Anyone swapped into Marriott resorts in HH??

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
We are hoping to go to Hilton Head in July 08 but need to have a back up plan in case we can't get into Disney at the 7 month mark. Has anyone ever swapped into any of the Marriott properties at HH? If so, what were they like and how difficult was it to get? We link the look of the 'Grande'!
Debsx

We are hoping to go to Hilton Head in July 08 but need to have a back up plan in case we can't get into Disney at the 7 month mark. Has anyone ever swapped into any of the Marriott properties at HH? If so, what were they like and how difficult was it to get? We link the look of the 'Grande'!
Debsx
It has been done but HH for summer is very difficult. DVC HH will be far easier to get if you book day by day at 7 months out. If you need a 2 BR for a week, put in a request now as it'll be cheaper (270 pts) plus, IMO, two of the 3 resorts for Marriott are overall superior to the DVC HH resort based mostly on location, namely beachfront. When DVC adds the newest Marriott resort (surfwatch) add it to the list above as in the group to select. The order of preference for me would be Grande Ocean, Surfwatch (once it's added) then Barony. I think GO is in a much better location overall plus it only has ocean side and ocean front units. Barony Beach and SW both have garden view units with SW having better ones than BB and as an exchanger this is likely what you will get. If one did a direct exchange that order might change as I think the BB ocean side and OF units are likely superior in location to Surfwatch.

Dean,
I would like to do this next fall. Do you think that would be easier since it will be after the kids go back to school? I know that most "private" rentals for villas on HH go down then so if I can't get one of the "Good" Marriotts, I will just go that route! The DVC locaton does nothing for me so I won't waste my points there. (Personally I would love to get Monarch. I know it's not "new" etc, but I LOVE the location! I will NOT take Harbour or Heritage Club based on my recent stay. LOL!)

Dean,
I would like to do this next fall. Do you think that would be easier since it will be after the kids go back to school? I know that most "private" rentals for villas on HH go down then so if I can't get one of the "Good" Marriotts, I will just go that route! The DVC locaton does nothing for me so I won't waste my points there. (Personally I would love to get Monarch. I know it's not "new" etc, but I LOVE the location! I will NOT take Harbour or Heritage Club based on my recent stay. LOL!)
DVC is a great resort, it's the location that is not as good from my standpoint. Monarch isn't an option since it's not on the list. The other resort is Harbour Club which is not worthy of a DVC trade unless a very peak week IMO. Anything starting week 34 or after will be easier than the summer. That's usually the last full week in August. The later you go the easier other than the holiday weeks of Thanksgiving, Xmas and NY. Planning a full year out I'd think your chances of success are VERY high. Just remember you can only get 2 BR units for a full week. That difference alone is a deal breaker for some and not important for others.

Monarch is not on the DVC exchange list but you could work on a private exchange. The current availability shows a lot of options for late November and some for mid November this year to give you an idea of what you might see. While not on the DVC exchange list, Heritage has free golf if you are a golfer.

Thanks Dean, I hadn't checked the list recently.

The Two bedroom is more then we need and I really want Sept/Oct. November's a little late.

I agree that HH DVC is nice, but the location is one I really don't like. I have stayed there and decided that the location made it a "no go" for future trips...

If you don;t mind timeshare presentations - we did one of those pre-paid trial things and stayed at Monarch 3 nights and the end of last June. I think it was 150.00 or 200.00 - plus we had to attend the sales pitch.

Thanks Dean, I hadn't checked the list recently.

The Two bedroom is more then we need and I really want Sept/Oct. November's a little late.

I agree that HH DVC is nice, but the location is one I really don't like. I have stayed there and decided that the location made it a "no go" for future trips...
For an ongoing search you should have no problem for that time. I just checked the list and they have recently added surfwatch which is really fast the way DVC normally adds new resorts and good for possible DVC exchangers. SW is also the only one that has 3 BR units of the Marriott's. Here are the DVC seasons for GO for a couple of years ago, I doubt they've changed and would expect all the Marriott's on the list to be the same from a DVC standpoint.

Marriott’s Grande Ocean, HH HH **High = 15-42, 51-52. Mid = 7-14. Low =1-6, 43-50

This is C/W the II colors for HH in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter