Anyone still staying at resorts even with the park closed?

Planning to check in 3/18 at BCV. Not sure if it will be a ghost town or packed at the pool. Had flights booked but canceled the flights and plan to drive the 11 hrs each way instead; that way we can drive home early if we want and not dependent on whatever the airlines do. We will call the day before to confirm our Cape May Cafe and Beaches and Cream reservations are still good and that the restaurants are open. I suspect the restaurant closings?, resort entertainment, and whether individual shops at Disney Springs are still open will depend on whether we are the only family or if there is a decent crowd. Hoping for the best.

I'm still planning on going end of March and resort hop. I will have a car so no worries about the bus. The only time that paying for parking at the resort will actually work to MY benefit. LOL

Following this thread because I’m considering doing this in April if parks are still closed and resorts open!
Curious to hear how it goes for others if they do it and and if pools, character meals and resort activities are still fully operational!

Curious to hear how it goes for others if they do it and and if pools, character meals and resort activities are still fully operational!

IF the Resorts stay open,I am sure Disney will KICK the Activities and everything at the Resorts up a notch. :)

(I would think the Pools may even extend hours.)

Just checked into OKW after a stay at SSR. I’d say the place is maybe 25-40% full. Lots of swimming; lots of fun. Beautiful weather. A great place to social distance!

Let us know how things are there and other resorts as far as dining, activities etc!
Are all character meals on?
Will they bring in special characters?
Will things like Beach Club Pirate Adventure Cruise operate?

If i was going to do a resort only vacation, i think i would move off site. I can get so much more resort for the money. Especially now the prices are really good.
We are finishing up our Disney vacation tomorrow. We cancelled the disney portion to reschedule later, we moved to a airbnb at melborne beach. We are not near a lot of people we open our door to waves and sand. This was a great choice.
The 2 bedroom house is $200 a day.
Thank you everyone. This eases my mind a bit. We are scheduled to stay at Pop and then move to the contemporary MK view for the last few nights. I think I will just modify my reservation to a garden view since there won't be any fireworks and save some money to use elsewhere. :) Hope those that continue with their trip have a great time!
after you downgrade
They might be really cool and give it to you anyways. Just ask them when you are there.

If i was going to do a resort only vacation, i think i would move off site. I can get so much more resort for the money. Especially now the prices are really good.
We are finishing up our Disney vacation tomorrow. We cancelled the disney portion to reschedule later, we moved to a airbnb at melborne beach. We are not near a lot of people we open our door to waves and sand. This was a great choice.
The 2 bedroom house is $200 a day.
I can not change our vacation dates. It will be a year till we get another one.

part of my reason is that we rented DVC points for Beach Club and unclear if I’ll get 100% refund or if moving it to another date is possible with owner/DVC availability/my schedule...

1) We spent the day in Melbourne yesterday (3/14/2020).
2) Nice weather.
3) But, more crowded than we thought it would be.
4) We ate at "Grills" restaurant, on the water and toured some rustic sites.
5) It was relatively packed.
6) I guess lots of folks were not that worried about the virus.

Let us know how things are there and other resorts as far as dining, activities etc!
Are all character meals on?
Will they bring in special characters?
Will things like Beach Club Pirate Adventure Cruise operate?

from what I gather, anything that is based in a resort remains the same. I’d assume character breakfasts and dinners remain as is.
I’m hearing from people at MK and AK that these parks are very quiet. Disney Springs is quieter but everything remains open.
We’ve been swimming here at OKW today- pool has people in it having fun, but quieter than it usually is this time of year. Lifeguards are actually having fun with the kids and not acting like the robots they usually are (not a criticism).

At Grand Floridian now and left a quiet MK to come back for a swim. We will be checking into Beach Club on Tuesday and then AKL on Friday. Basically, we will be staying until they give us the boot. It’s already feeling pretty quiet and it seems very luxurious to have the resort almost to ourselves sometimes so far!

Just returned from a resort only stay. It did not feel the same, I do not recommend it. We arrived, Wdw announced they were closing, so we booked an earlier flight home. CMs we spoke to at the resorts and DS are not happy about people continuing to come. It puts them at risk as well as the people you encounter while traveling. If you have a heart, and a refundable vacation, consider rescheduling. WDW will always be there, there’s always a next time. Have a little chill.

We have decided to cancel our trip. :( Ohio just announced that as of 9:00 PM they are closing all bars and restaurants. Allowing delivery and carry out only. I think it's only a matter of time that everyone follows suit with this. Many retail stores are starring to close as well. Each day brings on new closures, etc. Hopefully we can come during the summer.

We rented points through a DVC owner that expire in May and since we aren't sick, travel insurance doesn't cover canceling. So either we go the first week in April as planned or lose our money and stay home... Not thrilled with either option honestly. But, seeing as it has rained almost non-stop here since the end of January, second wettest February in history, then the idea of some warm sunshine is very appealing. Even if we just do our own thing.

1) We spent the day in Melbourne yesterday (3/14/2020).
2) Nice weather.
3) But, more crowded than we thought it would be.
4) We ate at "Grills" restaurant, on the water and toured some rustic sites.
5) It was relatively packed.
6) I guess lots of folks were not that worried about the virus.

And this is why governors of states are starting to shut down bars & restaurants. Coz people can’t be trusted to do the right thing.

Last edited:
IF the Resorts stay open,I am sure Disney will KICK the Activities and everything at the Resorts up a notch. :)

(I would think the Pools may even extend hours.)

Kicking up activities & extending pool hours will be a terrible idea. They shouldn’t be encouraging people to congregate & kids just can’t understand staying distances from each other.

Just returned from a resort only stay. It did not feel the same, I do not recommend it. We arrived, Wdw announced they were closing, so we booked an earlier flight home. CMs we spoke to at the resorts and DS are not happy about people continuing to come. It puts them at risk as well as the people you encounter while traveling. If you have a heart, and a refundable vacation, consider rescheduling. WDW will always be there, there’s always a next time. Have a little chill.

I can’t blame them. A vacation resort isn’t a critical, essential service. Those employees don’t have a “work from home” option. Closing down resorts would be a responsible thing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter