Anyone taken their dog to Hard Rock? A few ???

BC

DIS Veteran
We have 2 dachshunds and one is not expected to live much longer as he has cancer. We have cancelled a trip we had planned for this month, but when all this is over, we are thinking of going to Universal for a few days. The other dog we have has never been without the one that is sick, so we do not want to leave her alone anytime soon after she loses her buddy, so we are wanting to take her with us. She is sort of anxious anyway and we were wondering how secure she would be in the room alone? Do you just put a sign on the door indicating to the staff that you have a pet in the room or what? If someone came in she did not know, she would freak out! I don't mean she would growl and bite, but that she would be scared to death and may be try to run away. Housekeeping wasn't the greatest the last time we stayed there and I just wanted your thoughts. Just hoping they would not come in if there is a "Do Not
Disturb" sign on the door. Thanks!

So sorry to hear about one of your "kids".
We are taking our two "kids" with us. We plan on keeping them in the Universal Kennel durning the day and only have them in the room when we are there too.

BC,
I'm sorry I won't be of any help with your question as I've not yet been to any of the US resorts, but I'm sure there are some pet owners here on the boards who will be able to help you. I just wanted to express my sympathies to you for what you must be going through with your beloved dachshund. A friend of mine has one & she is the sweetest little thing you ever saw. Best wishes to you & your pets.....I'm sure they bring you infinite joy.

Kitty, can you tell me about the kennel? Can you come and go during the day with your pet or how exactly does it work? We usually go to the park for 1/2 day and then back to the room for a while and then go back. At night, we go out to dinner, so we would be in and out alot. I assume they are closed in the evening. Any info you can give is much appreciated.

From what I've been told...
The kennel opens an hour before the parks and closes 2 hours
after the parks do. I think you can come and go as you please
(or as the pets please). I know that you will need to go to the
kennel and walk your pet yourself. The cost is $10.00 per day.
If you have an Ap the kennel is free. I also think that the hotels
themselves have different services for your pet. Like walking
them and even room service, with a special pet menu. This
will be our first time staying on-site and the first time we've
brought our pets to Universal.

When will you be going? Of course, we are not sure when we will be able to make it, but if you could give me an update when you get back, I would appreciate it.

BC,
We are going this Thursday- May 6th. (I CAN"T WAIT!!!!).
And then we have plans to go again twice this summer.
We live in Sunny Florida, so luckily we have no $$airfare.
I'll get in touch with you when we get back.
P.S. My stepson (who is like my own son) has three dacshunds,
and he loves them so much. We have "baby-sitted" them,
and boy they are something.

We brought our Golden Retriever and our Black Lab with us to HRH in the summer of 2002, and we are going to do the same this summer. We stayed for 4 days and left the dogs in the room during the day while we visited the parks. We just hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and never had any trouble at all. We are a family of 6 who needed two connecting rooms, so we switched the dogs from one room to the other during the 4 days so that room service could clean each room every other day. This worked fine for us. If you only have one room like most people would, you can contact housekeeping and have them come in while you take the dog for an extended walk. We did ask housekeeping for extra towels for the dog room each day, and they were very cooperative.

We have used the Universal kennel on previous trips when we stayed off site. That worked fine as well. It was $10 per pet, and you do have to walk them yourself. The only thing is that they are in a cage as opposed to a room. They tend to get anxious just like your dog does, so as long as we are staying at HRH, we plan to leave them in the room. They feel more at ease that way.

I hope that this helps. Please just ask if there is anything else that you need to know. I guess you could say that we are pretty familiar with bringing pets with us to Universal.

I'm sorry to hear that one of your dogs has cancer. :(

My Mom brings her dog with her on vacation and I bring my cat. I stayed at HRH last year with my cat and everything worked out fine. Both my Mom and I stayed at RPR last week with our pets and everything was fine there also. Our pets both received a welcome gift at RPR while my cat did not receive one at HRH. You have a few options at the hotels when staying with a pet.

I put my cat in the bathroom while I was away from the room. I taped a note to the outside of the bathroom door letting housekeeping know that my cat was in there and to please not let her out. I also mentioned that all dirty towels were placed outside the bathroom. Everyday when I came back to the room, a nice clean supply of towels was waiting for me on the bed. I'd go ahead and let my cat out of the bathroom since housekeeping had already visited and I'd place the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door just in case. This worked perfectly.

My Mom tried 2 different methods and both worked fine. Twice she called Star services and told them she needed housekeeping to come to her room while she was walking her dog. Housekeeping was there within 5 minutes and they told her that they'd need 20-30 minutes to clean the room. Mom returned in 30 minutes and sure enough, the room had been cleaned. The other days, she just placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and would either catch housekeeping in the hall or call them to bring fresh towels.

Don't forget to bring your dogs rabies certificate cause they will probably ask to see it and make a copy of it.

Also, I was told by a RPR room service associate that they are not allowed to open any door that has a "Do Not Disturb" sign on it so I'm sure your dog will be very secure in the room. :D Let me know if you have any other questions.

Is there a size limit for pets at HRH. I guess i just assumed it was "small pets" but a golden retriever and lab sound pretty big.

We are going to be staying at the HRH in a few weeks and one of us has severe pet allergies.

Do they have pet free rooms? Are there specific pet areas or are they allowed anywhere? what about in the parks?

There is no size limit on pets in any Loews hotel. I don't know if there are specific pet rooms. All I know is that we were on the 5th floor pretty far from the elevator. There was a dog in the room next to us, but it wasn't as if the whole floor was full of pets. If we get put in the same general area when we are there this summer, I will begin to suspect that there are certain pet areas.

Our dogs didn't go anywhere except the room, the hallway to the elevator, the elevator itself, and the hallway out to the pet walking area behind HRH. Pets are not allowed by the pool or in the parks.

I would really like to like Miss Heidi in the room, but I am really scared if someone opens the door, she would run out. That happened once when we weren't home and a friend came by and opened the door without knowing she was in the room. She ran away and was missing for 7 days! We were almost crazy when we finally got a call that someone had seen her. I feel better knowing they will not open the door if the sign is out.

Kittycat, your stepson must be a good guy to have 3 dogs! You are right, they are pretty unique little dogs. Once you ever have one, you don't want anything else.

Originally posted by Suzyq123

We are going to be staying at the HRH in a few weeks and one of us has severe pet allergies.

Do they have pet free rooms? Are there specific pet areas or are they allowed anywhere? what about in the parks?

Make sure that it's noted on your reservation about the pet allergies and that you remind at check-in. You will then be put in a pet-free room.

I have rarely seen dogs at the Loews hotels, maybe once each visit in the lobby and I've never heard them barking. People with obnoxious dogs (like me) wouldn't be so likely to bring them on vacation. Of course that wasn't your concern, but some people are worried about the noise.

T&B

All the hotels at Universal will not open the door if you specifically contact Universal housekeeping and mention it at check-in. They also have motion detectors in the room and will not come in. You can specify an evening hour or day hr for housekeeping. Another option would also be to invest in a child(pet) safety gate to put at the end of the room hallway just in case of an error your dog cannot escape. Hope this helps. Most pet rooms are ground level and they have lovely areas for walking. The kennels are nice but you must return several times a day for walking your pet.

I actually had thought about the baby gate but wasn't sure if one would be wide enough for that size opening. I bought a soft side pet crate today that folds down for traveling. I hate to crate her, but thought if nothing else, I could try it for a few hours. Then again, it might stress her even more to be put in something she is not used to. Man, it's as bad as worrying about a baby! Amazing how these little guys take over your life without speaking a word!

I had purchased those white plastic pens that are for children when outside. They snap together and fold up. You could bring 2 or three pieces and just put them inside the bedroom wall leading to the hallway-secure them with the 2 chaisr in the room and you won't have to crate the poor baby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter