• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone quite ill after 1st Moderna?

Thanks for all the well wishes and responses in general.

@Christine I know exactly where I got it. I was with my daughter at an indoor restaurant / bar on Saturday (for her job). I do not take my mask off anywhere but in my home, but did to eat dinner that night. Everyone at our table (except us) was already vaccinated and I felt fairly "safe".

There's no other rational possibility unless I got it walking thru a grocery store in my N95.

I cannot even describe how disappointed I am. I have a nearly 6 month old niece we've never even met because we have been so careful and follow all the "rules" and then some. The only time we break protocol is for work / work related events. (I have had to have a few "lunch meetings" etc. and there are things I've had to attend with / for my daughter.) We own DVC and have cancelled multiple trips and have points we may lose. And then I get covid 3 days after my vaccine. I am trying not to throw a gigantic pity party, but.....yeah. I feel pretty sad.

Last edited:
I was expecting the chills/achy/fever response after my second dose of Moderna because that was what I had heard from others but instead it hit my stomach with extreme nausea (the next day). I went 36 hours without being able to eat. I was only able to drink water and a little broth. I *thought* my stomach was a little upset after the first dose but it didn't stop me from doing anything and I wasn't sure it was the shot. By the next afternoon after the second shot, though, I was completely fine. And hungry!

I was prepared for the same after my first Moderna shot and I was completely surprised when I got home and started vomiting! Keeping my fingers crossed that the second shot is not as bad but am ready to be down for the count.

So sorry to hear you have COVID. So frustrating so close to being fully vaccinated! I hope you feel better soon.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but hope you have an easy go of it and a quick recovery.

After the first Moderna shot my wife had a headache and a sore arm over the next 24-48 hours, but then was fine. My son and I had Pfeizer and both had the sore arm. Mine got gradually worse the day of, and then gradually better the next day. But it was never debilitating. I also developed a headache around the 24 hour mark and that lasted about 24 hours. Nothing else. My son reported no other effects. 2nd shots are pending.

I agree with this. Within 72 hours of vaccine, I would say it seems probable that it is vaccine-related. If it is, it should go away pretty quickly. Have you had COVID before? If so, then it’s an even more likely it is the vaccine since your body was not COVID naive to begin with. If you develop more “cold” symptoms like cough, nasal congestion, or sore throat I would say get tested.
QUOTE="Christine, post: 62872443, member: 2975"]
That's true also. If you've previously had COVID, the first shot is going to be worse for you. Although I'm still perplexed on a fever starting at almost 3 days post vaccine. Still within the realm of possibility.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Within 72 hours of vaccine, I would say it seems probable that it is vaccine-related. If it is, it should go away pretty quickly. Have you had COVID before? If so, then it’s an even more likely it is the vaccine since your body was not COVID naive to begin with. If you develop more “cold” symptoms like cough, nasal congestion, or sore throat I would say get tested.
QUOTE="Christine, post: 62872443, member: 2975"]
That's true also. If you've previously had COVID, the first shot is going to be worse for you. Although I'm still perplexed on a fever starting at almost 3 days post vaccine. Still within the realm of possibility.
[/QUOTE]

She's got COVID.

DS22 had his 2nd Pfizer dose on Wednesday. Thursday morning, he was he was fatigued but said he was going to push through his classes (he's in college about 2500 miles away). By Thursday evening, he was vomiting. He texted me about every three hours overnight, saying he woke up to vomit again. The poor guy was miserable. Yesterday, his stomach had calmed down but he was still fatigued, had a headache and chills. He never took his temp, but thinks he had a fever. He sipped water and Powerade all day and was able to eat some toast. Today, he woke up with a headache, probably from dehydration. He took Tylenol and is going to try to eat and drink a little more than he did yesterday. At least he has the weekend to recover. I'm really hoping that if/when booster shots are required, he doesn't have this reaction again!

DS22 had his 2nd Pfizer dose on Wednesday. Thursday morning, he was he was fatigued but said he was going to push through his classes (he's in college about 2500 miles away). By Thursday evening, he was vomiting. He texted me about every three hours overnight, saying he woke up to vomit again. The poor guy was miserable. Yesterday, his stomach had calmed down but he was still fatigued, had a headache and chills. He never took his temp, but thinks he had a fever. He sipped water and Powerade all day and was able to eat some toast. Today, he woke up with a headache, probably from dehydration. He took Tylenol and is going to try to eat and drink a little more than he did yesterday. At least he has the weekend to recover. I'm really hoping that if/when booster shots are required, he doesn't have this reaction again!
I'm so sorry. That's rough when they're away from home.

I'm so sorry. That's rough when they're away from home.

Thanks. I guess he's feeling better today because he and his roommate decided last minute to get tickets to a baseball game. They jumped in the car and stopped by the roommate's mom's house on the way. She texted and said my son looks good. I guess the side effects cleared up as quickly as they hit.

Covid positive.
How are you today OP?
How awful, this happened to you.

I've known quite a few people from 20's up through 70's who have had Moderna without complaint. I hope the stories about the vaccines preventing that whole long hauler situation are right for your sake. Best wishes that you feel better.

How are you today OP?
How awful, this happened to you.

I've known quite a few people from 20's up through 70's who have had Moderna without complaint. I hope the stories about the vaccines preventing that whole long hauler situation are right for your sake. Best wishes that you feel better.

Thank you. The worst was when I had the fever and it was really horrible. I thought I was home free once that subsided, but not so. Very tired. I can't really describe it, but there's a little something in my chest... like if I breathe really deep, but I'm not really coughing much at all. So, it's stressing me out more than anything. I want to get up and do things, but I can't. I can't help but worry about things taking a turn for the worst. I also don't really have much of an appetite, so I'm sure not eating isn't helping the way I feel.

Thank you. The worst was when I had the fever and it was really horrible. I thought I was home free once that subsided, but not so. Very tired. I can't really describe it, but there's a little something in my chest... like if I breathe really deep, but I'm not really coughing much at all. So, it's stressing me out more than anything. I want to get up and do things, but I can't. I can't help but worry about things taking a turn for the worst. I also don't really have much of an appetite, so I'm sure not eating isn't helping the way I feel.

If you can make sure you get up and walk around if you can to help protect against pneumonia. If you haven't already do a teledoc appointment to see if they can prescribe something. Budesonide is looking like it may help with the breathing symptoms. Best wishes for your recovery.

That's not good, such a scary thing and you were so careful. If you notice any issues exhaling get help right away, issues inhaling people know to look for but issues exhaling sneak up on a person. Also, try to stand and sit up as much as you can, lying down means shallow breathing and it's not good for lung issues. Do you have a pulse-ox? Not sure where you are but some pharmacies do same day delivery.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the well wishes and responses in general.

I know exactly where I got it. I was with my daughter at an indoor restaurant / bar on Saturday (for her job). I do not take my mask off anywhere but in my home, but did to eat dinner that night. Everyone at our table (except us) was already vaccinated and I felt fairly "safe".

There's no other rational possibility unless I got it walking thru a grocery store in my N95.

I cannot even describe how disappointed I am. I have a nearly 6 month old niece we've never even met because we have been so careful and follow all the "rules" and then some. The only time we break protocol is for work / work related events. (I have had to have a few "lunch meetings" etc. and there are things I've had to attend with / for my daughter.) We own DVC and have cancelled multiple trips and have points we may lose. And then I get covid 3 days after my vaccine. I am trying not to throw a gigantic pity party, but.....yeah. I feel pretty sad.

It sounds like a pity party is totally justified. :hug: I hope you feel better soon.

That's not good, such a scary thing and you were so careful. If you notice any issues exhaling get help right away, issues inhaling people know to look for but issues exhaling sneak up on a person. Also, try to stand and sit up as much as you can, lying down means shallow breathing and it's not good for lung issues. Do you have a pulse-ox? Not sure where you are but some pharmacies do same day delivery.

I do have a pulse ox and check it almost obsessively. lol Thank you for the heads up on exhaling.

I know I'm not supposed to be laying down so much. It is so hard. I'm just so tired. I could sleep non-stop. And I'm a back sleeper, which is even worse I guess.

I'm not coughing much, but I don't know if that's good or bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter