Anyone have a backyard zero entry pool?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Anyone have a backyard zero entry pool? Collecting what might be good ideas for our next home that I want to be age in place friendly and the idea of pools came up. I can see these exist but never saw one at someones home.

We are building a pool in our backyard this summer, and really wanted either a zero entry or tanning ledge but in the end decided to go with a smaller pool (wanted a glorified plunge vs. larger w/ diving board and all that) so instead I'm doing a 12X26 with the entry side having steps across the entire width with a sitting ledge on the opposite side.

I do really like those zero entry pools...not gonna lie, we were mostly considering it for the dogs :rolleyes: but in the end we decided to put the pool in a area of the yard that was already fenced so we went smaller.

Pools are EXPENSIVE to build/maintain. If thinking about a new home where you plan to retire, I would certainly make sure to consider all the added costs/time required to maintain. Is that something you really want to spend your time doing? Pools require daily upkeep along with the cost of chemicals/service to keep it going. Depending where you live, the effective season where you can actually use the pool is also limited. The rest of the year, it is this eyesore in your backyard.

I would think that for aging in place, a lift would be a more economical option than zero entry, which takes up an awful lot of space. You could have the structural and electrical components for a lift built-in but not actually add the lift itself unless you needed it.

Pools are EXPENSIVE to build/maintain. If thinking about a new home where you plan to retire, I would certainly make sure to consider all the added costs/time required to maintain. Is that something you really want to spend your time doing? Pools require daily upkeep along with the cost of chemicals/service to keep it going. Depending where you live, the effective season where you can actually use the pool is also limited. The rest of the year, it is this eyesore in your backyard.
I have been watching some of those reno shows and some people seem to be able to build 3 season cabanas near the pool. Our goal is to never leave New England, I adore the way they protected their waterways. We were originally hoping to be near the water but the way the insurance companies all changed risk analysis and flipped the script the past two years (poor Floridians) I have been pondering ways to enjoy a water feature safely. Thinking if I can get spring through fall I'll be content.

I would think that for aging in place, a lift would be a more economical option than zero entry, which takes up an awful lot of space. You could have the structural and electrical components for a lift built-in but not actually add the lift itself unless you needed it.
It probably would be more economical but the lift seems like a thing that can go wrong. I was pondering the possibility of having a sort of gentle ramp on one side but thought it might end up being a thing people might trip over, people is me:)

We have a play pool, so not too big. The grandkids love it.
It has steps to get in and out....a grotto with a ledge.
It's salt water and we've had a maintenance person the last 4 years.

We have a large shallow area in one end of our pool. We did that as our kids were all under 4 when we built so it was perfect for the 3 of them to use it as a play / safety / confidence builder area. Now it’s a lovely place to laze IMG_3699.jpeg

@kyton that looks so inviting, just lovely. What a good idea for the shallow area, I've never seen anything like that before. Most people I know just drop a big rectangle into the ground, not knocking it but the creative stuff is very nice to look at.

I found a pic of our old pool from the first house my parents bought in FL. It was before zero entry was really a thing, but they came close. I wish they'd taken a better pic that showed the landscaped waterfall on the left and the shallowest part of the shallow end. In any event, you can see how much lighter it is near the stairs to the right. While you still had to step down into the pool (i.e. not true zero entry) the depth at the point where this person was taking the pic was only about 1'. I used to be able to put a lounge chair in there and it was shallow enough that it wouldn't float off. Obviously, before built in pool loungers really became a thing either. In any event, hopefully this pic and my added description gives you some perspective.

1712782339276.png

If you look really hard in this pic they took from the kitchen dining area, you can sort of see how there's this peninsular area on the end. This is where it was super shallow. The entire pool was a custom shape and always made us wonder if they did it because it was easier for the original owner to enter there vs. the stairs. The green part you can see halfway up on the right door was the waterfall. It had a bench in the water that was an easy shallow walk from that minimal entry point marked with the arrow.

1712782860983.png

We moved to an Active Adult Living (55+) community. We love the Zero Entry pool at our amenities center. It's like we're on vacation all summer long.

I have no pool yet, but I plan to build it this summer. I've been researching all the details now, including considering a backyard zero entry pool. Any good Barefoot Spas reviews? From what I've learned, it seems like a fantastic option for families with young children or anyone looking for a more accessible pool experience. I love the idea of the gradual slope instead of traditional steps, making it safer and more inviting for everyone.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter