Anyone have the 411 on Earl of Sandwich?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I've been taking the 12 year old on a bunch of public transportation based food tours, including Southern California but more recently closer to home. We're planning on doing this on this weekend, but the plan is probably to end up in San Francisco at the 4th and King Caltrain station. Maybe a little bit more time in San Francisco, but I did check some maps around the station for places to eat, and I noticed there's an Earl of Sandwich location across from what's now Oracle Park. There's only one other location in the San Francisco Bay Area.

https://locations.earlofsandwichusa.com/us/ca/san-francisco/201-king-st---unit--213

Seems pretty interesting. Might get a little bit crazy because the time we get there will probably be around the time that the Dodgers play the Giants (game time 6:05 PM). Also, it sounds like they're normally closed on weekends (the neighborhood may be pretty dead on weekends because it's mostly office buildings) unless there's a game where they're open for a couple of hours before game time (looking at Yelp reviews/photos). But crowds aren't going to bother us, and by the time we get there we'll be taking public transportation with frequent service (the commuter trains operate hourly). Looks like most sandwiches are $9.99. Not sure what to get. Not sure what the size is and whether or not one would be enough to split with a 12 year old.

I always say everyone should try things for themselves, but, IMO, EOS is incredibly overrated on this board. It's no better than the majority of fast food sandwich places. I'm convinced the price point makes it popular in Disney Springs. People tend to judge food based on the price they paid for it relative to the area. As far as splitting a sandwich goes, it's probably not enough, if both of you are really hungry and like the sandwich. One is more than enough for DH & me. Obviously, I definitely wouldn't make a special trip to eat there.

I always say everyone should try things for themselves, but, IMO, EOS is incredibly overrated on this board. It's no better than the majority of fast food sandwich places. I'm convinced the price point makes it popular in Disney Springs. People tend to judge food based on the price they paid for it relative to the area. As far as splitting a sandwich goes, it's probably not enough, if both of you are really hungry and like the sandwich. One is more than enough for DH & me. Obviously, I definitely wouldn't make a special trip to eat there.

There's no special trip planned. My plan was to take Caltrain all the way to the 4th & King St Station in San Francisco and then I looked at a map to see what might be around there. If that's not available we probably head for Union Square to see what they might have.

There's no special trip planned. My plan was to take Caltrain all the way to the 4th & King St Station in San Francisco and then I looked at a map to see what might be around there. If that's not available we probably head for Union Square to see what they might have.
If you're already there, you might as well give it a try. As a Floridian, I can't imagine wasting a meal in SF on EOS, but I know you live there. It's all a matter of perspective.

If you're already there, you might as well give it a try. As a Floridian, I can't imagine wasting a meal in SF on EOS, but I know you live there. It's all a matter of perspective.

It's just one of those names that I've heard of but never tried. And yeah I've heard a lot about certain chains and have been underwhelmed. But then again I've been

Still - the one place in San Francisco (and elsewhere) that I never get tired of is Boudin. It can be kind of touristy, but I enjoy it.

We like the Holiday Turkey, the Hawaiian BBQ & the Original. Also, their brownies, brownie whoopie pies & cookies are pretty good. We really miss the DTD location.

We’ve eaten there just once, at DS a few years ago. I believe I got the Original 1762, DH got the Cuban, and not sure what others in our party got. It wasn’t bad, but there are other things we prefer to get at DS since these are similar to what we have at work. (And who wants to think about work while you’re at DS?) It’s nice that you do that with your son.

It's just one of those names that I've heard of but never tried. And yeah I've heard a lot about certain chains and have been underwhelmed. But then again I've been

Still - the one place in San Francisco (and elsewhere) that I never get tired of is Boudin. It can be kind of touristy, but I enjoy it.
We also liked Boudin, when we ate there many years ago.

I like EOS, usually buying the Italian sandwich. As far as splitting, it depends on how hungry you are and whether you want to buy sides or not. I usually buy a sandwich and chips, and am just satisfied when I am finished. However, they do have sides and cookies or brownies for dessert, so if you want to sample a wide variety of choices, I could see splitting the sandwich. The sandwiches are maybe 6-7 inches long, and maybe three inches wide, served cut in to two pieces, so they aren’t huge. It’s not like sharing a foot long sub.

It was closed. Their listed hours say that they’re closed on weekends, but I heard that they’re open on event days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter