• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone see their yearly WDW vacations ending???

kandb

DIS Veteran
We have been going to Disney yearly for approx. 10 years. We have had great times and our vacations have been memorable. I think after this year's trip (going in August for 10 nights, bounceback), we are probably going to start exploring other destinations. We used to feel Disney was a great value and great vacation but it has definitely gotten less attractive in the past 3 years or so. It's more crowded and has definitely gotten more expensive. The price of tickets for a 10 day trip is around $2K for our family, and that's just to visit the parks. We will take some years off and see how we feel. I will miss WDW but maybe it will feel more magical when we return.

We ended a long while ago...about seven years ago. We started going every other year now and it's okay. I travel a lot for work and am in FLA almost every year for something and usually piggyback a Disney trip. We just came back and have no Orlando plans until at least early 2018 or 2019 and so we may push back to every three years. After returning I have no interest in going back anytime soon but then about 12 months out we get interested in going again...so we'll see.

I would echo that price and value for the price is definitely driving that decision... we can't justify the costs annually or even close and we feel we get very little relative value for the price versus where else we could go (we could travel to Europe for roughly the same per day price!)...it's primarily driven by the fact our kids are little and love it there and we love living it through our kids. If were just my wife and I, we would probably not go again for 3-7 years at a time...

It has definitely gotten more expensive! We still feel it is a great vacation, but we only go every other year. I do think going less often makes it more magical when you return.
I agree that less is more in terms of enjoying it. Plus if you have kids, I feel taking them too often may dilute the experience and melt the memories over time rather than offering something special at different ages of their lives.

We have been going every year since 2007, alternating between Orlando and California/DLR. It looks like this year we're taking a break from theme parks, because we are Canadian and our dollar has taken a nose dive lately. Last year, our Cali trip was definitely more expensive because of that.

Hopefully in 2017. At least Avatar will be open by then.

I don't know what we'll do when our nonexpiring tickets are finished, without being able to get them it definitely makes things tougher on us. We'll see what's available for FL residents then and then decide based on that and how we feel

We used to go every year when my DGD was younger, but then started spreading the trips out a bit more. Not just cost, but there really are more places to visit than Disney.

The past few years I have had several trips in, and have one more booked in December, but I think this one will be it for a while. Again, not just cost, but because without little ones, I do not need to be there as often.

We had "planned" on not going back to WDW since 2014 it just hasn't worked out for us. We are the go to people for Disney trips in our friends and family circle. So of course we have said in the past yeah we will go with you when you are ready and for the past two years it seem everyone is ready to do Disney.

From our past 4 trips 3 we went along for someone else. We did planned our Dec trip because it was the last year of the Osborne lights. We though that would be our last trip for a while and then MIL and FIL decided they want to go this April, one of my best friends in the fall and my husbands god daughter first trip next April. So now we are looking 3 more Disney trips in the next year! We are getting AP so I think we are going to be seeing a lot of Disney for the next year. After that I think we want a break, but honestly who knows what would happened. WDW is not our only vacation we love to travel.

We have been going to Disney yearly for approx. 10 years. We have had great times and our vacations have been memorable. I think after this year's trip (going in August for 10 nights, bounceback), we are probably going to start exploring other destinations. We used to feel Disney was a great value and great vacation but it has definitely gotten less attractive in the past 3 years or so. It's more crowded and has definitely gotten more expensive. The price of tickets for a 10 day trip is around $2K for our family, and that's just to visit the parks. We will take some years off and see how we feel. I will miss WDW but maybe it will feel more magical when we return.

100%
We are dvc members. I had two contracts, sold one this summer. we were annual visitors since 2001, sometimes 2x a year

The product is definitely not worth the asking price. I'm holding onto my smaller contract until 2018. hopefully all the new attractions will be up. I'll reevaluate then

I may take smaller solo trips where the emphasis is not on the parks.

Yes, and it breaks my heart! I know that the cheerleading team will show up soon to tell me how thrilled I should be with the simultaneous cuts/price increase, but it just flat out stinks! :crazy2: With the prices the way they are (and rising constantly) I think we're going to have to be an every three year family. Back in the 00's we were an multi-trip a year family, and that really wasn't that long ago!

The sad part is that I don't think my kids are going to grow up loving Disney the way I did. We were a yearly visit family throughout my childhood/teens the 80s and 90s, which planted and nurtured the love of Disney, and I continued the tradition through adulthood and my children's early years. Without a strong foundation of memories of Disney trips, are my kids going to feel the same way? Are they going to prioritize Disney trips for their kids?

The thing that really gets my goat and makes me feel helpless is that really, I should be able to swing yearly trips like my parents did. My husband and I are more comfortable (even adjusted for inflation) than my parents were, and my parents had one extra kid to buy tickets for. The fact that the costs have increased from what was a reasonable vacation expenditure in the 80/90s to something extravagant and almost out of reach is really lamentable.

It has definitely gotten more expensive! We still feel it is a great vacation, but we only go every other year. I do think going less often makes it more magical when you return.

I agree that less is more in terms of enjoying it. Plus if you have kids, I feel taking them too often may dilute the experience and melt the memories over time rather than offering something special at different ages of their lives.

I've said things to this effect time and time again. There IS a such thing as too much, and I think many, many of the complaints about WDW stem from the fact that some people go so often there's no magic left, just misery in comparing it to "the good old days."

As a family of 6...it is just too expensive to do every year. But we have found every 2-3 years keep the magic going and keeps it "special." We start planning a few months after we get home which keeps up the excitement.

We are also planning on adding Universal for our next trip after this one planned in May/June. With the older ones, they are looking for some more thrill rides.

We started to change our vacation habits a few years ago. Since we have DVC and a teen who loves all things Disney, we will continue to go. But we'll get our APs every few years instead, packing in 2 or 3 trips that year, then taking some years off and doing other stuff.

We aren't going to stop our yearly vacations just yet. My wife and I love wdw, but would likely slow down on trips, but we will be taking ds1 on his first trip this year. Do to our children's young age we will likely continue yearly trips despite increased.

Hopefully the higher prices will help with crowds, but I'm not counting on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter