Anyone rented points from a DVC member to book a cruise?

mtquinn

DIS Veteran
I’ve rented DVC member points for DW trips, but I’d love to get back on a Disney cruise as well. Do/can members rent their points out for regular Disney cruises (not referring to the member only sailings)? Anyone have experience doing this? Thanks!

I’ve rented DVC member points for DW trips, but I’d love to get back on a Disney cruise as well. Do/can members rent their points out for regular Disney cruises (not referring to the member only sailings)? Anyone have experience doing this? Thanks!
I don’t know it’s possible but based on my understanding of the exchange I think it would be more expensive than paying cash.

DVC members can use points for a Disney Cruise, so they could also rent them out, but the cost would most likely be higher than paying cash. The minimum cost for one person (double occupancy) for a 3-night cruise is 100 points, which would typically pay for at least 3 nights in a 1-bedroom DVC resort.

Because a cruise costs many more points than a resort stay, most DVC members who want to apply their points for a cruise choose to rent out the points to people staying at a DVC resort, then use the money earned to pay for a cruise.

Last edited:

Almost certainly would cost more than just booking with cash. In fact, for most DVC members the rate is so bad that they’re better off renting their points to someone to stay at WDW then using the cash from that to book the cruise.

Echo the same as above. Look at the points charts and then do the math. I'm sure there is some tiny group of people that accumulated large amounts of direct points back in the 90s or something and don't travel to the resorts so they use them for cruises. Unless you're in that situation there is no way it makes sense.

Echo the same as above. Look at the points charts and then do the math. I'm sure there is some tiny group of people that accumulated large amounts of direct points back in the 90s or something and don't travel to the resorts so they use them for cruises. Unless you're in that situation there is no way it makes sense.
Hmmm. There are probably only a few resorts where the conversion is better than just the annual dues, let alone the amortized cost of ownership.

I booked a trip last minute (DCL last minute, which was many months in advance!) and the DVC cash rate was significantly cheaper than the DCL rate. We paid points for one person and paid cash for the rest. It was cheaper than DCL. I was told that the DVC prices are set at the beginning of release and if the DCL prices go higher due to quick bookings, you can get into the situation I found. That was pre-placeholder so people would book cruises they knew they wouldn't take just to get a placeholder which increased prices prematurely. I found a quirk in the system.

I booked a trip last minute (DCL last minute, which was many months in advance!) and the DVC cash rate was significantly cheaper than the DCL rate. We paid points for one person and paid cash for the rest. It was cheaper than DCL. I was told that the DVC prices are set at the beginning of release and if the DCL prices go higher due to quick bookings, you can get into the situation I found. That was pre-placeholder so people would book cruises they knew they wouldn't take just to get a placeholder which increased prices prematurely. I found a quirk in the system.
This makes me sad because we recently paid insane last minute pricing on a holiday cruise and definitely should have tried using points instead. 🤣

So you booked DCL through DVC using cash at fares close to opening day rate? I didn't realize this is possible.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter