• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone nervous about how they will feel once they get to WDW in COVID-era

. I work at home so I’m not used to wearing a mask for long bouts of time, and definitely not at a theme park in Florida. I want to go so bad, but I keep getting scared that once I’m already there I’ll feel like I’ve made a mistake.
Define mistake. If it entails not enjoying the trip because it will be decidedly a different experience, then you may have made one.

Are you the sort who can be flexible on a WDW vacation?

Not being flip here, suggest you start ‘mask training’ at home. I’m talking wearing while you work but, also take a nice, long walk with one on every day.

Have had one DS get the virus, appears to be what they term a long-hauler as lingering bronchial issues...he developed covid pneumonia. Would like to think he will fully recover.

DH & I are in the groups that often don’t do well with the virus. I’ve not stepped foot into a store since xmas shopping was done. Surprised how much I enjoy having somebody plop my groceries in my trunk for me :). I am climbing the walls lol

We enjoyed our trip in Sept/Oct just fine. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. I’m a type A personality, surprised myself how adaptable I can be when things are totally beyond my control.

We did cancel our Xmas time trip. Infection numbers were out of our comfort zone. Another DS’s family kept the trip and had a great time.

We are up to bat next Wednesday for a long weekend in the world. The mr was chomping at the bit so I acquiesced, as we both have our 2nd shots in place. Have a 10 day trip planned starting the end of April.

Admit to recently becoming a bit concerned when I saw that park hours were extended a few times for next week. Going to assume this is in response to whatever crowd forecast is in place or possibly an increase in capacity.

Yes, it is traditionally the start of spring break period. However, since the majority of public schools & colleges in our area started this semester late & are working straight thru till Easter, had expected it not to be relatively quiet...surprise lol!

Worst case, we’ll hit the parks early and retreat to our resort & chill. If both onsite & off restuarants are overly crowded to point where we aren’t comfortable, will do take out.

flexibility is absolutely essential to adhering to whatever your particular sensibilities of safety protocols are IMO

We are on our way to HHI. We finally feel as if we are ready to try. We both have had the two injections, we are both mid-seventies. We probably booked and cancelled 5 2020 trips, although two of our FL friends did go for a night here and there. We were happy they felt safe enough to be there. We were not.

Thankfully DVC put back the borrowed 2021 points. We have 18 points disappear tomorrow night.

We have sanitizer and masks and will be as careful as can be, and we will have to accept the consequences of this trip. We just got away from a rest stop in NC where a woman ran in holding her hand to her mouth, the hand was supposed to be her mask.

I like the idea that you wear a mask at home to at least be used to it. It’s difficult for me, it does affect my vision. I don’t wear glasses, but my balance isn’t good. I wish you well, and hope you do get to enjoy a trip without fear.

We have a high risk child. We will not be going to WDW until transmission is significantly lower.

Luckily, we traveled in February 2020 before covid exploded. We had borrowed a decent number of points from our Sept. 20/21 UY for that visit.

I just banked the rest of those 20/21 points to 21/22. Hoping we will be able to go before those banked points expire in Sept. 2022.

It was just by chance that the timing worked out this way and I am thankful for it. Here’s hoping for a 2022 trip.

I keep booking trips to WDW on DVC points but I keep finding myself chickening out and canceling or postponing the trip, pushing it back to a later date. I think it’s because I have this underlying anxiety that once I get there I will feel uncomfortable regarding crowds and the virus, as well as just the way things are now.

I was just curious how others are feeling and handling thoughts like this?

I took a couple of trips in the fall since I had use-it-or-lose-it options for timeshares (DVC and non). I tried some new restaurants and enjoyed the warmer FL weather. I tried the Skyliner and visted Riviera to see the mosaics and grab lunch next to the water. I skipped the parks since the value wasn't there for me (no shows/no fireworks and sure, it's a long stretch to wear a mask).

I have a stay booked this fall after I will definitely have been vaccinated. If Chapek is still...what is the opposite of Walt's notion of "plussing?"...reducing the reasons to visit the parks - cutting shows, staff and fireworks and such to soak the suckers who will continue to pay a premium regardless of the cuts, I will spend most of my time and money offsite.

Just bank your pts and look to the future IMO.

We aren't nervous at all, but understand it's a personal call for each person/family. We would prefer disney be wide open and let each family decide whether they are comfortable or not interacting with the world unencumbered, but we don't own disney so just go with whatever they decide on their property. Your question is a very personal one for each person, but I'm guessing a majority agree with your hesitation (to answer your question more directly).

We finally booked a July vacation. We had a Thanksgiving 2020 trip planned but cancelled. In retrospect, we probably should have gone as covid levels were on the low end at that time before all the holiday surges kicked in. I would love to go at an "off" time to avoid bigger crowds, but I don't want my kids missing any more school than they already do, plus my state has a quarantine requirement upon return.

All of this is very personal. Everyone has such different experiences with covid especially depending on where you live.

We are not looking to the scorching earth feel of July so we already have the mindset that we will visit things in morning and late afternoon and do resort/pool relax things in middle of day. I will burn to a crisp otherwise.

We also feel much more positive about that trip as we will most likely be vaccinated by that point and herd immunity will be much higher just with sheer time going by. However, no one in my family is high-risk and we are youngish so we have less concern on those fronts.

If you are that nervous, you have already answered your own question. :love:

No need to be scared. It’s up to you to do it safely. Only you know how safe or not you are.

We have visited WDW twice post pandemic. One 2 week trip in August and a 4 day trip last week. Also, have another trip planned for Easter. The 2 week trip in August was great. We avoided places that made us uncomfortable (there were not many). It was a really great trip. There were significantly more crowds our last trip, last week, but we still avoided places that made us uncomfortable, but the increased crowds did require us to be more flexible. Still had a great experience. We were tested after each trip, and we came home virus free each time. We live in NY and drove both times, as we did not feel comfortable flying in this environment. We are very excited to go back next month!

I think if we were within driving distance we might feel differently, but I am not comfortable with an airplane yet.

Do what you need to do - we are making great progress on getting vaccinated and the end feels so much nearer than even a few weeks ago!

It’s so interesting to read everyone’s opinions and thoughts on traveling to Disney these days!

We decided to cancel our May trip as we would be bringing our 1.5 yr old and I think that would be stressful enough during normal circumstances, but adding Covid to the mix just made it seem to be too much. My husband and I are still planning on going in september (I’m assuming Covid will be almost a non issue by then... I hope?) but our son won’t get to come with us as he’ll be over 2 by that point and won’t be able to comply with the face mask that would be required of him. I’m really sad that we won’t be bringing him for his first trip. As another poster mentioned, at this point we’re just banking and looking to 2022, although part of me gets so sad thinking of 2022 without magical express😢

My kids have been in person school since August. Plus I am a substitute teacher who is in the classroom almost every day, volunteer at my youngest pre school by driving the before school elementary kids in a large van, etc... All include masks (well except for pre school students at my youngest's school) and distancing but honestly, once you are living that life, you don't really stress too much. We are taking the precautions- masks, distancing, hand washing, sanitizing but it's easier for us to "live life" because that's what our lives entail. I am receiving my 2nd dose of Moderna in less than 2 weeks and I feel more at ease for myself for sure.

Saying that, if my kids were still distance learning and we were home all the time, I might feel differently. We are all different people with various levels of comfort. Do what is right for YOU. Points shouldn't come before mental and physical health.

I went in late September and mid November. The first trip I had a little bit of a hard time, not that I was scared but I was sad it wasn’t “normal”. All day wearing mask was hard (I’ve been working at home almost a year). I missed fastpasses. Hated the shorter hours and no hopping. I remember thinking if I didn’t already have November planned with my friend I would cancel.

Went in November and it felt better. I was more used to the mask, hours were longer, lines were not as long. Felt more relaxed. I was glad I went.

Going in mid April and glad park hopping is back. Probably head to Epcot for Flower and Garden evenings. Staying at Riviera for the first time, exactly one year from our cancelled trip. Still bummed though that we lost MK Moonlight Magic last year.

I have cancelled 2 trips so far. But not due to the Ro. I refuse to pay full freight for a quarter of the experience. When all the Covid "safety" measures disappear, my family will reappear at the parks. Simple as that. I have an early November trip booked right now, but will cancel if things aren't normal in the swamps.

Last edited:
I am in the UK, and have a trip planned over Christmas and new year. I am desperately hoping we are allowed to fly and we can visit our second home at OKW. It's been too long, and I am so over all the restrictions!
Myself and my husband have had our first covid vaccinations. The rollout is going brilliantly here in the UK, and is also doing really well in the US from what I understand. We were told these vaccinations are the miracle cure to end this nightmare, so I'm going to trust the science.

So in conclusion, no I don't think I will feel at all nervous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter