anyone had a kidney stone blockage

update to kidney stones part 2

DH had the stone removed 1/4 and all went rather well--dr said hed have to have the others removed also but didnt make it sound like any big deal --we figured hed have to have it done again at this point they just wanted to get out the big stone dr came in to talk to me and I asked about the trip when he was done talking he said no problem going and he can either have the stint taken out the thurs before or after the trip
he was going to have it done before

now on to the updates--when DH called to set up before we go all of a sudden everything changed and it wasnt just to have the stint taken out the dr was going to take the stint out and then try to get stones from the right side--so first of many story changes--so he set it up for 2/4
not happy things changed with no explanation but he pushed forward
this time things did not go as well he couldnt come out of anesthesia felt sick couldnt go to the bathroom--just everything. Finally he was ok to take home--actually they wanted him out a lot sooner cause they had the wheelchair all set
there was quite a bit of blood sorry for the TMI
so he called a few times in the weeks that followed and every time all they said was thats normal yet now its almost a month and things arent going any better
they wanted him to have a CT scan done and then set up an app for the stints
great the end is coming so he had the scan 2/20 still no word on that
he called twice already and all he was told that the team hasnt read it yet
almost 2 weeks and no one has read this yet
things seem to be getting worse-biggest issue is he cant control running to the bathroom and now has depends which is making him feel depressed again sorry for TMI

the last time he had this done was several years ago and the dr took the stints out in a week
I get the feeling this dr is just seeing how far he can push DH before he pushs back
but tomorrow Im going to call and just lay it all on the line
so now has any one have any eperience in this
the bleeding for the most part is very low which is good but its the not getting back or just getting the stints out--the left side has basically been in since the 4th of jan so almost 2 months on that alone

does any of this make any sense I sometimes think he needs a different dr--when the first one retired he started going to another dr but then back in jan it was a pretty much rushed deal so he got whatever dr was there
so please any words of wisdom
thanks for listening

Is this your husbands GP, hospital general surgeon or urologist?

its his urologist
They should know best - but if you don’t feel your husband is getting good care - I’d at least get a second opinion on his course of treatment - and good luck and speedy recovery.

DH had to go back 8 times before his condition was fully stabilized, and yes, the inability to control the urge made him insane.. The doctors did warn us that his situation was particularly complicated and that his stones were very resistant to normal treatment; it took laser surgery on both kidneys to finally really pulverize them enough for the debris to be passed completely.

DH first went into surgery for this around the end of April, and after 8 procedures finally got the last stent out in mid-October. (He did find the stents quite painful as well as the constant urge; doctors said that the nerve irritation that made him constantly feel as though he had to go would wear off, but in his case it never did, which the doctor finally admitted did happen for some people. His stents were replaced twice.) DH wasn't really fully recovered until after Christmas, but did manage 3 days at WDW just before the holiday, though our pace was slower than usual. He has been carefully following his new diet, and his scan last month showed that his rate of stone formation is way down, though the doc said he still wasn't drinking as much water as he should. (He hated the constant running to the bathroom with the stents, and so he did what anyone else would do in the same situation, try to slow it by not drinking very much unless he was at home; which meant not enough. He's still working on that aspect, because his mind is now wired to worry about getting caught out in public without a restroom nearby.)

There are now water bottles, packets of Crystal Light Lemondade powder and bottles of Tums stashed around any place he spends any time, including his car, his office, his gym bag, and in the case of the Tums, also my purse. (The Tums are for times he falls off the diet wagon, for instance, eats a salad with nuts on top, in which case he has to eat dairy or a Tums at the same time, so as to try to bind the oxalates to calcium before they leave his stomach.)

Age does have bearing on this condition; the older men get the more, umm ... delicate ... their urological systems become, so it's probably not unusual that his recovery is slower than it might have been several years ago.

I do think that not getting scans read for 2 weeks is odd; DH's doctor has a scanning facility in the building, so he went there right before his appointments, and by the time he was called into the doctor's exam room 45 or so minutes later, the scan was in the urologist's hand.

Best wishes for your DH' speedy recovery; it was really hard to watch mine go through this. (And though he tried very hard to keep his temper in check, he did get very snappish for the duration, which was also hard to be patient with even though I knew why, so you have my sympathy, too.)

Last edited:
well unfortunately we heard back from "the team" today not sure if since I called this morning or if DH name now made it to top of the list but he needs to now this done for a third time in 3 months
they have to call back now to set up the app
Dh is doing better today then over the weekend

one thing that we forgot about when I called was last time when the dr was talking to me after he said that something was crooked that he was concerned about but nothing more has been said about that
any one else hear of that
also dr asked if DH second dr put the stint in DH said no you did
Im just hoping that he didnt mess something up this last time and now hes going to try to fix that
Im sorry to say but I really dont have much faith in drs
and at times I think DH should go back to the 2nd uruologist that he only saw once
and at that time really do anything for him
thanks for listening and the encouraging replies

well unfortunately we heard back from "the team" today not sure if since I called this morning or if DH name now made it to top of the list but he needs to now this done for a third time in 3 months
they have to call back now to set up the app
Dh is doing better today then over the weekend

one thing that we forgot about when I called was last time when the dr was talking to me after he said that something was crooked that he was concerned about but nothing more has been said about that
any one else hear of that
also dr asked if DH second dr put the stint in DH said no you did
Im just hoping that he didnt mess something up this last time and now hes going to try to fix that
Im sorry to say but I really dont have much faith in drs
and at times I think DH should go back to the 2nd uruologist that he only saw once
and at that time really do anything for him
thanks for listening and the encouraging replies
OMG your poor husband. I am on day 3 of having a stent after having laser removal of a 9mm stone and I am miserable. I can't imagine how he feels. It must be so discouraging. I hope he gets relief soon!

gee. My DH is going on 3 months of the stent.
But happy days he has the app thurs to get the other 2 stones and then they already set up an app for the stents out.
The office probably didn’t want to deal with me anymore
Good luck to you hope you don’t have to have them in as long asDH

gee. My DH is going on 3 months of the stent.
But happy days he has the app thurs to get the other 2 stones and then they already set up an app for the stents out.
The office probably didn’t want to deal with me anymore
Good luck to you hope you don’t have to have them in as long asDH
I only had the one large stone and they lasered it out. Mine won’t be in long but I can’t imagine :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter