Anyone have a high interest savings account?

. My parents were fortunate they never had to take out a mortgage, but they told me never to buy a house that cost more than three times your yearly income or take on a mortgage that's more than 20% of your monthly income. It makes sense.

We were first generation homebuyers (with no parents to tell us what to do) and did 36% because of the expensive house market we live in. I wished we went a little higher like 40 or 43 bc we had a good handle on financial outflow, pay quickly increased and the new build vs 40 year old house we bought is making a lot of sense now.

Ah well, we vacationed a lot with that extra money and paying off mortgage super fast.

When I opened my AmericanExpress Savings account they had a bonus, if you're an AmEx card holder, they seem to cycle through bonus offers every now and then. Rates are about the same as Ally/CapitalOne. I use it as a revolving savings for future large-ticket items, like the DVC contract I want at VDLH ... (or my next car since I don't know exactly when I'll need to access the money).

Good for ease of use and competitive rates. Just another option.

I used to use ING before CapitalOne bought them but then they were annoying to use after.

Got an email today from Marcus that the savings interest rate is now 2.5%. I pulled some money out to get the Ally bonus, but it will be going right back to Marcus when I get my bonus.

I see CapOne is now advertising 3.0%.

Even if you retire with a ton of money health issues and long term care can eat up all your income and your kids are left with nothing. If Southern California is your happy place and you are not living on the streets than it doesn't really matter what others think. Life is short. "You come into this life with nothing and you take nothing out."

We will have very low cost health insurance for life due to military retirement. It's one thing we don't have to worry about. I am very grateful we will have that.

And you are right. We are happy here and have done just fine renting all this time. I dont mind continuing to do that forever, honestly.

I got mad at Cap One when I saw you had to open a different account to get the higher rates. I have at least ten accounts there, since they were ING. I took most of my money out and moved it to my ALLLY and Discover accounts, who both raise the rates in your existing accounts when they go up.
Yup I did the same. Was a customer with ING since 99. Also closed my normal non ING Capital One high interest checking account when they took away interest and the unlimited and instant ATM reimbursements. Still have my “Electric Orange” checking account that has been renamed to something cap360 name.

I must say I’ve been pretty happy with discover and Ally so far

We will have very low cost health insurance for life due to military retirement. It's one thing we don't have to worry about. I am very grateful we will have that.

And you are right. We are happy here and have done just fine renting all this time. I dont mind continuing to do that forever, honestly.
The upkeep on a house is ridiculous. Even though our house has tripled in price I’m not sure we’ll ever get back what we put into it.
There is always something that needs to be replaced or fixed. It’s the main reason people have to pull money out of their equity.

We don't spend on our old house, yet. I go to other houses and I'm like oooooooh!!!
when we bought our current house, 7 years ago, we liked that it needed some updating. We figured, we had 4 kids, we'd update it after we ditched a few kids and could enjoy the niceness. We've updated a few things, like the kitchen and the master bath. The list of things to do one day is long! But, the house is very livable, and much more than we could have afforded if it had been pristine.

The upkeep on a house is ridiculous. Even though our house has tripled in price I’m not sure we’ll ever get back what we put into it.
There is always something that needs to be replaced or fixed. It’s the main reason people have to pull money out of their equity.

That's what I like the most about renting! It's never *my* problem when something breaks.

We've been using Ally for years and very happy with them. I finally convinced ds22 to move his savings from our local bank to Ally. He is saving for a house and has quite a chunk already. It was killing me to know it was in a local bank all that time earning peanuts. He just needed a little push and now is looking forward to seeing his first monthly interest payment.

Got an email today from Marcus that the savings interest rate is now 2.5%. I pulled some money out to get the Ally bonus, but it will be going right back to Marcus when I get my bonus.

I see CapOne is now advertising 3.0%.
Hi …I just opened this thread and noticed on first page , the AARP incentive with Marcus that you mentioned.
Is that still offered?
( In Florida AARP senior rate offered for AT&T monthly bills. ) .

Hi …I just opened this thread and noticed on first page , the AARP incentive with Marcus that you mentioned.
Is that still offered?
( In Florida AARP senior rate offered for AT&T monthly bills. ) .
I don't see an expiration date, you can try. You can google or try the Learn More is a live link.

Rate Bonus on High-Yield Online Savings Account​

Enter or mention your AARP membership number when opening a new account or enrolling an existing account on the Marcus website or by phone.
Members earn a rate that’s 0.10% higher than the stated available Annual Percentage Yield (APY) at marcus.com for 24 months. You can protect and grow your savings in a high-yield account that’s FDIC-insured and backed by the financial expertise of Goldman Sachs. An account can be opened online or by phone. No fees. Easy transfer from your current bank.
Learn More

or, call Marcus at
1-833-956-2277

Last edited:
I don't see an expiration date, you can try. You can google or try the Learn More is a live link.

Rate Bonus on High-Yield Online Savings Account​

Enter or mention your AARP membership number when opening a new account or enrolling an existing account on the Marcus website or by phone.
Members earn a rate that’s 0.10% higher than the stated available Annual Percentage Yield (APY) at marcus.com for 24 months. You can protect and grow your savings in a high-yield account that’s FDIC-insured and backed by the financial expertise of Goldman Sachs. An account can be opened online or by phone. No fees. Easy transfer from your current bank.
Learn More

or, call Marcus at
1-833-956-2277
The page for this rate is confusing. https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/aarp-rate-bonus#details Says that you get 0.1% 'bonus' savings, but the 3.00% rate is crossed out and 4.00% is shown.

Is the AARP rate 3.1% or 4.1%?

Last edited:
The page for this rate is confusing. https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/aarp-rate-bonus#details Says that you get 0.1% 'bonus' savings, but the 3.00% rate is crossed out and 4.00% is shown.

Is the AARP rate 3.1% or 4.1%?
I have no idea where the 4% came from, possibly some copy writer who can't tell 0.1% extra from 1%? That's weird. The base savings account rate is 3.0, you would get 3.1 as far as I can see.

the terms link says this - The APY on the Marcus Online Savings Account is 3.00% as of November 08, 2022. APY may change at any time, before or after an account is opened.

When I was in High School everyone offered 5.25% on Savings and higher rates on Money Market and CD accounts. Wonder if we will ever get back there. For seniors a high rate CD was like an annuity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter