• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone Rent an ECV, Ramp and Minivan?

disneynutsss

I'm a Disney Nut!
Has anyone ever rented an ecv, ramp and minivan. Would it be possible to do this and drive the ecv up a ramp into the back of a minivan?

Yes, it is possible. However you are looking at over $100 per day (including taxes) to rent a ramp or lift equipped van in addition to the ECV rental prices. If you can lift 40 pounds into a car trunk, you are much better off renting a large car.

I was going to rent a regular minivan or 15 passenger van from a rental car company, remove the back seat(s), then rent an ECV and a basic ramp from mobility express. I was wondering if anyone out there has done this before and if it worked?

We have looked into this and every company that we have called will not let you take the seat out under ANY circumstance.
So the only way to do it is a van with a ramp for the $100+ a day for it.

The 15 seat vans have been cited for having a large number of rollover accidents. I can't find a link about insurance, but I remember news stories last year that indicated many insurance companies would not cover their customers driving them. Some states also passed laws (from what I remember) requiring special licenses to drive them.

Last Spring, we rented a Chrysler Town and Country van with "Stow and Go" seats. These seats fold up and fold into compartments in the floor of the van to make a flat area. But, if you need 5 seats or more, you might be out of luck since some seats would be folded into the floor. (Depending on how much room you need for the ecvv in the back, you may only have seating for 4). And, there is no guarantee in renting that you would get one of those vans.

One of those folding ramps also would not save you lifting, since most of the ramps weigh about 35 pounds, not a whole lot less than the heaviest part of a disassembled ecv. Plus, you would have to find a place in the van to stow the ramp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter