purposes? If so, for those of you who travel this route to and from Ft. Wilderness, what route do you take?

Thanks in advance for your help! This is a great forum and I look forward to getting more involved in it when we start doing more camping!

No Problem. I travel that way often. Just be sure you are on I-10 and go through the "new" tunnel. The old Bankhead Tunnel on US 90 is too small. The golfer Daly ripped the top off his RV a few weeks ago in the old tunnel.

And go slow on the eastbound approach. it's a pretty tight turn going in. Nothing to stop you...just be careful.

And go slow on the eastbound approach. it's a pretty tight turn going in. Nothing to stop you...just be careful.

Definitely go slow! Folks just don't realize how tight of a turn it is until it's too late. There are wrecks there all of the time! Just pay attention to the traffic around you. Personally, I don't like taking that turn with an 18 wheeler next to me. Take your time and you'll be just fine!!:thumbsup2

We go that way alot with our pup.No problems. You will be fine.We make that drive to the fort twice a year and have no problems except it being a long drive. Welcome to Texas!

Thanks everyone! It's good to know we don't have to alter our route at all.

We go that way alot with our pup.No problems. You will be fine.We make that drive to the fort twice a year and have no problems except it being a long drive. Welcome to Texas!

Thanks!! I've enjoyed Florida but am really, really excited for this move! We just spent two weeks over there in June and I loved it. Can't wait to go back.

Just a little more info...When you're heading east on I 10 and approaching the tunnel, 2 things to remember. There are 3 lanes just before the tunnel, the far left lane ends. Secondly, the right hand lane is nice until just before the tunnel when you start the curve into the tunnel, THERE'S AN ON RAMP right there. Geez, talk about a lousy place to have folks merging into traffic.
For these reasons, I pick the "middle" left hand lane which becomes the left lane going into the tunnel. Of course when I'm towing my PUP, it's strictly right hand lane for me. But then I don't have the nerve to drive all over the place like so many folks, I just stick to Florida.:rolleyes1
Of course everyone is in a hurry and I'm sure you'll want to get back over to the right hand lane after the tunnel or just be aware of the merging traffic and be prepared to brake. Take it slow here and you'll be just fine.
Also, there's a couple of You Tube videos of folks going thru the tunnel, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.
It's a great tunnel though. :thumbsup2 Good luck and be safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter