• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone live near Macon, GA or stop there on the way to Disney?

DianeV

DIS Veteran
Looking at stopping somewhere near Macon on our way to Disney via I75. I am not familiar with the area. Are there any areas that are better than others as far as exits? Any clean reasonable hotel suggestions to just stop for the night?
thanks!
Diane

Haven't lived there for a long time but it is a lovely place and your second day of driving won't be bad at all. If you are looking for a beautiful place to spend the night I highly recommend the 1842 Inn!

I live here! Bass Road exit 172 is a great place to stop off, multiple places to eat from fast food to Italian and Mexican restaurants. There's also a nice hotel but I can't think of the name off the top of my head (really a shame since I work right there and pass it at least twice a day!). Another good exit is the very next one, Tom Hill/Arkwright Road, there's 4+ hotels right together and quite a few places to eat. Once you get past those exits I wouldn't want to stop anywhere else until you get to Perry or Warner Robins, south Macon isn't the best area and there aren't many hotel or places to eat.

1842 Inn is lovely but expensive and closer into downtown, it won't be as easy to jump off the interstate or find food. At least that's my opinion and I live close to downtown.

From Macon it's right at 6 hours to Orlando so not a bad drive!

We take 475 around Macon (from Atlanta on 75). There's a cluster of hotels/motels at exit 3.

We take 475 around Macon (from Atlanta on 75). There's a cluster of hotels/motels at exit 3.
Good to hear. We are driving for the first time from Nashville and plan to stop on Macon on the way down. We've booked a hotel off exit 3. Are there places to eat at that exit?

Yes, I can't remember exactly what all is there, but definitely a Waffle House :)

If exit 3 is the Eisenhower Parkway exit then, yes, there are several restaurant options there. My wife and I usually stop there on the way down ourselves.

You should definetly take 475 instead of going into Macon. Cuts a little travel time.

dont stop in macon. i live in the area. wait till u get to warner robins. take 475 and skip macon and look for a hotel at either the byron exit or the warner robins exit. everything at the warner robins exit is much newer. its the 247 connector/watson blvd exit.

Not being familiar with the area will this be difficult and I have no idea about 475 either. We usually just go straight 75 and either drive straight through or have gone all the way to Valdosta

Not being familiar with the area will this be difficult and I have no idea about 475 either. We usually just go straight 75 and either drive straight through or have gone all the way to Valdosta

475 is just a bypass highway. I don't even think it's 20 miles. You leave 75 a few miles before Macon & rejoin a few miles South. It's a little more direct & saves a little time, especially around rush hour. It's a breeze & all the hotels/motels are right by the exits.

I'd imagine you've taken 475 on your prior trips as it's the most direct route and I'd imagine most maps and GPS units would use it as a normal route.

I'm back! So anyone have any particular hotels to recommend? I looked and many of the decent name brand ones are pretty expensive for just a stopover. I checked Priceline Express and think I matched up a few but that's not for sure. In Warner Robins I think I can get Wingate or Country Inn & Stes for about $83 total / and possibly the Holiday Inn Macon North for about $104. And that's cheap for decent looking hotels from what I see. We just want clean and a lot have some bad reviews about nasty bedding and floors and hair and bugs. If anyone knows of any 2 1/2* or even 2* that may have a good reputation I would appreciate that too!

Yes, I can't remember exactly what all is there, but definitely a Waffle House :)

What is it with Georgia and Waffle House. They are everywhere. I just got back from there and there were at least half a dozen WH within the 15 minute drive between my hotel and the sports complex we played at.

Exit 146, turn left. Lots of good restaurants and hotels. Warner Robins.

We just want to set something up ahead of time for chance of a better rate and to know where we are going....someone messaged me about a Super 8 Macon west that is supposed to be clean enough for a one night stop. Anyone else know about that one?

With regards to setting something up ahead of time. DW and I just got back from a trip to visit family in Kansas City (a 2 day drive for us). Instead of planning stops we found it better to just drive and stop with several exits marked at 8hrs, 9hrs, 10hrs, etc. on the way up we made great time and stopped at out 10hr mark at 3:30, swam, ate, relaxed. On the way home we hit traffic and after 11hrs only progressed 300miles, it was rediculous.
My point is if you make reservations, check the cancelation policy. I had no trouble walking in and getting the same OTD price as advertised by Priceline or anyone else.
Have a safe and Fun trip.
Paul

We ended up just doing a Priceline bid and ended up with Holiday Inn Express Macon West. Looks like its at the bypass. As long as it is clean I am ok

We booked the La Quinta Inn & Suites Macon West for our late Sept trip (stop overnight on the way down). Looks newer and has an indoor pool in case kids want to swim. Around $100 for the night including tax. Seems to be the going rate.

We booked the La Quinta Inn & Suites Macon West for our late Sept trip (stop overnight on the way down). Looks newer and has an indoor pool in case kids want to swim. Around $100 for the night including tax. Seems to be the going rate.
And this thread prompted me to recheck rates and I have cancelled this reservation and re-booked at Comfort Suites Macon West. La Quinta was heavily pet friendly and while I love animals, I don't travel with mine and don't want the possible odor. Got a suite for $15 less at Comfort Suites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter