Anyone need any Holiday recipes?

lisafromkraft

Earning My Ears
Hi - My name is Lisa and I work in the Kraft Kitchens. Do you need help with Holiday recipes - or have any cooking questions? I'd love to help.

Here is a really nice recipe you might like to try -

Chocolate Cream Ornament Cake

Prep: 20 min.
Total: 1 hour 20 min. (incl. cooling)

1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
1 ice cream cone
1 piece red string licorice (2 inch)
Decorating gel
Colored sugar

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Prepare cake batter as directed on package. Blend in dry pudding mix. Pour evenly into prepared pans.

BAKE as directed on package. Cool 10 min.; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add whipped topping; stir until well blended.

PLACE one of the cake layers on serving plate; spread with one-third of the cream cheese mixture. Cover with remaining cake layer. Spread top and side of cake with remaining cream cheese mixture. Poke two small holes in bottom of ice cream cone; insert ends of licorice into holes leaving small loop at top. Place cone next to cake to resemble ornament hanger. Decorate top of cake with decorating gel and colored sugar as desired. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 16 servings, one slice each.

Easy Decorating Idea:
For fun and easy patterns, place cookie cutters on top of cake and fill in shape with colored sugar.

Thanks Lisa! I need some ideas for a nice Christmas Dinner for 2. Any suggestions?

I know whenever it is just DH and myself for any Holiday, it is hard to find just the right recipe - sometime I do a small rib roast, but there are leftovers, and I'm not big on re-heating a roast. So this is a really nice recipe to try for the holiday - beef tenderloin with a simple creamy risotto. It is perfect for 2.

Beef Tenderloin with Creamy Risotto

Prep: 20 min.
Total: 45 min.

1/4 cup Kraft Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing, divided
3/4 cup chopped zucchini
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp. Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
2 beef tenderloin steaks, (4 oz. each), 1 inch thick

HEAT 1 Tbsp. of the dressing in saucepan. Add zucchini, carrot and red pepper; cook until crisp-tender, stirring frequently.

STIR in rice, broth, milk and mustard. Bring to boil; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 min.

MEANWHILE, cook steaks in remaining dressing in skillet on medium heat 5 min. Turn steaks over; cover. Cook an additional 5 to 8 min. for rare to medium doneness. Serve steak with rice mixture.

Makes 2 servings.

Substitute:
This recipe is also great with Kraft Italian Dressing.

Wow Lisa, what a great offer! :teeth: Welcome to the boards by the way. ;)

Do you have any suggestions for sugar free cookies? I'm diabetic & never bothered in the past when sweeteners tasted so yucky. But now with the new sweeteners you can cook with....I thought you might have some ideas. :teeth:

Hi Lisa -

I am looking for an icing recipe for sugar cookies. However, I don't like confectioners sugar.. Can you help?

I am also looking for a chocolate crust recipe for my chocolate chip cheesecake. I can't find plain chocolate cookies to crumble anywhere.

Thank you!

Lisa, you rock! I need a Crockpot recipe for an appetizer/hor deurve that does not involve meatballs, cocktail weinies or sausages. If you or anyone else has anything, I would love to know!!!

Hi Lisa welcome to the boards now watch out you may get knocked over by questiosn like...what should I make for dinner I am so tired of making...!! :lmao:

Well I am sure I will have one of those nights this week so! Cookies I am getting bored of making cookies and loved those recipes you posted thanks and happy posting!!! :goodvibes

I have been trying to post a recipe for you but since am new to this board, am having trouble (get a message about URLs?) I will keep trying. Lisa

For a cookie crust for cheesecake, generally I use Nabisco Famous Wafers - they are a plain thin chocolate cookie that come in a narrow box (yellow, I think!) wrapped in plastic, where you can see the cookies. Are they available in your area? They've been around forever.

You could also try using Oreo Cookies for the crust. I will post a chocolate cheesecake recipe that uses them. Lisa

lisafromkraft said:
I have been trying to post a recipe for you but since am new to this board, am having trouble (get a message about URLs?) I will keep trying. Lisa

Thanks so much for trying! I appreciate it.

I know there are some limitations when you're new for posting photos, but didn't realize there was one for links too. :confused3 Maybe you could just post the general location & a name? (like at KraftFoods look for Yummy SF Cookies ;))

Or there's always the spell it out workaround... www kraftfoods dot com slash recipes ...that kind of thing.

HI -

In response to the request of The Fidge, I wanted to give you this great dinner idea. It is easy to make, using boneless chicken, so it is quick, too.

And after eating all those cookies, don't we all need to "lighten up" our meals this time of year! This should just fit the bill. :)

Chicken and Spinach Risotto

Prep: 10 min.
Total: 30 min.

1 Tbsp. oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 cups baby spinach leaves, washed, dried
1-1/2 cups instant white rice, uncooked
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
1 can (10-1/2 oz.) condensed chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese

HEAT oil in large deep nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add chicken; cook 10 min. or until chicken is cooked through, stirring frequently.

ADD spinach, rice, tomatoes, broth and water; mix well. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 5 min., stirring occasionally.

STIR in the Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings.

Substitute:
Substitute 1/2 cup dry white wine for 1/2 cup of the broth. Cover and refrigerate remaining broth for another use.

Substitute:
Prepare as directed, using Kraft Reduced Fat Parmesan Style Grated Topping.

Most recipes for frostings, as you have found, use powdered sugar. It gives that nice, smooth testure you want. What types of frostings do you like on cakes? Often you can use the same frosting, just a thin coating, for cookies.

Here is a nice chocolate glaze you could use. It has only 2 ingredients - chocolate and butter, so is really easy to make. It would work well on cookies, and is also a great glaze for cupcakes and cakes.

I'll keep looking for something non-chocolate.

Lisa

Chocolate Glaze

Prep: 5 min.
Total: 10 min.

4 squares Baker’s Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1 Tbsp. butter

PLACE chocolate and butter in small saucepan.

COOK on low heat until ingredients are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring constantly.

Makes 1/2 cup or 8 servings, 1 Tbsp. each.

Use Your Microwave:
Microwave chocolate and butter in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 min. or until butter is melted, stirring after each min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

Many dips can be either held in the slow cooker after you've cooked them, or adapted to the slow cooker. Often you need to brown something first in a skillet or pre-cook and ingredient, like in the recipe here.

It is a great cheesy dip that is made with broccoli. I hope you like it.

Lisa

Hot Broccoli Dip

A cheesy dip mixture, flecked with broccoli, onion and mushrooms, is made in a slow cooker that keeps it hot until serving time.

Prep: 5 min.

1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 pkg. (10 oz. each) frozen chopped broccoli
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) Velveeta Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut up
3 cans (10-3/4 oz. each) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can (4 oz.)sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Wheat Thins Big Snack Crackers or Ritz Toasted Chips

SAUTE onions in butter. Cook broccoli and drain off water. Place all ingredients except the chips in slow cooker. Cook on high setting until VelveetaA is melted; stir. Reduce heat to low; heat until ready to serve. Serve with crackers or chips.

Makes 7-1/2 cups

I promised a cheesecake recipe with a chocolate cookie crust - here is a really delicious chocolate cheesecake to try. It does have some liqueur in it, but that is optional and I genarally make it without.

Lisa

Chocolate Royale Cheesecake

Prep: 30 min. plus refrigerating
Bake: 1 hour
Total: 5 hr. 30 min.

1-1/2 cups crushed Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (about 18 cookies)
2 tsp. butter or margarine, melted
4 pkg. (8 oz. each) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. (8 squares) Baker’s Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted, cooled slightly
1/4 cup hazelnut-flavored liqueur (optional)
4 eggs
1 Tbsp. sifted powdered sugar
1/3 cup mixed berries

PREHEAT oven to 325°F if using a silver 9-inch springform pan (or to 300°F if using a dark nonstick springform pan). Mix crumbs and butter; press firmly onto bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes.

BEAT cream cheese, granulated sugar, flour and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add melted chocolate and liqueur; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour over crust.

BAKE 55 minutes to 1 hour or until center is almost set if using a silver springform pan. (Or, bake at 300°F for 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes or until center is almost set if using a dark nonstick springform pan.) Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Top with powdered sugar and berries just before serving.

Makes 16 servings.

How to Press Crumb Mixture Into Pan To Make Crust:
Use bottom of straight-sided glass to evenly press cookie crumb mixture onto bottom of springform pan.

I have never made this particular cookie - it is a recipe I found on the Splenda sweetener website. I do not have any association with them, but I have made some recipes with their sweeteners and they are generally good. And the newer sugar substitutes, whic are blends and can be baked, are so much better than the old ones.

Good luck - I know that it can be very difficult to deal with diabetes, esp. at the Holidays when there are so many "treats" around.

Lisa

Coconutty Bars -
serves 18

crust:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed
1 cup flour

topping:
2 eggs
1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 cups coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine crust ingredients until a dough forms. Press into 13X9-inch baking pan. Bake 10 min.

Topping - Blend eggs, brown sugar blend, vanilla, flour and baking powder. Stir in coconut and pecans. Spread over partially baked crust. Bake for 20 more minutes.

Thanks Lisa! And welcome to the Dis too! I didn't realize you were new.

Mmm, broccoli cheese dip, right up my alley!!! Thanks!

If you're up to it: I'm making mini brownies (in a muffin tin) for Christmas Eve dessert. I want to frost them using my Pampered Chef piping thingie (real technical, I know!). Any ideas for flavors? I was thinking Peanut Butter for some, coffee for others, cream cheese maybe? I need a recipe that will make a creamy frosting. Anyone?

saucymb said:
Mmm, broccoli cheese dip, right up my alley!!! Thanks!

If you're up to it: I'm making mini brownies (in a muffin tin) for Christmas Eve dessert. I want to frost them using my Pampered Chef piping thingie (real technical, I know!). Any ideas for flavors? I was thinking Peanut Butter for some, coffee for others, cream cheese maybe? I need a recipe that will make a creamy frosting. Anyone?

I don't have any recipes for you but since you are in Charlotte I'll just drive down and help you eat them though. :cool1:

Hopefully this little bump will catch the eye of someone who has a great recipe for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter