• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone still staying at resorts even with the park closed?

Heather Mason

Earning My Ears
We are still toying with going on our spring break trip and just relaxing at the resort even if the park is closed. Enjoy the pool and Disney Springs. We just need to get out of this weather. We are scheduled to leave March 17-25. Anyone else plan to do this?

I was under the impression that at this point if the resorts remain open Disney would only auto-cancel if you did not show up. We are scheduled to arrive 3/28 and are waiting to see if the resorts remain open.
Thanks. I saw it but I guess I took it a different way because it says if you haven't checked in for your stay between March 16-30 they will cancel. I guess I wonder if we go there and actually check in? Just can't get through to any of the numbers so thought I would ask here.

I am still planning to check in at the Swan on Monday for a 3 night resort stay. They are still accepting reservations, and did a price adjustment for me earlier, so I don’t anticipate them closing.

Hm. I guess it could be interpreted that way as well. If you do get through and get a definitive answer, would you please come back and let us know? Thanks!

My interpretation was that they would auto-cancel you if you no showed, likely to eliminate people waiting on hold or calling at all. If continuing the reservation wasn’t an option, I think the email would have explicitly said that the resorts were closing and to not travel to the hotels.

Hm. I guess it could be interpreted that way as well. If you do get through and get a definitive answer, would you please come back and let us know? Thanks!
I called Pop Century and got right through. Sounded like someone answering from their house. She said the resorts, food court, Disney Springs at Disney World would all be open. Only thing closed are the parks. She said Disneyland the resorts are closing as of 3/16.

I got a reply from online chat.

Our resorts are remaining open and as long as you are able to find availability for tomorrow, you are more than welcome to book a room reservation!

It says that right on the disneyworld site. Parks, ESPN WWoS, mini golf closed; hotels & DS open. As mentioned already, if you don't check in for a hotel reservation, it's automatically refunded.

We’ve been Disney’s Hilton Head Island numerous times and Disney’s Vero Beach once. We always have a great time. One of the HHI trips was in the dead of winter and it was freezing and rained the whole time. It was still great and had plenty of activities for the kids. We didn’t even get to the beach except for one short nature walk.

All to say, the WDW resorts are great vacation destinations in their own right. They have activities going on for kids during the day, along with pools, etc. If the parks are closed, they will likely have more activities on schedule (think scavenger hunts, etc.).

I say go!! It will be a much cheaper vacation without the parks, too. Sad, yes. But doesn’t need to be an either, or. Just different. We plan to go to the Boardwalk area, which we’ve yet to explore. And maybe see the new Cirque du Soleil show that just opened. Fingers crossed it stays open!

I’m considering it, but I’m wondering if the buses are running. I’d think they’d at least be running to Disney Springs? I wouldn’t be happy with just one resort’s food options.

We have plans to arrive at Disney's Vero Beach Resort on 4/3 then head to WDW 4/6 thru the 12th. I know Disney stated they will reopen the parks on the 1st, I have little confidence that the parks will be open. We still plan on going as long as the resorts are open. We are staying Club Level at Beach Club so our kids can swim as much as they want and I can drink as much beer as I want. Sounds like a perfect vacation to me :)

Last edited:
We’ve been Disney’s Hilton Head Island numerous times and Disney’s Vero Beach once. We always have a great time. One of the HHI trips was in the dead of winter and it was freezing and rained the whole time. It was still great and had plenty of activities for the kids. We didn’t even get to the beach except for one short nature walk.

All to say, the WDW resorts are great vacation destinations in their own right. They have activities going on for kids during the day, along with pools, etc. If the parks are closed, they will likely have more activities on schedule (think scavenger hunts, etc.).

I say go!! It will be a much cheaper vacation without the parks, too. Sad, yes. But doesn’t need to be an either, or. Just different. We plan to go to the Boardwalk area, which we’ve yet to explore. And maybe see the new Cirque du Soleil show that just opened. Fingers crossed it stays open!
Thank you everyone. This eases my mind a bit. We are scheduled to stay at Pop and then move to the contemporary MK view for the last few nights. I think I will just modify my reservation to a garden view since there won't be any fireworks and save some money to use elsewhere. :) Hope those that continue with their trip have a great time!

We are thinking of going over to see what is happening at the resorts, do a little pool time and goof off. I think it would be an experience to see it empty.

I’m considering it, but I’m wondering if the buses are running. I’d think they’d at least be running to Disney Springs? I wouldn’t be happy with just one resort’s food options.
I was curious about this too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter