• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone taken 80 yr. olds to WDW?

toneyba

Moondog
I will be taking my 89 year old mother to Disney World in December. We are staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. I have been been to WDW several times but Mother has never been. (She did visit DL many years ago). I would appreciate suggestions for things we can do around the lodge itself and at Epcot that she would be able to do and enjoy. She is very sharp mentally, but has arthritis in back, knee and hip so we'll need a wheelchair for Epcot. At the lodge and at restaurants she will get around very well with her 4-wheeled walker. I want this to be a very relaxing, enjoyable trip for her and will let her set the pace. She does like to travel and see new things. (Parks other than Epcot are fine if you have ideas for things to do there. I just know she will really enjoy Epcot.) I am renting a car.

Thanks. This is my first post but I have received many wonderful ideas from reading these boards.

get a wheelchair from the resort when you check in. (it's FREE)

then let her decide when to use it.

I would go with the buses if she decide to use the wheelchair - because they are pain to pick up and put in and out of the car.

mother loves the parks - MK is her favorite - but she also loves Epcot.

the resort itself some of the places can only be reached by stairs... the villa is a little better designed.

go on the resort tour.

I might consider changing resorts - unless you are planning on spend a large amount of time at the MK.

I would go with OKW - easier to get to the car.

BC/BW - easier to get to Epcot or studios.

taking your car at VWL is not a good plan - the bus stop is much, much closer than the parking lot.

boy forgot the big thing - WELCOME to the Dis!!!

there are lots of things she can do - also a lot she can't.

on the list
World of Energy
Spaceship Earth
Living Seas
Journey into the Imagnation

how is her balance and back if kind - you do it first then decide if she can
Mission to Space (mother at 82 did it and loved it)
Test Track - mother has back problems - so she can't do this one.

the gardens - FW, China, Norway, Japan, Germany, France, Canada

you can go back and explore these gardens.

the rides in Mexico and Norway - are okay - mother loves them.

MK - none of the RR.

that say - Jungle Cruise, Mother loves the Carousel, Peter pan, Haunted Mansion, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Dumbo, Magic Carperts, Tiki room, Astro Orbiter, buzz lightsader.

studios - tower of terror, the shows, great movie ride.

This is such a difficult thread to respond to, because seniors are so varied in their physical abilities/interests. When my grandmother was in her late 70s, we took her to MK and Epcot. She was very frail and physically unable to do most rides, and had no interest in most of the other rides. However, she thoroughly enjoyed the shows, the scenery, and the CMs that went above and beyond to make her feel welcome. Around the same time, my other grandparents (same age) went to MK and Epcot, walked around all day, and had no interest in roller coasters but did every single other ride. My grandfather on that side has now passed away, but my grandmother (now 85) is still sprightly and physically agile, and would love to do Disney again if it "wasn't so darned expensive." Other people in her retirement home are pushing 100, and could out-do most of us on a day at the parks.

So my best advice would be to get several guidebooks, download info on all of the rides and shows, and talk it all out with your mother. Does she have dizziness or balance issues? How painful is the arthritis? Is she an adrenaline junkie or someone who doesn't like to disturb her equilibrium? Without knowing her interests or desire for thrills, it's hard to give specific advice. Everything at the parks is accessible, for a few rides she would have to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride vehicle. So it really just comes down to her personal interests. I would give her gentle encouragement to come out of her "comfort zone" a bit, but I think it's great that you're making this "her trip" and letting her set the pace and tone.

I can't give any advice about the resorts, as I'm local and have stayed on property a grand total of maybe 5 nights in my life.

We've taken DH's 89 yo aunt numerous time. Although she has rheumatoid arthritis and is legally blind, she enjoys WDW very much. She's willing to do anything she's able to do. She especially enjoys the shows. I see you're going in December. The Candlelight Processional is a must do for DA! We usually get the package and have a nice dinner at Le Cellier. She also enjoys lunch at Primetime in MGM. We did get her a wheelchair from the resort on her last trip. It was a godsend at AK. We also have the cutest picture of my DH pushing an wheelchair down the hall at the Poly while DA walks next to him. :rotfl:

My mom actually has her own wheelchair that we use for traveling like for long distances in the airport and Disney. She has bad arthritis in her back and legs and while she walks short distances at home- even around the resorts at Disney we used the wheelchair.

We scheduled a lot of sit down meals at different places that have stuff to watch. Like living seas(the big aquarium) a character breakfast- (she loved taking back the pictures of her with all the characters to her senior center.) Prime time at MGM because the furniture, tvs etc is from the 50s. The Wilderness lodge has that one restaurant (something Canyon) that has stuff going on. I tried to do restaurants that weren't just about the food so she got the total Disney experience since she wasn't able to do the parks at lightspeed pace.We also did Candlelight Processional- a must - and doing the meal deal gets you reserved seating so you don't have to stand in the long general line. I agree with riding the bus- it is easier and the bus driver would put the chair on it for you.

It was a little more difficult than I thought it would be to get my mom on some of the rides that have the moving sidewalk kind of entrance (like haunted mansion). I had my husband with me and we just kind of man-handled her and stuffed her into the ride. I think we should have used the special entrances for handicapped a little more. If anyone has some hints on this- I'd like to hear how they handled it. But she did have a great time. She loved swimming and some of the zero-entry pools are great for that. Go for it though and you will enjoy Disney at a slower pace too!

My mom did Splashmountain at age 83. That was one picture we HAD to buy! We kind of had to lift her out of the log but she had the time of her life.

babylisa4 said:
My mom actually has her own wheelchair that we use for traveling like for long distances in the airport and Disney. She has bad arthritis in her back and legs and while she walks short distances at home- even around the resorts at Disney we used the wheelchair.

We scheduled a lot of sit down meals at different places that have stuff to watch. Like living seas(the big aquarium) a character breakfast- (she loved taking back the pictures of her with all the characters to her senior center.) Prime time at MGM because the furniture, tvs etc is from the 50s. The Wilderness lodge has that one restaurant (something Canyon) that has stuff going on. I tried to do restaurants that weren't just about the food so she got the total Disney experience since she wasn't able to do the parks at lightspeed pace.We also did Candlelight Processional- a must - and doing the meal deal gets you reserved seating so you don't have to stand in the long general line. I agree with riding the bus- it is easier and the bus driver would put the chair on it for you.

It was a little more difficult than I thought it would be to get my mom on some of the rides that have the moving sidewalk kind of entrance (like haunted mansion). I had my husband with me and we just kind of man-handled her and stuffed her into the ride. I think we should have used the special entrances for handicapped a little more. If anyone has some hints on this- I'd like to hear how they handled it. But she did have a great time. She loved swimming and some of the zero-entry pools are great for that. Go for it though and you will enjoy Disney at a slower pace too!
Can't remember on Haunted Mansion, but I pretty sure I remember that at Spaceship Earth they can stop the moving sidewalks to enable people to board.

Took my mom to WDW for the first time when she was 79 and wasbands dad for the first time when he was 81. They both were able to walk and walk and walk...I was so proud of them !!!! I think they most enjoyed the shows...so that would be a good place to start. Sometimes the seats for the shows can be a little hard on the bum, so you might want to attach a seat cushion to her wheelchair (if she gets out to sit in the seats as opposed to staying in the chair).

My mom especially loved swimming..it was very relaxing for her. And I remember they both loved to eat!!!!

Alot of the rides can feel 'jerky' if you have arthristis..altho 'granpa' went on Space Mountain, he was sore after.

Take lots and lots of photos...this will be a special time for your memory books! Enjoy!

It really depends on what her limitations are...

Anyway...Whispering Canyons at WL can be fun. They also have other things going on....you can watch for the geyser to erupt or if she can get in and out with minimal help you could rent mouse boats. Looking at the gardens in the deluxe hotels can be charming also and just plain touring the hotel.

I would focus less on her being 89 and more on her specific issues. As for the car...if she is comfortable waiting for you to bring the car to her I don't see any issue with it. If she's comfortable walking and her walker is a rollator you probably don't need to worry about a wheelchair. If you can afford it an ECV is a handy way for her to get around in the parks.

Since my mom was not used to using a wheelchair fulltime- we usually only used it if she needed to go long distances- when we did take her to the parks in one, she did complain at night about her neck hurting. I think it was from looking up all day(at us) and not being used to it. Anyway, just to say- even that used some new muscles so be conscious of making sure to change her position and don't make the days too long. Don't underestimate how much they are just going to enjoy the people watching and being in a new place. At Wilderness Lodge, my mom could probably be content to sit in the rockers in the lobby and watch all of the goings ons.

We, as well as mom, 85, enjoy going to the Grand Floridian, seeing the holiday decorations, listening to the musicians, and going to the character dinner at 1900 Park Fare. She'll be at the VWL Dec. 10th to the 13th.

Bobbi :flower:

Took my Mom and Dad to WDW twice. First time they were in their 70's and second in their 80's. We all had a ball! Dad loved roller coasters and he and I did BTMR several times. At 85 he did Space Mountain with me (told the CM he had to look out for his middle aged daughter;). Mom loved the Carousel (insisted on sitting on the horse, of course). We did it at their pace and with lots of naps. Staying on property helped a lot. They were married for 70 years and are both gone now, but I'm blessed with some great memories. I think of them every time I go back.

Bravo for taking your Mom and I hope the trip turns out to be as magical as possible! Please tell your Mom I think she has a great daughter.

I would like to take my mother on her first trip to WDW for her 80th birthday this fall. She also has arthritis pretty badly and thinks she won't enjoy WDW because of it (she outright refuses a wheelchair or heaven forbid an ECV). I'm going to print out this thread and show it to her. There's so much I think she'd really enjoy: the shows, the food, the pool, WS, MGM, etc...

Wish me luck!! :genie:

Pea-n-Me said:
I would like to take my mother on her first trip to WDW for her 80th birthday this fall. She also has arthritis pretty badly and thinks she won't enjoy WDW because of it (she outright refuses a wheelchair or heaven forbid an ECV). I'm going to print out this thread and show it to her. There's so much I think she'd really enjoy: the shows, the food, the pool, WS, MGM, etc...

Wish me luck!! :genie:

I am in the same boat with my parents, My Dad is 72, and has mobility issues due to arthritis and circulation problems, Mom 61, is a little better. My folks were never able to take us to WDW to stay as kids and I'm sure they'd love it, I posted on the resort board asking about the villas at OKW, but anyway, I'm just going to surprise them, otherwise Darling Dad would just fuss and refuse to go because he thinks wheelchairs are for other people and he wouldn't want to be a burden...so I'm just looking up tons of information, I'll probably ask a million questions here and I plan to put together a trip and I'll just tell him he has to go because I already paid for it! I'll probably just flat out lie and tell him I can't get my money back either! Good luck with your Mom!

wasabi girl said:
I am in the same boat with my parents, My Dad is 72, and has mobility issues due to arthritis and circulation problems, Mom 61, is a little better. My folks were never able to take us to WDW to stay as kids and I'm sure they'd love it, I posted on the resort board asking about the villas at OKW, but anyway, I'm just going to surprise them, otherwise Darling Dad would just fuss and refuse to go because he thinks wheelchairs are for other people and he wouldn't want to be a burden...so I'm just looking up tons of information, I'll probably ask a million questions here and I plan to put together a trip and I'll just tell him he has to go because I already paid for it! I'll probably just flat out lie and tell him I can't get my money back either! Good luck with your Mom!
Good luck to you too! You're brilliant! :teacher: I'd love to hear how it goes.

sorry neither of you can take my way out - I had knee surgery and had to have a wheelchair - Doctor orders - after the first couple of days - I couldn't get mother out of that chair if I wanted too. They ended her stubborn pride - she saw the value.

we have always gotten one since - and she doesn't claim to not need one!!!

Maybe after the first day at WDW - your parents will see that not only elder people get these things. and not directly it at their ages.
:rolleyes: ::MickeyMo

good luck. :rolleyes1

We are taking my Mom she is 89 yrs old. We have been taking her for years. We always rent a wheelchair for her or bring one from home. She enjoys all of the attractions except for Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom. That was a little to rough for her. I would suggest to you that you show her some trip planning videos so she knows what to expect. I am sure she will enjoy herself no matter what you plan. My Mom loves Disney, She is always asking when are we going back. We will be staying at the WLV also in 3 weeks! :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter