• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone taken 80 yr. olds to WDW?

I took my grandparents back in 2001 they were 78 and 81 at that time and I have to admit they were reluctant at first but after I gave them the planning videos to watch and guaranteed them that they would not be rushed or made to do more than they felt comfortable doing they jumped on board and they had a great time. My grandfather refused a wheelchair which would have made things easier but in the end they had a great time and to this day talk about it and how glad they are that they went :earsboy:

Tina

My 79 yo grandmother ASKED me to take her and 89 yo grandfather this December!!! They travel Germany - Canada - Hawaii every year and now she would like to add WDW into the mix.....

:)

Hi, In December of 2004 I took my aunt for her 85 birthday, she is legally blind and it was her first trip.

She keeps asking when we are going back, so we have planned a week long trip for this year. We got her a wheelchair and we went to all 4 theme parks in 3 days and we actually did the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas party 2 nights til after midnight.

She especially enjoyed the parades and the shows. We took her to various character meals and got her an autograph book, now that we are home, she is showing off all the pictures of her from there with all the characters and telling all her friends that they should visit WDW. The characters were great and very attentive to her.

She tells everyone she felt like a little kid again, and how much she can't wait to go back. She had more energy than all of us younger folks who were with her and to see the happiness and excitement that just glowed when she saw a character, was priceless.

Have a great trip!!!!

MIL was 85 and a diabetic .....insulin twice a day . heart problem and boy did she have fun. We made sure that a wheelchair was delivered to the dolphin for us to use all over the hotel...Boardwalk and all the parks.......easy to handle ...she did walk sometimes ....she would push the wheelchair then.. But the walking would of been to much for her .....HEY ITS TO MUCH FOR US SOMETIMES.....she had an awesome time and so did we. Four generations at the dolphin

I took my 85 yo grandmother last summer and I would strongly suggest renting an electric scooter from one of the offsite vendors (see disabilities board for suggestions). This will give your mother some independence and will free you up from having to push her around. There are some issues with the scooters in DW because people aren't paying attention or are in a hurry and tend to jump in front and can be obstacles.

We found BCV especially a good location because it is the back door for Epcot but Disney is pretty disabled friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter