jevs

Boring Poster
12718182_1068654733185039_2302958001872245232_n.jpg

Count me in too. Yesterday was the leftovers day at our house

Yup....that's me. Start out with a couple of great meals in the beginning of the week and am ordering pizza by the end. :rotfl:

Yep, I think about planning and that's about it. Like Low-key after being at work for 9 hours then coming home and working out, it's whatever is easiest. I hate to cook and that doesn't help. We grew up living from pay check to pay check, my mom was a stay at home mom (the 50s) and we had 6 kids (5 boys) she was a master at meal planning. Daddy got paid once a month so she planned out a whole month worth of meals and boy she stuck to her plan. She did love to cook though and could cook hamburger in a thousand ways.

I guess you'd call us "planners". We're incredibly busy. DW works full time, I work full time...plus my commute is 60 miles each way. During weekdays, we get up at 4am, work out, go to work, then come home and then are right back out the door taking the kids to sports practices. All three play sports nearly year round...it's lacrosse season right now (and I'm helping coach DS12 team). So our free time is fairly near zero. However, we're health/nutrition nuts, so we won't do fast food or quick things like pasta.

We cook in bulk every Sunday. For example, last Sunday I grilled about 5lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast and 5lbs of center cut pork chops. DW made a bunch of tilapia for herself (yuck). So when we come home, just heat, add a quick veggie and voila. Very similar for the kids. They either eat the meat I cooked, or sometimes DW will bake a large dish of something on Sunday too, like casserole. We also do the same for our lunches. We pre-pack the entire week for us and the kids. Sunday morning is basically an assembly line in the kitchen.

We have a cycle -
Monday - left-overs or repurposed from Sunday's dinner
Tuesday - tacos
Wednesday- fish or pasta
Thursday - grilled something or other
Friday - pizza or we go out
Saturday - something quick
Sunday - a big meal that becomes leftovers and or lunches.

I usually cook or my DH does. He hates the planning part so if I tell him what to cook hes fine to do the actual cooking. Wednesday is always Mcdonalds as DD has dance at dinner time (5-5:30pm) so they just grab it a bring it home. There is only 3 of us but we all pack lunches every day so if we grab Pizza or Chinese food, the leftover go for lunches for a couple of days. I make lots of casseroles as DD7 only like PB&J sandwiches which she can't take to school. So she get casseroles in her thermos.

We're largely a take-out family, but I average cooking 3 or 4 times a month. DH sometimes fixes breakfast &/or grills on Sundays. I used to cook all the time, when I was healthy. I really miss it, but my knees rarely cooperate now.

I meal plan a bit. Sundays in the winter I usually cook a crock pot meal and then have leftovers for one of our gym nights. Monday and Wednesday are easy to put together meals like chicken stir fry with frozen stir fry veggie mix, soup and salad, or flatbread veggie pizza. The other gym night is sandwiches or rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. We eat out on Fridays as it is our date night. Saturday night is pick up salads or subs night. We are empty nesters and don't really care a lot about putting together a complex meal.

I would so like to eat out more but not in the budget. I meal plan for during the week and sometimes we do eat out or take out on the weekend. I make lunches for DH & DD. Things like leftovers or shredded italian herbed chicken with rice, egg salad, tuna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter