Anyone live or vacation in Maine?

Thanks, everyone; @leebee you are a wealth of information! I'm narrowing in on a few potential areas now. There are tons of cute cottages on VRBO and Airbnb for pretty reasonable prices (cheaper than Disney deluxe, anyway). There are so many beautiful places in Maine that it's hard to choose! Luckily, a lot of stuff is within fairly easy driving distance of each other.

Now I've got to decide if we want to stay in once place for the whole week or so and use it as a "home base," or stay in two or three places for a few days each. They both have advantages.

We'd like to do some hiking, some kayaking/canoeing/paddle-boarding, explore quaint little towns and cute shops, see lighthouses, maybe go boating, see anything and everything related to the Stephen King books, walk out on piers (I love piers), maybe go to an old-fashioned boardwalk/amusement park (I've seen one in pictures, not sure where it is), see local points of interest, and eat, eat, EAT lobster and anything else yummy we come across. We're not so much interested in outlet type shopping, general museums that don't pertain to local history etc., or attractions of the type that we can find at home.

I'm kind of afraid that once I see Maine I'm going to want to move there, and I KNOW I'm not equipped to handle the winters! :)

OK, this is long, sorry, but...
I spent my summers at York Beach. Now, we live in Orono which is a 5 minute drive north of Bangor, and my sister and brother both still live in York. My sister has a shop in Portsmouth, NH now but has also had shops in Ogunquit (both downtown and in Perkins Cove) over the years, so I am pretty familiar with that area as well as up here.

I don't know where you are coming from or flying into, but if you are flying you might want to consider Manchester, NH instead of Boston or Portland, ME. MHT is a great airport, lots of airlines fly in, and it's cheaper to rent a car here. It also keeps you out of the quagmire and parking lot of Boston traffic. I know my way around, but when my sister and BIL (from New Orleans) arrived last week they got turned around and ended up SOUTH of Logan airport instead of going north! To give you some idea of the driving distance/timeline, I can go from MHT to Portland in under 2 hours, from Portland to Bangor in about 2 hours, from Bangor to Bar Harbor in about an hour (ALL depending on traffic). Speaking of traffic, it's bad in the summer. On Friday afternoons, northbound from Boston to Portland you can add on about an hour; same southbound on Sundays. Getting to Bar Harbor from Bangor, usually about 60-90 minutes, can take up to 2 hours or better. From most of Maine, there are basically two roads into Ellsworth and then one road into Bar Harbor. Just be prepared for bad traffic if you are traveling on weekend days or holiday times (DO NOT DRIVE TO BAR HARBOR ON THE 4TH OF JULY. It's OK to already BE there, but don't try to GO there!).

If you want to do a driving trip, fly into somewhere and drive to Bar Harbor. It's a great location for kayaking, paddle boarding, etc, and there are plenty of boat trips (several hours to full days) to go out and see whales, puffins, or whatever is in season. My DD has even gone out on a working lobster boat for the experience. It's also nice to spend a day driving/walking around Acadia National Park (Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Seal Harbor, Cadillac Mtn.), walk the Marginal Way and be amazed at the mansions. It's also nice to drive around the island to the quiet sides, like Southwest Harbor. There are nice hotels, chain hotels, motels, and B&Bs everywhere. Nothing's cheap, some are stupidly expensive in the summer. If you are only staying there for a few days, I'd rent a place IN town instead of out on Rt.3 somewhere (where it's cheaper). It's fun to be right in town, be able to walk to shops, restaurants, breweries, etc. You're going to spend the money anyway, and in 3 months you won't miss the extra $50 you spent to stay in-town.

Stephen King? You want to be in Bangor, either on your way TO Bar Harbor or when you leave. (Maybe drive up to Bangor, stay the night in a hotel, then see King's house and drive out to BH the next day). There isn't a whole lot of SK related stuff to see/do, other than pose for pics outside his home. Although the settings of his books are local-ish, most are imaginary and just built on local spots. One spot that IS real is from the beginning of Pet Sematary), where the jogger is running in front of the dorm on the UMaine campus. I lived in that dorm, sat in the Great Room there while reading this book, and could see what SK was describing BUT it's not like there's anything there to tie it into the books or commemorate it or anything. The Kings are pretty low-profile around here, although they are HUGELY philanthropic to UMaine and the community in general, underwriting things like community parks, Children's Museum, Bangor Ballet, University scholarships (my DD was a King Scholar), etc.

After leaving the Bangor area, you could drive south down the coast and catch some lighthouses. Camden is pretty (drive up Mt Beattie for a breathtaking view of the coast) and then on to Owl's Head Light, Portland Head Light (Cape Elizabeth- southeast of Portland), and The Nubble (in York) are a few worth mentioning/seeing. If you are interested in Old Orchard, it's south of Portland. You could end up in the Ogunquit/York area, which would give you the Nubble, several beaches (Ogunquit Beach, or Long Sands or Short Sands, both in York), shopping, quaintness, outlets in Kittery, tax free shopping in Portsmouth (and more quaintness). We went to Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth last summer and it was totally worth it. It's an historical living history museum right in downtown Portsmouth.

If I wasn't doing a driving trip, I'd get a cottage in the York/Ogunquit area, walking distance to a beach, and spend my days on the beach or driving around the area, shopping, eating, etc. (NOT that I've stayed there or know the owners, but I do know that Rocky Acres in York, listed on airbnb, is within a 5 minute walk of Long Sands beach- I am 99% sure you'd be able to hear the waves at night, pretty much!). WE've also stayed at the Lighthouse Inn & Carriage House and The Anchorage Inn, both in York, and I'd stay in both again. Most of the places in Ogunquit are reputable, but always check things out on TripAdvisor. Remember that many of these are old-timey motel-type accommodations (unless they are a chain hotel, most of which aren't within walking distance of a beach). They might be a little run down, but most now have a/c and wifi. ALSO remember that the Atlantic Ocean is COLD. We often rate the coldness by how far up your legs you are numb; anything lower than the knees means I'll go in, if only for a brief, brave dip. If I'm numb to the knees or hips, we just wade for a bit, or stay in the shallows, hahaha! Water in August is usually the warmest, but there's no pattern or predictability. If you want to do a lot of swimming, you might be better off with a lake vacation!

Winter? It su@#s up here, but it's not so bad in the Portland area. Their weather is pretty similar to Boston's weather. Up here... not so much, it's great in the summer but can be killer cold and snowy in the winter!

Wow, thanks, @leebee, this is awesome! I won't quote that whole entire post, haha!

We'll be flying from Tampa Fl, and then renting a car. I looked into Portland and fares were very cheap (around $200) but i didn't look into rental care fees there. I'll be sure to check Manchester too.

We are actually thinking about being there the week of July 4th, but we can go any week in July so maybe that's a bad idea. We'll be sure not to be traveling on the 4th if we do go then. Where would you suggest to stay for the 4th? Is Bar Harbor the most fun? I'd prefer woodsy, secluded cabins, but maybe for the 4th we'll want to stay where there's some touristy action since we won't want to have to drive to it. Maybe we could spend the night of the 4th in a hotel in a beach town.

Thanks for the advice about traveling taking longer in summer. I'm really going to have to keep that in mind.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'd like to spend a day touring Boston. A day is enough for us; we just want to hit the highlights. Then a couple days in either Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, York or somewhere around there to explore that area. Also, I found a really cute beach house on VRBO that says it's about 6 miles form Portland, so it might be nice to stay there a few nights. Then head north and see Bar Harbor and Bangor, and spend the night up there somewhere, not necessarily in one of those towns. And I'm considering maybe heading a little inland and spending a night or two in a lake cabin. Is Sebago one lake or a group of lakes? I'm finding that confusing.

Thanks for all the advice!

Edited to add that nothing on my itinerary has to be in that order, and I could ditch Boston if it doesn't make sense to try to fit that in.

Just re-read everyone's posts. Salem MA and puffins and whales are definitely on the agenda!

Coming out of the woodwork to add a link to Stephen King Tours here: https://sk-tours.com/activities/tour-of-stephen-kings-derry-maine/

I live in Bangor, spend my summer weekends on the beach in southern Maine.

This is great! Thanks! This is at the top of my "Must-Do" list!

So--just curious--do you ever see the Kings around town? I'm sure everyone respects their privacy and leaves them alone, but it would be so thrilling to me just to catch a glimpse! I don't at all expect, of course. Just the thought that it's possible would be exciting to me.

Maine is amazing. Definitely hit Portland, it’s a very charming city. Seabago Lake is beautiful and I’d highly recommend. You have Sebago and little Sebago. I spent a lot of time there, boating, fishing, swimming, jet skiing, water skiing, etc.

This is great! Thanks! This is at the top of my "Must-Do" list!

So--just curious--do you ever see the Kings around town? I'm sure everyone respects their privacy and leaves them alone, but it would be so thrilling to me just to catch a glimpse! I don't at all expect, of course. Just the thought that it's possible would be exciting to me.

I went to high school with his youngest son, so we would see him at the different games and things like that. In fact, one of my friends dated the son (for a short time...high school haha). Nice people, down to earth. This was back in the 90's... long ago!

Leebee gave you great information. My dd is in school in Maine, so I've been up there a lot over the last few years, so I can add a little bit from a tourist perspective, since I've been there so much.

I've found rental cars to be comparable between Portland and Manchester (and Bangor, which you can fly into fairly cheaply IF you book way in advance. From DC, I can get there for $220 RT or $220 one way or $400 one way, depending on how far in advance I book.) but not Boston. However, flights into Boston can be cheaper, so do the math for total cost.

I would highly recommend not doing a full week in one place to get a good variety. Maybe two or three towns over the course of the week such as Portland/Kennebunk, Bar Harbor for a few, and either Belfast/Camden or somewhere inland by the mountains. I spent many weeks on a pond inland as a kid, and you can get more out of different starting points.

The food in Maine is outstanding. Lobster, Haddock - it's all good. Must have is a lobster roll. And the sweets!!! In Portland (or Scarborough), stop at the Holy Donut. If you are there in the summer, try their blueberry donut. OMG. Ice Cream! Everywhere - it is outstanding. I love Giffords, but most towns will have small specialty shops. Seems to me that mid-coast there's a truck with homemade ice cream, but I haven't tried to find it yet. There are hiking trails everywhere, and the Appalachian Trail ends in Maine. One of my favorite restaurants of all time is the Home Kitchen Cafe in Rockland, which is only open for breakfast and lunch. (These are the places I'll miss when dd graduates.)

As for lighthouses, they are up and down the coast. If you head out to Tenant's Harbor, there is a light house there that was used in Forrest Gump. I happened to go at sunset, and it was really cool. I haven't headed inland yet to the lakes and mountains, but there are places that do tours (I believe in canoes) in hopes of seeing moose. (It was my goal to see one, but hasn't happened yet, although one early morning one was running around dd's campus.)

The people of Maine are lovely. We made friends with a couple of women that run an Alpaca farm. They are so passionate about their farm and stores and do tours. (pm me if you want info.) Of course you don't need alpaca warmth living in FL, but their shops are great. While I haven't run into Stephen King there, I did see him doing a lecture there. If you haven't seen it, UMaine press put out a book called Hearts in Suspension, which is a lovely memoir from him and his college friends about their time there.

Maine is just a very special place. If you want to get a feel for the personality of the people, check out the Bangor Police Department Facebook page. It has changed some as it has grown so popular, but there are still some gems there. Look for an open letter to Mid-Atlantic folk from a couple years ago, when a blizzard was aiming for us. It's a classic.

I've always wanted to go and I'm thinking about renting a cabin there this summer, or possibly staying at a resort or hotel.

We'd like to stay somewhere where we could drive to lots of things to do/see. And I absolutely love Stephen King and would like to see anything touristy related to him/his books. I don't know what there is but since he was born there and lives there, and most of his books take place there, I'm sure there must be sites to visit.

Does anyone know of any nice areas to stay? Near the ocean would be nice, but I might almost prefer to be on a nice lake or even a river.
I grew up in the town Stephen King lives in. People go to see his house, but there's not really other touristy stuff to do with him- or at least there hasn't been (I don't live there anymore but my parents still do). He keeps a low profile there, although he and his wife have made very generous donations to renovate the public library and similar stuff.

I went to high school with his youngest son, so we would see him at the different games and things like that. In fact, one of my friends dated the son (for a short time...high school haha). Nice people, down to earth. This was back in the 90's... long ago!
Did you go to BHS? I did but seem to remember Owen didn't...or maybe I was too old (graduated in '89).

Loved reading this thread!

We go to Wells most years (my family has a house there) we are skipping in 2019 and I’m so upset about it! This thread didn’t help!

This thread has me longing to go to Maine again. We went for 9-years in a row to Ogunquit. We've stayed primarily at Anchorage by the Sea. We like it because it has an ocean front pool and Jacuzzi and a grassy area with chairs that look over the ocean.

A trip to Ogunquit is not complete without a pilgrimage to Freeport to go shopping. We love the LL Bean flagship store, but even more, we love the LL Bean Outlet store. Whenever we go there, we stop in Yarmouth at Day's Lobster Pound for the best lobster rolls we've ever had.

My DH was hesitant when I told him that I wanted to go to Maine. "What's there?" he said. I told him that they couldn't have the nickname of Vacation Land for nothing. He only wanted to go there until I put my foot down because I wanted to go to islands with water that wasn't freezing. The food in Ogunquit is a foodie's dream! It's just such a quaint town.

A dear friend of mine that I've known for 50 years this year has lived in Maine for the past 35 years. She lives right on the ocean in Cape Elizabeth just outside of Portland. They had a lovely cottage for years and years, but finally built their dream home about a decade ago. It is truly one of the most magnificent homes I've ever seen. When I wake up in the guest room I have a fabulous view of the ocean.

Portland is truly a great city. Fabulous food and lovely architecture. I really enjoy visiting there. I've also stayed with other friends in rented homes up and down the coast. Can't even remember the names of the cities now - but all were great. Several people in the South rent a home there every year for a month or so. And I've been their guest so I didn't really make any plans.

Portland is our favorite city. Either coast Portland, actually, but the Maine one is easier to get to since we're in Pennsylvania. We love visiting Maine and the surrounding area. Being one of the first people in the US to get the sun's rays atop Cadillac Mt followed by a blueberry pancake breakfast in Bar Harbor is one of our must-dos.

This thread has me longing to go to Maine again. We went for 9-years in a row to Ogunquit. We've stayed primarily at Anchorage by the Sea. We like it because it has an ocean front pool and Jacuzzi and a grassy area with chairs that look over the ocean.

A trip to Ogunquit is not complete without a pilgrimage to Freeport to go shopping. We love the LL Bean flagship store, but even more, we love the LL Bean Outlet store. Whenever we go there, we stop in Yarmouth at Day's Lobster Pound for the best lobster rolls we've ever had.

My DH was hesitant when I told him that I wanted to go to Maine. "What's there?" he said. I told him that they couldn't have the nickname of Vacation Land for nothing. He only wanted to go there until I put my foot down because I wanted to go to islands with water that wasn't freezing. The food in Ogunquit is a foodie's dream! It's just such a quaint town.

When we go to Ogunquit, we always stay at the Anchorage by the Sea. You just cannot beat the location. We love that it’s right by the Marginal Way and a short walk to the beach. You can easily walk into town from there, too. My parents always stay at The Pink Blossom, which is across the street and down a little way from the Anchorage. We may try a stay there next time we visit Ogunquit if I can pull myself away from the Anchorage.

Just re-read everyone's posts. Salem MA and puffins and whales are definitely on the agenda!

I have family in Maine in Nobleboro right on Route 1. They used to live in Waldoboro and owned an ice cream place there. My uncle's profession is as a lobsterman. Fond memories of all the lobster we wanted for dinner. We used to always visit the Maine State Prison (don't laugh) as they had a store on the premises with items that the inmates made...some really lovely stuff and some kitchy stuff but it was always fun to visit!

https://www.maine.gov/corrections/industries/

An interesting story about a purchase I made there....I found a lovely, small green stool in the shape of a turtle...I fell in love with it and bought it. I wanted another one so the next time we visited I asked if they had any more. I was told no that the prisoner who made it was released (good for him). The next year we visited the store again. Guess what was back....the turtle stools. Felt bad the guy was back but glad I was able to buy another one!

And...if you do go to Salem, MA make sure you look for one of my ancestors. My great, great, great, etc. grandfather has a statue in his honor (founder of Salem, MA) in the center of town. Right near the witch museum. His name is Roger Conant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Conant_(colonist)

Enjoy your trip to New England!!!

ROGER CONANT.jpg

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter