• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone not get motion sickness?

Nicoleclaw

DIS Veteran
I’d love to hear from people who are prone to motion sickness that were surprised that they were able to ride Remy, FOP, MMRR, MFSR, etc with no problems. Bonine makes me exhausted and doesn’t seem to work! I’ve got the patch, but keep hearing horror stories of side effects. I love Soarin but occasionally look to the side of the screen/wall to get my bearings! I’m
not a fan of spinning either. Any info appreciated!

Last edited:
I get it occasionally and I was surprised to have survived GOTG recently with zero ill-effects.
Remy had its moments but I was fine.
MMRR has just one scene that messes with me, again not too bad.
I’ve seen some trouble on Star Tours, and hit my head on the wall when I sat all the way in the back on the left. That wasn’t helpful. I still love it.
MFSR is fine if you focus on the center of the screen as a pilot. If you’re behind the pilots, just keep looking at your buttons.
FOP is really individual. I’m usually fine on it but it’s a lot.
I recently discovered the motion-sickness glasses sold on Amazon for about $15. They look crazy but you might consider them. They gave good reviews.

My mom gets pretty severe motion sickness and Runaway Railway is fine for her! I warn her to look to the side during the water scene in front of the screen, since it's just a few seconds it's no problem and she said she just closes and opens her eyes fast so see snippets without feeling like she is moving so much :laughing: She has no trouble with Toy Story Mania for comparison.

I won't let her try FoP, Smuggler's Run, or Remy since the simulated motion is for the entire ride and there's no way she could handle that.

So my issues tend to be screens with glasses. FOP is rough… Remy bothers me a little too. It is a cute ride, but since it throws me off I usually skip it. Soarin is good unless I’m stuck on the very end…. the screen distorts too much. I haven’t had any issues with Guardians (don’t look at the moon was the advice I got and I’ve been fine). I rode Star Tours for the first time recently and did fine, but closed my eyes for the jumps. MF is the wild card depending on the pilot… some rides great, others feel a little off. I don’t do any meds… I’ve considered trying dramamine for FOP, but just haven’t done it yet.

I used to get terrible motion sickness as a kid, but it eased as an adult. My wife and eldest do too. We were very cautious as my wife has a phobia of vomiting. We did Flights of Passage, MMRR, Star Tours, MFSR (without my wife) and Soarin with no problems. The only ride which actually made me sick was Expedition Everest - I was shocked at the intensity of that. I think it was the backwards section which did for me. But we were fine within about 2 minutes.

So my issues tend to be screens with glasses. FOP is rough… Remy bothers me a little too. It is a cute ride, but since it throws me off I usually skip it. Soarin is good unless I’m stuck on the very end…. the screen distorts too much. I haven’t had any issues with Guardians (don’t look at the moon was the advice I got and I’ve been fine). I rode Star Tours for the first time recently and did fine, but closed my eyes for the jumps. MF is the wild card depending on the pilot… some rides great, others feel a little off. I don’t do any meds… I’ve considered trying dramamine for FOP, but just haven’t done it yet.

It is weird, as F of P I found absolutely fine as did my whole family. I had heard that it was a ride that had very little motion sickness reports.

I usually do fine on all Disney rides except RNRC and Everest. I still ride them but don’t feel so well after. GoTG shocked me how sick it made me feel. Today is our 2nd Epcot day and I’m not sure yet if I will ride it again.

Motion Sickness is not something that you can control when it comes to having it. Your inner ear is making that happen and your internal gyroscope is malfunctioning. The medicines are helpful to keep it a little more functional but, the side effects are sometimes worse than the problem.

There is a relationship between visual and physical movement. Myself, I'm pretty stable if I can see, cover my eyes and I tend to want to fall over, however, I never feel dizzy. I have ridden everything in Disney and other parks and have never had a single problem with any of them. Everyone is different.

In WDW you usually can have choices and there are many signs that warn people of possible motion problems and suggest ways to help prevent it with the milder ones, but fortunately, not many of Disney attractions are massively violent in movement. Simulators are usually the worst offenders especially if the movement isn't in direct synchronization with the picture you are looking at. Check out some of the videos on You Tube that take you on the rides and make some preliminary thoughts about what might or might not bother you. Don't worry about seeing them on video will upset you actual real life experience. The magnitude of the detail and color and sound is so much more vivid in person, but it can help you sort out what seems doable and what does not.

I get terrible motion sickness. Star Tours is the worst. FoP makes me clammy but I get over it quickly. I even get clammy on Toy Story. Going backwards on Everest gets me nauseous as well. Universal is the worst. Forbidden Journey, Simpsons, and Minions are a no-no. Transformers is pretty bad too.

Bonine and Dramamine make me very drowsy so it make the park day harder to get through. I’m a seasoned park goer. For my recent trip, I bought an Emeterm motion sickness band (Amazon). It was a gamble, but I really wanted to ride Guardians without medication. It’s also very pricy. There are a lot of reviews that says it doesn’t work for them but it 100% worked for me. It’s also quite the experience to wear it (small shocks). I went on Guardians and Mission Space back to back with zero, and I mean zero issues. None of the other rides affected me either. It will always go with me to every theme park from now on.

Bonine doesn't bother me but it only helps me on the ocean, doesn't do squat on rides. I can do some rides but not others.

MMRR doesn't bother me as far as motion sickness but the dancing scene hurts because it jerks me around. FOP used to bother me more at first because I couldn't keep the glasses on my head, they have changed them but it still takes me a minute or two to not feel a little woozy when I get off, I rarely ride it. Remy doesn't bother me at all but I rarely ride it just because I'm not a fan and it's not worth the wait. MfSR doesn't bother me at all and I'm almost always the engineer. GOTG was bad for me, its a smooth roller coaster but wow it got me, I closed my eyes about 1/4 through and kept them closed. I then had to sit in the shade for about 1/2 hour sipping water and convincing myself I was o.k. One and done for me. EE is o.k. I close my eyes during the backward part but do get a headache just from the roughness of it. Can't ride RnRC at all but it's because I'm small and even if I brace myself it still throws my poor head and neck around. Soarin is just great, no problems at all no matter where I sit (other than the darn leaning things). BTMRR is fine, Splash if fine, SDMT fine, SM nope but just because the darn thing is so rough. Mission Space have not tried nor will I. Star Tours, nope. It doesn't make me as sick as some do but it's pretty closed in. Love, I mean love, love, love ToT. Will ride it back to back again and again. 3D doesn't always bother me because Toy Story is fine and it's 3D and spins.

I don't typically have an issue with motion sickness, but I went through a bout of just feeling really unwell on our trip in May. Whatever they give out for nausea at the First Aid station is amazing. Works great and NO grogginess. I should have saved a package, but it's probably not available in Canada anyway 🤷‍♀️

I do get motion sick.
I can do FoP, Remy, MMRR.
I need to focus off screen at the buttons on Smuggler's Run.
Can not do Star Tours and one and done on Guardians

I get pretty bad motion sickness and usually skip Star Tours. I rode all the rides listed without incident if I was wearing my SeaBands. The first time we rode Remy I didn't have them on and felt it. After that I wore them for all rides and had no issues. I was so happy I could ride Cosmic Rewind because I got really sick at Universal on mummy. I loved CR and wish we could have gotten a chance to ride again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter